North East Model Railway (Trenholme Junction)

dougattrenholmebar

Model Railway. Large scale junction in the 1960's, based on the railways around Middlesbrough in the North East England.

Trenholme Junction has two Marshalling Yards, the primary on the lower level and the secondary on the upper.

The first film in this series, from this, the lower Marshalling Yard was made around six years ago and has been watched over half a million times. The film was made using 1080p equipment and editing tools.

This part of the series has been made using the latest 4k production equipment.

There is a requirement for sand wagons at the upper marshalling yard and two rakes are available in the lower yard. The 08 Shunter removes the wagons from the sidings and shunts them to form a train onto the reception/dispatch road.

A class 31 locomotive is dispatched from the Diesel Shed to undertake the journey on the mainline. Filmed from the line side and on board the Guards Van.

Trenholme Junction is a model re-creation of the railways in the 1960's. Filmed in its own purpose built facility, the films are produced on a weekly basis and are in series which follow from the previous one in the number series. Many of the series continue one from another.

In this film the focus is on the arrival and dispatch road on the lower Marshalling Yard. This road is for arriving and departing trains. Arriving trains uncouple their locomotives and leave the wagons for the the yard shunters to sort them out.

The first train is a Class 20 arriving from the north end of Trenholme Junction. The locomotive leaves the train and leaves at the south end with a guards van.

A local Diesel Multiple Unit stops a the the station and then heads off to the Main Station.

The second part of the film is split screen giving two views of a Super D hauled mixed goods train viewed on board from the guards van and from the track side.

A Class 24 passes through with a bulk grain train.

Trenholme Junction is a model railway set in the 1960's in the North East of England. The model was built as a film set in order to re-create the the working of the railways during the transition from steam to diesel power.

In this film, two goods trains make their way from opposite ends of the junction past the station and the marshalling yard. In the final part of the film, we jump on board the guards van to see a unique view as the train passes over the southern end of the junction.

In the last film, Watching Trains Part 5, we saw two trains arriving in the Arrival Road and this film shows a new train ready for dispatch. If you want to see all the shunting moves to do this, there is a new hour long film, 'Marshalling Yard 8', this years Christmas Special, which be will released on Christmas Day.

• Like 1

Continuing the series of films around the main Marshalling Yard at Trenholme Junction.

In this episode, a parcels train arrives into the reception road and delivers to vans before heading off and away to the north end of the junction. One of the DMU's waiting in the bay platform of the station departs. The 08 shunter from the yard picks up the two vans and positions them ready to cross the main line. The second DMU departs from the bay. Finally the 08 places the two vans into the bay, ready for loading.

For all of you followers of North East Model Railway, there is a new film for the Christmas Special this year.

The film will be shown as a premiere at 08:30 GMT on Christmas Day. 

I will be on line whilst the film runs and you can ask me any questions you may have.

For more information and to set the reminder follow the link:

Edited by dougattrenholmebar

The aim of this project is to re-create the railways of the 1960's in the North East of England.

All of the locomotives, rolling stock and buildings would have existed at this this time. There is some variation in the trains and some would have not visited the North East.

I was asked to produce some films of trains on the long incline, particularly using bankers. In this film a pair of ex-GWR 0-6-2 Tank Engines, one pulling the other pushing tackles the incline with a train of empty mineral wagons.

• Like 2

There is no film from Trenholme Junction today, however, there is a new one hour Christmas Special for you.

The film will be shown as a premiere at 08:30 GMT on Christmas Day.

I will be on line whilst the film runs and you can ask me any questions you may have.

For more information and to set the reminder, click the picture below:

The film will be available to view as normal after the premier finishes.

In this film, two mixed goods trains have arrived in the reception/departure road at the lower marshalling yard at Trenholme Junction.

Included in each of the trains are some tank wagons which need to be added to the tanker train already in another siding in the yard. The remainder of the two trains are stored in the sidings.

Once the 08 Shunter has made up, the newly completed train then is placed into the reception/dispatch road to be picked up by a Black Five.

Filmed beside the tracks, from the stations, between the wagons and from the guards vans on the moving trains.

Wishing all my subscribers, viewers and supporters the very Merriest of Christmas and the Happiest of New Years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After the Christmas Special, we return to Watching the trains next to the station and the Marshalling Yard. Its a good opportunity to introduce two of the wonderful new models which have arrived at the junction. The first to arrive is the Class 16 with a load of containers into the reception road.

The 16 pulls away to allow the 08 to take two of the container wagons in the yard to be attached to the train.

Once this job has been completed, we sit back and watch 'Falcon' ease through the junction with a train of mainly Mk1 stock.

New locomotives, upgrade of both the computer and the software, happy its all working correctly.

• Like 1

In this, the second film today, the remainder of the two goods trains already partly dismantled in the Christmas Special is further broken up by the 08 Shunter. This film is shot entirely from the adjacent station platform. This is the viewpoint I used to see the activity when watch the trains on South Bank station, near Middlesbrough, when I was nine years old.

Making films like this brings the memories flooding back.

The final scene is viewed from the verandah of the brake van as the Class 16 takes us for a ride on the beginning its journey to some far off place.

• Like 1

Trenholme Junction is a model railway based around the railways in the North East of England in the early part of the 1960's. Lots of traffic visits the junction, some which would probably never come here in real life. The films are a representation of what a busy railway would have looked at the time.

This film starts off with a Class G2A 0-8-0 exLNWR locomotive hauling a train of china wagons through the junction and up the long incline. A DMU comes into the lower East Stations bay platform with a van in tow. The van is removed to the marshalling yard reception road by the yard's 08 shunter.

