V4 sound chip goes "pop" and smoke too...

class"66"

• RMweb Gold

Id be more annoyed about the loco, he does have it a little too close to the plug, I do wonder if its shorted itself out on one of the solder joints on the plug. Bad luck its annoying when a decoder goes but when it takes a loco out as well :(

I've also had 2 v4 go up in smoke. One was replaced by dc kits. Great service and will only buy my chips from them from now on. the other was a sound fitted class 25. And lets say after 2 months its still with Bachmann. Because of warrity issues. But when they went the was clag everywhere.

I've also had 2 v4 go up in smoke. One was replaced by dc kits. Great service and will only buy my chips from them from now on. the other was a sound fitted class 25. And lets say after 2 months its still with Bachmann. Because of warrity issues. But when they went the was clag everywhere.

Always had good dcc chips from dc kits :no: realy frendly service.... :sungum:

Frend of mine fitted V4 Dcc sound chip,8 pin... 

into his new (Hornby) class 60.

And then for some reason!

taped the chip down to the motherboard,was ok running for 10 mins...

Then loud pop and smoke... :cry:

Looks like a possible "dodgy" install - something has shorted badly, especially with the heat distortion on the bodyshell roof ! Some form of insulation between the chip and the main circuit board may have stopped it "frying"  I had a couple of V4's go "pop" a year or so back, thankfully both were replaced FOC 

Looks like a possible "dodgy" install - something has shorted badly, especially with the heat distortion on the bodyshell roof ! Some form of insulation between the chip and the main circuit board may have stopped it "frying"  I had a couple of V4's go "pop" a year or so back, thankfully both were replaced FOC 

Totaly agree with you,ive told my mate he may not get refund or replacement!! Because of his dodgy install :nono:

• 4 weeks later...

Where did you purchase the LokSound decoder from.    Charlie

one was a Bachmann sound fitted class 25 from model transport preston. . . still waiting for Bachmann on that  one the other was from dc kits and was replaced the next time i was at a exhibition by your fineself  there charlie   ps it biff taking his suff to reblow locos at warley ??????? cheers ian 

one was a Bachmann sound fitted class 25 from model transport preston. . . still waiting for Bachmann on that  one the other was from dc kits and was replaced the next time i was at a exhibition by your fineself  there charlie   ps it biff taking his suff to reblow locos at warley ??????? cheers ian 

Too busy to do Reblows 'PROPERLY' at the NEC, leave them though and we will arrange.   Charlie

i would take out the board and hard wire it in the loco. there is something not right for it to blow 3 ?. i had a class 20 blow 2 so just to be safe i dont leave it on the lay out when not running. hope he gets it sorted neil 

He"s bought brand new class 60 in DB livery,and another DCC 60 sound,fingers crossed this time... :no:

He"s bought brand new class 60 in DB livery,and another DCC 60 sound,fingers crossed this time... :no:

We always test locos on dcc first using a lenz decoder, these will trip out if the chassis has a fault, not blow up.  I have 8 X Cravens 105s from Bachmann all with faulty

PC Boards, work on DC but a dead short on DCC. The Lenz decoder is a must for testing, saves all that smoke!!!!!!

I never understand why people buy the Hornby & Bachmann decoders when Lenz Standards are less than £20.00.   Charlie

Archived