Alton Febex

Claude_Dreyfus

• RMweb Gold

It was brilliant to see you all there and meet new faces! I had a brilliant time and would urge people to go tomorrow if you're in the area.

Thanks to Matt for letting me hog his layout for the day ;), John for all the puns, banter, cup of tea and hospitality!

I hope you all had as much fun as I did, and it's a shame I can't make it tomorrow as well.

Sorry I can't remember half your names, but it was nice to meet you all from the Liphook club (John, Matt, Nick and all the others whos names I don't know/have forgotten! :rolleyes:) Nice to see layouts seen on here that I had never got the chance to see in real life such as Worcester Road, Purbeck (which I admired for about an hour whilst talking to the operators) and Cote le Stone and others.

All in all a very enjoyable day. I have a few pictures but not many that I would be willing to share.

Thanks,

Jam :D

I'm goingt tomorrow, I will be there in the morning, travelling up from Poole so will be stopping at Soton maritime and Eastleigh first thing.. May aswell make a day of it. Sounds like it should be a good one... Whats the trade like? Not that I should be spending any money..

Cheers

Scott

It was brilliant to see you all there and meet new faces! I had a brilliant time and would urge people to go tomorrow if you're in the area.

Thanks to Matt for letting me hog his layout for the day ;), John for all the puns, banter, cup of tea and hospitality!

I hope you all had as much fun as I did, and it's a shame I can't make it tomorrow as well.

Sorry I can't remember half your names, but it was nice to meet you all from the Liphook club (John, Matt, Nick and all the others whos names I don't know/have forgotten! :rolleyes:) Nice to see layouts seen on here that I had never got the chance to see in real life such as Worcester Road, Purbeck (which I admired for about an hour whilst talking to the operators) and Cote le Stone and others.

All in all a very enjoyable day. I have a few pictures but not many that I would be willing to share.

Thanks,

Jam :D

Glad you had a good time, Jam; it was good to see you again too! Shame you weren't able to get round all the layouts, though.

Similarly, Eldavo and Gordon_S and all the others I didn't get names for - thanks for dropping by; hope you also enjoyed the show!

Looking forward to meeting more of you today - 10:30 to 17:00, Eggar's School, Alton.

• RMweb Gold

Here are the best photos from yesterday, the rest seem to be slightly blurry for some reason so apologies! If anyone could fill in the gaps of the layouts I didn't get round to photographing that would be great. I meant to get some shots off of Worcester Road and Abbey Road but I didn't want to take photos without asking and as they were busy talking to the public I didn't want to distract them. Like I said, shame I can't be there today!

East Hants Light Railway

post-6776-1265535787154_thumb.jpg

Cottlestone Park

post-6776-12655358897517_thumb.jpg

W&G's Shunt-O-Matic

post-6776-12655359850211_thumb.jpg

Lynnbottom

post-6776-1265536369747_thumb.jpg

Purbeck

post-6776-12655360723006_thumb.jpg

SGK-bahn

post-6776-12655362487933_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all the Alton guys for putting on the show. It was good to meet a few familiar faces and enjoyed seeing Worcester Road.

Could have made a fortune for charity yesterday with a tow rope and a 4 x 4......

Lot's of cars stuck in the field at the back, including mine.

Thanks to the Eldavo's rope, the other Hampshire boys and a helpful guy in a Land Cruiser, we eventually managed to get out. The beemer looks like it's been real off roading, rather than attending a model show. Certainly 350hp, low profile wide tyres and a wet muddy field don't go together....

....and before anyone states the obvious, that's where the stewards sent every one. icon_thumbsdown2.gif

Could have made a fortune for charity yesterday with a tow rope and a 4 x 4......

Lot's of cars stuck in the field at the back, including mine.

Nothing new about that - I didn't think they allowed the churning up of the field. Always paark in the estate nearby or use the Focus car park (I believe there was a bus service) Like quite a few shows at this time of year - especially in schools the playing field is not suitable.

I only had an hour but still quite entertaining (trying to keep a low profile) W&G Shunt-o-matic just cannot help but bring a smile to your face - excellent bit of whimsy :D

• RMweb Premium

Finally have got home, unpacked the car and collapsed with a glass of something!

It was a very enjoyable couple of days, with some decent layouts to see.

