11B

Foxthwaite is a small fictional village in the Southern Lake District. I grew up in South Cumbria and went everywhere by either train, bus or bike, and Foxthwaite brings together some of the Furness Railway things that I have come across and taken my interest from the local area.

The station building will be similar to ones at Haverthwaite and Greenodd, the Water tower like the one that was at Lakeside, goods shed like Haverthwaite, and the Signal box like the one at Dalton Junction or the one that was at Levens Junction. The station building, the goods shed and water tower in the yellow brick (Flemish bond). I have some seats that have been commissioned by the Cumbrian Railway Association with the squirrel on each end.

There will be a private line to either a quarry or mine, as originally the Furness Railway served the iron ore mines and slate mines in the area, likewise as this village is on the edge of the Lakes there is the option for tourist traffic.

layout.png

On the last scenic board before the fiddle yard the is a section that is lower so I can have two bridges like the ones at Carnforth near to the yard exit for West Coast Rail and the old wagon repair shop. At Foxthwaite the main line and head shunt will be on a stone bridge and the private will have metal bridge (photos to follow of what I am thinking of....)

The layout its self will be 600x60cm (each board 100x60cm), 400cm for the scenic section and 200cm for the fiddle yard. It needs to be of a size that can be stored in the box room (Ian’s junk room apparently!!), and erected in the dining room to work on or use. I will be “OO” gauge using Peco code 100 streamline track, and powered with DCC. It is set in the transition era of BR.

One thing to bear in mind is that this will be a slow build!

Thanks for taking the time to read, and any comments are welcome

Ian

Edited by 11B
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

As described, screams "Coniston" at me ........

Just one quibble, to use the track labelled "head shunt" as a head shunt fouls the main line, so why wouldn't you just use the main to shunt in the first place?  I can see it as a loco servicing siding with the water tower moved over there, or coal staithes if you wanted to make shunting tricky ......

And you might have problems with the crossover between the curved platforms, leaving enough space for swinging buffer beams while running round might leave a big gap to be minded between the platform and the train, please!

Best of luck, though.  Love the area.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Fair point about the head shunt, perhaps I could have used a better description? But you have got me thinking about it... Do I really need it? What would it be used for? What else could it be? In keeping with the area Lakeside had a similar "long siding", used to park excursions trains in. But also I do like the idea of a loco service area!

Likewise, I had already been thinking about the crossover in the platform, but I came to the conclusion that so long as the curve is not to sharp, and I keep the with low Furness Railway platforms all should be ok....... fingers crossed.

Many thanks

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I'm also from the South Lakes (near Arnside) and will also be keeping an eye on this one. As a heads up and saving you some scratchbuilding, Bachmann Scenecraft's stone signalbox (announced earlier this year?) is based on Arnside box and is FR through and through :)

Hi,

Nice start and the track plan should provide for plenty of interesting manoeuvres.

I hope so, may even allow some interesting stock!!!

I'm also from the South Lakes (near Arnside) and will also be keeping an eye on this one. As a heads up and saving you some scratchbuilding, Bachmann Scenecraft's stone signalbox (announced earlier this year?) is based on Arnside box and is FR through and through :)

Thanks Sandside, Only thing is Arnside box is stone, so may look a little out of place with the yellow bricks, but I may be swayed towards it depending on how the other buildings go!

Thanks again

Ian

I my first post I referred to two bridges at Carnforth,

IMG_1578.jpg

The bridge closest to the camera is a single line to what was a small wagon repair shop, the stone bridge at the back carries the Furness line branch and the exit road from West Coast Rail HQ. Over the wall is a small river, and the step hill under the second bridge goes up to a few houses and a footpath - this was the entrance to Steamtown back in its day.

Anyhow, I have been busy getting track put down, and hope that this may be completed by the end of the day, then I can start to build bridges......

Ian

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Yesterday and today should have been spent cleaning the house and doing some ironing, so yes, I started to build a bridge (yesterday evening and this evening will also be spent building bridges - with SHMBO for building bridges intsead of help with house work!!!!). This is my first serious attempt at a scratch build so....

In the first photo below you can see the gap that needs the bridges and the start of my atemp.

DSC00598.jpg

Today, the bridge has progressed, it needs the side rails putting on and painting

DSC00602.jpg

The abutments and cehter support, are currentley been worked on. I did get some slaters stone embossed card for these, but was not happy with the look of it, so have now got some wills stone sheets, which I feel look better.... photos to follow..... Then the bridge for the mail line!!!

Any comments or thoughts will be welcomed.

Ian

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well........

Lets start with a confession.... I have made the bridge for the industrial line, it is painted, and I have started to weather it. Here ends the good news!!!

