ideas for a new layout

DelticChris

I'm thinking of doing a 00 layout based on the north Norfolk railway more exact the sheringham station as it is today with the new crossing in place as this will give me the ability to run modern DMU's eg class 156 & 170 and run steam locos or even some older diesel locos on the same lay out so best of both worlds dose any one have any plans for any of the track lay out or building platform plans also dose any one think this is a good idea thanks for looking

Good luck with this if you go ahead with it. I live about 100yds away from Sheringham station. I think the only problem you'll have (if you're not local) is the ability to take measurements and photos of things the way they are today. Also, note that the crossing does not see a lot of use. Just the odd loco delivery in advance of a gala and the (very) occasional railtour. The Network Rail station is the wrong side of the road although I don't see why modeller's license shouldn't allow DMUs over the crossing even though it's an ungated temporary crossing. You can get a pretty good idea of today's track layout using Google Earth (see below) but Street View predates the new level crossing unfortunately. From the bird's eye view, you get a good idea of the extent of the former goods yard before the obligatory car park came along in the 70s. The road bridge at the west of the station would give a good scenic break and the buildings on the High St to the east by the crossing would give another scenic break.

post-17811-0-32256200-1382514232_thumb.jpg

post-17811-0-66695300-1382514236_thumb.jpg

That's great help I'm originaly from great yarmouth but now live in sunny Scotland I think there will be some modellers licensing in respect to the SKIs entering but like you said lifeboatman the bridge will give a good scene break and allow me to put a fiddle yard this end and there seems to be plenty of sideings so could maybe put some shunting in eg coaches, goods wagons it will be intresting to see wether greater Anglia one or what ever they call them welds these days will apply to use the line when they build the Norfolk orbital again but if not what a good length track to take a ride on.

Archived