Finally Class 25 D5270 moves slowly through the point work and accelerates away from the station with a train of empty parcels vans.

• Like 1

Trenholme Junction is a model railway based around the railways in the North East of England in the early part of the 1960's. Lots of traffic visits the junction, some which would probably never come here in real life. The films are a representation of what a busy railway would have looked at the time.

In today's film we see the Class 20 and the 08 Shunter working in perfect harmony in the Lower Marshalling Yard. The 20 arrives with three fruit vans and the 08 picks three further vans from the sidings and attaches the lengthened train back onto the 20 which carries on its way.

The 'Watching Trains' series of films follow each other in numerical order in soap style so you can watch a continuous series of traffic movements, typical of the scenes which could be witnessed in the early 1960's. Click through to the Channel Page to find the previous ones.

In this film we see a class 47 coming to the Marshalling Yard to head the container train. The 08 Yard Shunter then moves a van from the yard throat, clearing the way way for the 47 to leave and head off across the south end of Trenholme Junction.

A class 24 rumbles through the station with an empty mineral train and Falcon eases onto the platform to await a clear road.

A class 25 brings a local passenger service into the opposite platform and releases Falcon to continue its journey.

• Like 1

Although this is part of the 'Watching Trains' series, this weeks film is entirely focusing in the Lower Marshalling Yard.

The 08 shunter has to remove the wagons in front of the vans at the far end of the sidings and then add the van and the brake van to the vans and make ready the train to be picked up by the Standard steam locomotive.

In the quest for better and better quality, this weeks film has been produced after the latest upgrade to the computer hardware and software. On whatever device you're viewing this from, you should be able to see some improvement in the quality of the detail.

In this film we open with a Black 5 passing from north to south through Trenholme Junction followed by a ride in the Guards Van of a short container train hauled by 5601 Class 56xx ex GWR Tank locomotive.

After waiting for an arriving Diesel Multiple Unit 5601 then sets off for the reception road at the Lower Marshalling Yard. Once uncoupled from it train, the tank engine then crosses over to Station Pilot's Engine Shed.

Add link to video

After reading the comments from people over the time I've been making these films in 4k, there are some who clearly do not like the wide view which has the black bands at the top and bottom of the screen. Some say the action is too small to watch. There is a balance here to be struck. I personally like the wide screen, you can see lots, but I can see the merits of the 'close to' format as well.

This film is an experiment, filmed in 2.7k at 50 frames per second and rendered in 4k in 'close up' to compare the quality. Reactions are welcome. Please tell me which device you're using and what the quality is like.

• Like 1

Doug, you do a lot of pretty good videos and I have a question that your experience may be able to answer.  Specifically, when watching a video on U-tube some videos make the train motion appear 'jerky'.  For the most part it tends to be specific posters and it is the entire video, but on occasion I can see it with an 'experienced' videographer whose stuff is normally pretty good and also occasionally it will come and then go.  Thoughts would be appreciated as this is 'irritation' a friend and I who sit down once a week to watch shows.

Thanks Theakerr for your comments. I assume that you have found this jerkiness int this video. I have noticed this phenomena before. Try this: when you are watching the video in YouTube click the settings (a cog wheel symbol on the bottom right) and select 'quality', it is usually set to 'auto', try setting it to 1080p and see if that stops it.  Try different settings, the higher up the scale you go the more powerful device you need. This video is high resolution and sometimes the auto selects too high a setting and you get this jerkiness. Let me know how you get on.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you read the 'Origins' section of the blog attached to this YouTube channel you will see the purpose of this endeavour was to use cameras to drive the trains on the internet. 
At the time of building, the quality of the cameras was to say at the least, pretty poor. 
Early tests proved that the walls were blurry in the background and I decided not to plaster them, it didn't seem to be worth the expense.
Each time another generation camera's came onto the scene with better and better quality, the folly of not plastering of the walls became more and more of an irritation.
Although the walls are painted blue, the mortar lines are visible. I wanted the entire scene to reflect the view I saw as a child and there was definitely no mortar lines in the sky that I remember. The easiest way to overcome this anomaly is to colour the background plain blue, which is not that difficult to do, but I wanted better than that.
In this film all the background is film of the sky, moving sky. The difference is worth the extra effort, hence the late issue of this film.  
Ironic, isn't it, the technology which caused the problem is being used now to solve it.

In last weeks film the main object was to take away the walls from the film and to replace them with an image of the sky. The sky had to be actual footage and therefore plays out in real time. Lots of people seem to like this idea.
In the past, I have produced film in 4k and in order to preserve the superb quality this gives I had to cut off the tops of the films. 
This camera has a wide angle lens, which means it films a lot of ceiling as well as the bit you want to see.

Cutting off the ceiling takes away the view of the lights and gives more reality but the walls, whilst tolerable, take it away again. Last weeks film addressed this issue and was I think quite successful.
For those of you who follow the blog will know I intend to dismantle Trenholme Junction and move house. A new layout is planned and I was thinking of using the 'shelf' idea (building the layout on many levels around the outside walls of the room).
As I want to film the new layout, it has always been a worry that the level above the one I was filming on would be obviously visible and how I would get round this disadvantage of this type of layout. The closeness of the levels would play a key part in the design of the new layout.
In this film I have solved this anomaly with software and in this film I have used the full size video and replaced both the walls and the ceiling with sky.
Not exactly perfect in some places, but proof of concept achieved.....

• Like 1