Kadee couplings on EFE tube stock - advice needed please

metmangraham

In my long-running saga of developing a decent tube layout I am now at the stage of wanting to couple/uncouple an EFE 3-car set to a 4-car set to make a full 7-car 1938 set. I know that I could modify the end of a DM to fit a long EFE coupling rod, or some equivalent, home-made, but this would pose big problems when I come to couple and uncouple.

I have searched for specific advice on whether Kadees could be used (even without the automatic coupler magnets and removing the down bar on the couplings), but nothing seems to have come up on RMWEB, at least recently. They seem an ideal solution if they can be fitted.

I have been perusing the Kadee coupling dimensions, as well as the Micro-Trains N scale equivalents, where the shanks will be far too short anyway I suspect, but my only conclusion so far is to buy a sampler set (such as at http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/kadee-no-13-sampler-pack-3070-0.html), which may still leave me without a solution, as the tube cars sit much lower on the track than full-size rolling stock.

Has anyone already been down this route? Even better, did you succeed?! If so, which couplings did you use, please?

I converted all of my EFE stock using Kadee no.5's. Fixed to the body with some slight subframe alteration to ensure a good fix. Looks far more realistic and easy to use. Best modification I have ever done. Care is needed so take your time and think through task and you won't regret the conversion.

Thank you all.

I'm always nervous about messing around with otherwise good models as I tend to be a bit heavy handed and generally opt for the easiest solution - least friction. I take the point made by D_stock_Dan that there may be cornering issues once the couplings are attached to the car bodies rather than bogies. 

However, I'll obtain some sample Kadee no. 5s and see what happens, probably retaining the original connecting rod couplings within the 4- and 3-car sets and only using the Kadees between the DM of the 4-car unit and the NDM of the 3-car unit. There are still sufficient and reasonably cheap supplies of 1938 stock cars in case I go really wrong!

Magnets seem tempting and I might also play around with some without permanently fitting them just to see how they work out.

Exciting times! Thanks again.

Graham

Having done the magnetic coupling conversions (small rare earth magnets in brass tube) on the Dapol MRA wagons it may just work on the tube stock too. I have been looking for a way to make reliable but not so fiddly connections on my EFE stock for a while. Kadees work fine on the surface stock but the clearances under the tube stock are more worrying! Magnetic uncoupling is not really required in my case but if you are running trains that need to be split then retaining that facility between units may be desirable.

Archived