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00604.jpg

DSC00603.jpg

Ok, now for the confession, I measured the width of the wagons and not the locos... Untill this point when I put a Bachmann Jinty on the bridge and the steps touched the sides, the choice of locos had not crossed my mind. I think I may have found a loco that will fit. It is a Sharpe Stewart tank, so like the exFurness tanks, and will fit the location very well, and it is HO gauge and should fit. I found these on ebay, and the seller has a shop near my parents, so I asked my dad if he could get some sizes, and the same day RJL put in his status update that he had got one, a quick email later (many thanks RJL) I had the sizes. One has been ordered with Santa (via my parents! And dad let it slip " I got you that engine") So hopefully all will be well!

Lesson form this, think about the largest item that will cross the main bridge before I cut and stick!

Talking of which, I have been working out how to make tha stone arches for this bridge, I then came across the Wills SS69 stone arches, so ordered a pack which should all been well arrive tomorrow and make life easier......

Ian

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Well it as been a little while since I have posted anything about Foxthwaite, for the simple reason that I haven't had the time to do much.... But I have now managed to build the main bridge, and start to weather it a bid, and start to get some ballast put down on the same board...

3cj6.jpg

The bridge still needs a bit of work to complete it, but still, it's built and installed so this will allow me to crack on with this board. the layout is currently kept/worked on in the box room, which gives me some room to work (ok, not very much room, but it's my room!!!).

dqmd.jpg

The photo above gives you a small view of the work so far. The black five is on the main line, and the Fowler tank is in the long siding. A HO gauge Sharp Stewart tank loco heading towards the station on the private line. Still now back to the ballasting!!!

Kind regards

Ian

Edited by 11B
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Well, having spent a week at home sat doing very little following an operation, I thought that I would see what building bit I have, and do something with them....

So far, it has been decided that Foxthwaite would have in its day been a large cattle transport station (namely to fill a gap!!!!). with this in mind I found some Wills stone sheets that I had left over from the bridge, and I ordered the cobbles which arrived within 24hrs..... Not bad for Royal Mail! And here is what we have so far... 

eus4z.jpg

I have some fencing to go on so that is for the weekend or next week!

Likewise, I found some Southeast Finecast Flemish bond brick embossed plastic card, I got this after a previous attempt for a building using Slaters embossed card, but I found that the bricks did not line up very well. I found this stuff better to work with, and it lines up very well.

3d8s0.jpg

tl3n.jpg

Now just the roof and inside to work on....

Ian

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well. It has been just over 5 months since I posted anything about my layout.....

But now that I have some room to work....

I have decided to work on one board at a time, not to sure how this will pan out? 

Over the last few weeks I have been doing a bit as and when I can, so the results so far

xmC2gh.jpg

T6HSaA.jpg

sseOZH.jpg

UZkDEq.jpg

The soil area that appears out of the hillside (left hand side of the valley) under the bridge in the first photo, is to be a small stream, with a road and farm track on the right. A path for the cattle will come down from the cattle dock to an area by the bottom of the bridge to be loaded into road vehicles. The road will continue up the other side of the valley. Where it goes, and to what it goes to, I don't yet know! The cattle dock needs a bit of work to finish it off and some of the track needs to be weathered....... 

At least I get to play trains on Saturday!

Ian

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Well.... Today I dusted off the layout.... and went for a brew :nono:

Looking at the railway room it needs a bit of a tidy up! So I decided to did out the embossed card and fire up the computer..... 

Below is an image that was kindly sent to me for my own personal use some years by the late Peter Robinson, from his own collection. It is the Furness Railway water tower that was at Lakeside station.

Lhomtl.jpg

As I have no measurements to work with, I am reduced to counting bricks in an effort to make something that looks the part, likewise I may have to be a bit creative with what the other sides will look like, and the window frames! It is worth a note that an older photo shows it with a slate roof. My dad and uncle tell me they can't remember this when they used to get sent to lakeside box for a hair cut of the veg order!!! :scratchhead:

I have spent all afternoon counting bricks and cutting the card! I have tried this before using Slaters Flemish bond embossed card but found the bricks did not line up correctly, so this time I have gone with South Eastern Finecast embossed card..... so far, so good.

Something that I have noticed whilst the colour of the bricks on the Lakeside branch were the same, the order/pattern that was used seems to vary (google Haverthwaite station and google Lakeside station), so this give me a bit of play with the colours, but it will be the yellow, red and black.

Now need to attempt to get into town tomorrow lunch or on Thursday for more supplies!

Ian

Edited by 11B
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Well a small update.

Things haven't been moving very fast. Namely down to the fact of on my days off I seem to find other things to do. Having had a bit of a think I am aiming to get at least four hours worth of work done on the layout a week. This week I am winning......

