The Stationmaster Has Been to an Auction -

• RMweb Gold

That 1st 0-6-2ST is a bit of a beast!

The next one is another interesting loco being ex PTR No.15 which became GWR 816 and according to a note on the back was photographed when in service with the NCB at Talywain.

Sister loco to 813 on the Severn Valley I believe. (No 15 = 816 being from the 1st Robert Stevenson batch, 26 = 813 from 2nd Hudswell Clarke batch)

• RMweb Gold

I can see why but I don't think so Jim - the curve beyond the bridge goes the wrong way and the bridge is different.

yeah, the curve of the platform goes the wrong way too but i thought id throw it out there incase it was an optical illusion as such

the 2nd platform face looks to be disused too and the railhead not as shiny

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

15XX Class. Always liked those; sort of WR/Some other Co (Vulcan Foundry?) hybrid? Anyone do a 4mm kit of these?

If it were a kit I'd say someone had fitted the wrong chassis in error having not consulted toe 'prototype bibles'. :scared:

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Nice photos, could that first one be Neath Riverside, the second I think is Oxford as if we were at Leamington we would see Avenue station behind it and could that thirs be at the north end of Oxford?  

Look forward to seeing more and love the mix of locos

kind regards

Duncan

yeah, the curve of the platform goes the wrong way too but i thought id throw it out there incase it was an optical illusion as such

the 2nd platform face looks to be disused too and the railhead not as shiny

It looks as though it might be quite a 'busy' area, in that there appear to be two roadbridges (one immediately above the rear coach, one some distance behind). The arrangement of bridge parapets is also odd- that on the station side is quite low, with iron 'spear' fencing on top, whereas behind the Ford Thames van is what looks like a much higher parapet. It reminds me a little of the old N&B station, but this had the SWML crossing the end of the platforms, not a road bridge (at least when I remember it).

Beyond the second bridge in the background, there appear to be a couple of white posts; might these be signal posts, perhaps indicating a junction with another line?

The shed code looks like 89B which was Brecon.

Just been having a look at Google Maps- I wonder if it's the southern end of Neath Riverside? There's a street called 'Bridge Street' which once crossed both the river and the railway on a road bridge; the road has been severed, following the construction of the A465, and the road bridge replaced by a footbridge. This is the location I'm talking about:-

http://goo.gl/maps/BxPJ0

As a bonus, there's a 66 on a train of empty HTAs ..

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

15XX Class. Always liked those; sort of WR/Some other Co (Vulcan Foundry?) hybrid? Anyone do a 4mm kit of these?

If it were a kit I'd say someone had fitted the wrong chassis in error having not consulted toe 'prototype bibles'. :scared:

P

K's used to do a kit and the body isn't too bad albeit rather basic, the chassis is - of course - K's! And one day I might even dig out mine (the kit that is) and see what sort of a fist I can make of it but while whitemetal holds no terrors for me that chassis ........

The class was specifically designed as '24 hour shunting engines' with no need to go over a pit for oiling hence the outside valvegear but their short wheelbase and outside cylinders caused them to 'waggle' rather uncomfortably unless there was bit of weight hung on them.

Nice photos, could that first one be Neath Riverside, the second I think is Oxford as if we were at Leamington we would see Avenue station behind it and could that thirs be at the north end of Oxford?  

Look forward to seeing more and love the mix of locos

kind regards

Duncan

And yes I'm more inclined to Oxford than Leamington partly for the reason you say although certain features don't entirely convince me, including the engine, but if it is Oxford it is a view looking south, not north as there are signals missing that would be in a northward view. (see below re Neath)

It looks as though it might be quite a 'busy' area, in that there appear to be two roadbridges (one immediately above the rear coach, one some distance behind). The arrangement of bridge parapets is also odd- that on the station side is quite low, with iron 'spear' fencing on top, whereas behind the Ford Thames van is what looks like a much higher parapet. It reminds me a little of the old N&B station, but this had the SWML crossing the end of the platforms, not a road bridge (at least when I remember it).

Beyond the second bridge in the background, there appear to be a couple of white posts; might these be signal posts, perhaps indicating a junction with another line?

The shed code looks like 89B which was Brecon.

