Ruston 44/48HP

Kelly

Sadly something you don’t often see as on preserved locos now working above ground as it’s often been removed to simplify maintenance.

There are plenty about with the exhaust conditioner still fitted but no one runs them with water in. I once tried it on a 20DL in the winter. Seemed like a good idea at the time and I thought it would look good with steam coming out of the exhaust but in winter you have to drain down the water. The water is full soot and dissolved exhaust gases and it stinks! I accidentally got some on my hands and despite washing my hands at the railway, and taking a shower later at home, the smell wouldn't go away. I could still smell it a couple of days and many more washes later.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if Ruston & Hornsby bought back any 44/48HPs for resale? Trying to shoehorn an older type so wondering if they refurbished any surplus from companies that no longer needed what they had or went into liquidation. 

Edited by steves17

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

image.png.bcdc684debfb8d02a7a31e848f69ad5b.pngTaken from the Wiki page on RAF Fauld

That's an example of their flameproof variant of the 44/48 design first introduced in 1939. Don't know a lot about the RAF Fauld site but don't think it came secondhand from R&H.