• The cattle dock is completed and painted (just needs weathering)
  • Some grass is down and hill sides in

Likewise, as per post 9, the bridge has been playing on my mind :banghead: 

The bridge was a bit narrow (note past tense!), so I have been busy removing the sides, and rebuilding them with a bit more room :victory: One side done, and well on the way with the other

Photos to follow

Ian

• 1 year later...

Well... It's been a little time since I have done any work on the layout......

Still, I seem to have found a jar of "modelling mojo" buried on the work bench last week, and even found time to play with full size trains...

I have been looking at a photo in a book of Levens Junction box which was at the Ulverston end of the Levens Viaduct about 1/2 a mile from Plumpton Junction. together with Greenodd Junction they formed a triangle at the connection for the Lakeside branch. However, finding a decent photo has proved somewhat challenging. It appears to be the same Furness design as Dalton Junction box, of which photos are a bit easier to get hold of. So hear is the start of my attempt...

I4chOX.jpg

0v4cG9.jpg

6VhiYH.jpg

Things where going fine until I rediscovered this (along with muscles that I forget I had).....

dXDguR.jpg

A day of jacking and packing track. I have got to say P-way work is less painful in 00 gauge

Ian

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Well.........

After much soul searching following them folks at PECO bring out the bullhead rail I think that it could be time to change the track work before I go any further. In the end I think that this will look a lot better.

On the up side I can do it one board at a time and await the boys at PECO to produce the required pointwork

• Like 1

What a cracking start to a layout, I certainly agree that the Bullhead rail is going to look far more prototypical. I was just wondering on how you constructed your boards as it would be great to get an over view of the current setup. Many thanks.

Rory

What a cracking start to a layout, I certainly agree that the Bullhead rail is going to look far more prototypical. I was just wondering on how you constructed your boards as it would be great to get an over view of the current setup. Many thanks.

Rory

Hi Rory

Thanks. The boards are 4x1 inch timbers with 8mm ply on the top. They are currently stacked on the corner of the box room. When.........set up it will be 6m x 60cm, each board 100 x 60 cm and join together in a straight line.

Kind regards

Ian

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Well a small but very important update!

1. I now have one box of bullhead flexy track and two bullhead points. Depending on which end I start relaying one of the points my get modified to make a trap point
  2. Having being looking at a model railway group on Facebook I find the someone has a 3mm ply, laser cut, station building of Haverthwaite. These are for sale on ebay for less than £20. Guess what I have just bought...… The same man how organised this for him self (and not the man that makes the kits) has one of Haverthwaite signal box, and one of the good shed. But he tells me that these are a one of, although the signal box kit seems to be available.... Would it be wrong to contact the supplier and ask if he can do one of the good shed????
  3. SHMBO said that the house needs work doing to it.... So apparently we are getting a new kitchen, the house re-rendered and the roof redone. The roofer is also putting in a loft window, although I may have neglected to mention this to her..... o well, hello new railway room....

So, I plan to start the replying soon, so will pop up few photos. Likewise the same when the station arrives. Hopefully Haverthwaite station will not arrive the same day that I am at Haverthwaite station.....

Ian

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well.... Having started a topic regarding imitation rail joints http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/136320-immitation-rail-joints/ this week I thought I would make a start....

So out of the box came the nice new shinny bullhead points, well one set... and lets start weathering... Having looked at these on the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Rly and Google they (depending on size, style and length) have one joint on each switch rail and the two outer rails, combined with rust and oil around the sliding chairs. So lets make Peco's look a bit more like the real thing.

First the rails got a coat of rust, then four fishplates added as per the locations above. To add the fishplates meant opening them out a bit and feeding them between the rail and the sleepers with a pair of fine tweezers, then crimping them in place.

0jdxO4.jpg

Next came the job of making the rails look like a proper joint without cutting them. So my first thought was either a very fine saw through the rail head, but this may leave to bigger gap! Next idea was scratch the metal and highlight it with matt black paint, and this was the option I went with. First scoring the rail with a fine watch makers screwdriver and then opening it up a bit with a sharp and firm scalpel blade, and finishing off by picking out the gap with black paint.

qFcGka.jpgDs2ts1.jpg

Then adding some black paint around the slide chairs

qHJNv2.jpg

Next up is some oil wash around the switch rails, stock rails and slide chairs, and some sleeper grime to finish.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Just enjoyed reading through your topic. Great choice of location and look forward to seeing it develop. I’m working on a 90’s era inspired version of Plumpton in its final years that I’ll hopefully start on soon.

All the best

Mark

Thanks Mark. Your layout sounds good, I used to spend a lot of time at Plumpton Jc as a teenager. The Houses near the bridge were on my paper round...

Kind regards

Ian

• 3 years later...