Just been having a look at Google Maps- I wonder if it's the southern end of Neath Riverside? There's a street called 'Bridge Street' which once crossed both the river and the railway on a road bridge; the road has been severed, following the construction of the A465, and the road bridge replaced by a footbridge. This is the location I'm talking about:-

http://goo.gl/maps/BxPJ0

As a bonus, there's a 66 on a train of empty HTAs ..

It is definitely Neath Riverside as following your comments I've just looked on the 'net and there is pic in Google images of another pannier standing almost in the same place and showing more of the background - so either that one is wrongly captioned or you are right Brian.  Definitely not looking north as you say which had caused me to not think about looking at it the other way round so to speak. 3770 was at Brecon from 1950 to late 1959 which would look to fit with the potential date of the picture's contents. So thanks to you and Duncan.  Caption duly amended

• Like 1

It is definitely Neath Riverside as following your comments I've just looked on the 'net and there is pic in Google images of another pannier standing almost in the same place and showing more of the background - so either that one is wrongly captioned or you are right Brian.  Definitely not looking north as you say which had caused me to not think about looking at it the other way round so to speak. 3770 was at Brecon from 1950 to late 1959 which would look to fit with the potential date of the picture's contents. So thanks to you and Duncan.  Caption duly amended

Photos of that end of Riverside are pretty scarce; presumably most photographers took shots of the other end in the hope that something more glamorous than a Pannier might appear in shot on the SWML.

• RMweb Gold

And now for batch 3, I wonderhow many pages we'll run to if/when I manage to get all of them scanned and posted.  

We start with 1462, a 'Metro' 2-4-0T which was withdrawn in 1929, now concluded as being Oxford shed ( the number was incorrectly noted as 1402 on the back of the original).  The 'saint' in the background is 2937.

post-6859-0-48820300-1382699872_thumb.jpg

Next is a rather poor view - as far as the engine is concerned - of a 1366 class pannier at, I presume, Weymouth (confirmed as Weymouth by Richard E)

post-6859-0-34119600-1382700061_thumb.jpg

A good broadisde of 3608 at an unidentified but hopefully very recognisable shed, is it Shrewsbury?    Recognised as being Oxford with St Barnabas church in the background, thanks Dave (Unravelled), and location confirmed by Gerry (Bulwell Hall), thanks.

post-6859-0-06915500-1382700189_thumb.jpg

And a nice rear three quarter view of 4598 at yet another unidentified location.  Gerry (Bulwell Hall) believes it to be the branch platform at Liskeard and a check of various views of the location seem to confirm that it is, thanks

post-6859-0-04591100-1382700328_thumb.jpg

However 5538, seen below, is at an instantly recognisable location - Swindon Works on 04 Feb 1957

post-6859-0-80594800-1382700478_thumb.jpg

And 8789 sits at an equally recognisable (for them as knows) Landore on 16 June 1957

post-6859-0-66766000-1382700554_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

If it helps, the Taff Vale 0-6-2T is at standing outside Abercynon shed.

Brian R

Indeed it is Brian - as already noted by ChrisF and regrettably left off the caption by me - I shall now try to correct my shortcoming.  

Incidentally all the pics will enlarge when you click on them - and in the background of this one the brakevan is branded 'Abercynon RU'.

• RMweb Premium

15xx Class were all built by BR although it was a GWR design. All 10 constructed at Swindon in 1949 (lot no 373). Same boiler as the 94xx.

Allocations were initially Old Oak Common for shunting ECS into and out of Paddington but later on some of the class found their way to Newport.

3 actually were sold to the NCB (and worked at Coventry colliery having been overhauled at Andrew Barclays) and then bought, in 1970, by the Severn Valley Railway, 1501, 1502 and 1509. After stripping of useful parts 1502 and 1509 were cut up at Cashmores in the same year.

• RMweb Premium

The unidentified 1366 Pannier is wearing a Weymouth Shed plate so it would seem reasonable to assume that is where she was pictured.

Edit to add that she is pictured alongside Weymouth Pleasure Pier from which Cosens used to run their paddle steamer excursions, alongside that, furthest away from the loco, is the Pavillion Theatre.

Weymouth-04.jpg

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 3