Who knows any good track planning softwares?

trainmaster2000

Search for Anyrail, XtrakCAD or Templot on this site using the search facility.

However I think you'll find that Anyrail will probably start off doing what you need with sectional track. The other two have many more features that you will not need and may actually inhibit you producing a plan that you can use.

However Anyrail is limited to fifty pieces of track for free, any more and you have to buy the product.

Edit: Snap

A version of XtrakCAD is free and has pretty good libraries for 00 but has a size limit (50 items I seem to recall). I have used it but got the bigger (paid for) version as I needed much more than a small Terminus - Fiddle Yard. If you have a package with restrictions, do try the layout using flexi track rather than fixed radius curves such as Hornby because each item counts against your total!

A lot depends on how familiar you are with CAD drafting at the start. Search for CAD on this site and you will find lots of supporters of a range of products.

I was ust thinking about this the other day. Though I used Anyrail a few years ago and couldn't get along with XtrkCAD (also had issues getting it to work on my Linux and Mac systems at the time for some reason).

Keep meaning to give Templot a try as handbuilt track certainly appeals, but budget doesn't quite match as yet!

I was ust thinking about this the other day. Though I used Anyrail a few years ago and couldn't get along with XtrkCAD (also had issues getting it to work on my Linux and Mac systems at the time for some reason).

Keep meaning to give Templot a try as handbuilt track certainly appeals, but budget doesn't quite match as yet!

Actually, if anything, handbuilt is cheaper.

Actually, if anything, handbuilt is cheaper.

How do you work that out? I'm not saying you're wrong, just interested. From a look on C+L's website, point kits aren't exactly cheap compared to a Peco one for instance, although the difference in appearance cannot be denied.

• RMweb Gold

As I've explained many times on RMweb, Templot is for handbuilt track only and is not suitable for ready-made track such as Peco. It is free to use.

SCARM, XtrackCad, AnyRail, Cadrail, Winrail, 3rd PlanIt and several more are for ready-made track such as Peco, and are not much help for handbuilt track. The first two are entirely free. AnyRail is easy to use and popular, and is free for small layouts up to 50 track pieces.

It doesn't help beginners if those replying mix up Templot with the others. Every time the question of "which layout planning software?" crops up, the first question is "handbuilt track or Peco? Until you know that you can't answer the question.

Just to repeat for the umpteenth time -- my Templot software is free to use but it is for handbuilt track only. I don't want other users to download it and be confused or disappointed.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

How do you work that out? I'm not saying you're wrong, just interested. From a look on C+L's website, point kits aren't exactly cheap compared to a Peco one for instance, although the difference in appearance cannot be denied.

Hi Kelly,

Handbuilt track is inexpensive if you do handbuild it, especially if you build plain soldered copper-clad track.

If you buy turnout kits and assembled components someone else has done most of the work, so it's not cheap that way. But they are a good way to get started in handbuilding. After the first one you just buy rail, timbering and possibly chairs and build it all yourself. There are lots of topics on RMweb showing how.

regards,

Martin. 

I think you will not be disappointed Trainmaster. If you have questions, just post them on here and there are many who will offer assistance. Do download the manual and read it a few times before trying to create your final plan, you will be better creating something like a branch terminus initially just to get used to using the package. From small acorns, big oaks do grow!

Archived