Thanks to all those that saw through the obvious work in prgress on Yamanouchi Oshika - masquerading as Cote-le-Stone - and made some positive comments. smile.gif

Nice pictures Southern Region Steam - Would love to have been there but saturday id ended up on the SWT West Country Diversions via Castle Cary...And sunday i was to be helping out a friend of mine with her photography course, but as usal shed had a busy night out on satuday and well...you guessed it...she cancelled sunday lunchtimesad.gif

But hopefully ill be around for the next show -Altons only down the road from me and it does make a good day out*cool.gif

*but not of course for the dear old bank...

The only slight disappointment was Penhallick. I don't know if there were technical problems but there seemed to be no trains moving on saturday morning although the scenic work was fantastic.

Thoroughly enjoyable show and good value too. Both my boys enjoyed themselves with Abbey Road being a particular hit. Many thanks to all those who put in all the hard work.

• RMweb Gold

Glad you like the photos, I'm annoyed I didn't get many. I took quite a few of Purbeck whilst talking to one of the operators (who is on this forum). A very friendly show all in all. Next year if I'm allowed to go i'll make sure I get round the exhibition as soon as I get there so I don't run out of time ;) Here are a few more pictures of:

Purbeck

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the pictures Jam smile.gif

I must say though, your picture of Cottlestone Park (a.k.a. Yamanouchi Oshika) certainly highlight the work that still needs to be done! Some of the stuff we knew had to be done - road markings, street furniture etc. - however others have been picked out by cruel photographers! wink.gif

The verges need tidying up, and the road serface is too dark - this was orginally coloured to match the existing main roads on the layout.

That taxi on Lynnbottom certainly needs a bit of work; which'll be fun as it is about 5 mm long!

Other layouts seem to have fared better in the glare of the camera- light!

• RMweb Gold

No problem Nick, glad you liked them. You're too harsh on yourself! A lot of it is down to my rushed ending for photos of Cottlestone! I would have got some nice low angle shots...

Check out my Fotopic gallery of Alton Febex for some more photos plus some B&W ones of Cottlestone Park/Cote-le-stone/Yamanouchi Oshika.

Enjoy!

Sorry, Jam, couldn't find the pics of EHLR on your Fotopic gallery. Suppose it must have been tricky photographing it with the controller in your hands as well! :icon_winker:

That taxi on Lynnbottom certainly needs a bit of work; which'll be fun as it is about 5 mm long!

I'm saying nothing, Claude, except that you're welcome to borrow my magnifier headset!

Glad you like the photos, I'm annoyed I didn't get many. I took quite a few of Purbeck whilst talking to one of the operators (who is on this forum).

Guilty! Pleased you liked Purbeck and thanks for dropping by for a chat. I'll point John Thorne (the builder and owner) to the photos as I don't think I've ever seen ones in such close up.

An enjoyable show to operate at. Plenty of people to talk to, from the very knowledgeable to the young children, all of which makes the day go quickly. Quite a number of people knew the Isle of Purbeck and one gentlemen even identifed one of the people in the photographs which decorate the front of the layout.

Julian

• RMweb Gold

It was nice to chat to you Julian, please do show the photos to John Thorne, you are more than welcome to use them!

The day certainly did fly by but it was great fun with more inspiration gathered from the layouts in attendance. One of the good things about Purbeck was the fact that it was crammed with details and little scenarios that added a touch of life to the layout. This is something I have now learnt and will certainly include on Calshot.

Jam

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Great pictures, Jam. I'm especially glad you got some of the SGK bahn.

I tried to post this (a couple of weeks) earlier, but the forum was playing up really badly each time I started to write. Now that RM Web is on the new server, I'm tempting fate..........unsure.gif

Cheers,

Dave

Hi

This year was my first visit to Febex at Alton. I was very impressed and will be going again. Several layouts caught my eye but two stood out for me. They were Penhallick and Purbeck. I managed to get some pictures of these and others. Thought you might like to see them.

Penhallick

post-8259-126705445749_thumb.jpg

Penhallick

post-8259-126705442145_thumb.jpg

Penhallick

post-8259-12670543817_thumb.jpg

Even models suffer from roadworks

post-8259-12670545055_thumb.jpg

Purbeck

post-8259-126705460311_thumb.jpg

Purbeck

post-8259-126705464334_thumb.jpg

Worcester Road Shed

post-8259-126705467393_thumb.jpg

Worcester Road Shed

post-8259-126705470809_thumb.jpg

Many thanks to all those exhibitors who took the time to talk to me about their layouts.

Archived