North East Model Railway (Trenholme Junction)

dougattrenholmebar

This is a new film showing distance on Trenholme Junction, trains appearing far off and then coming into view and disappearing again. No high speed blurred trains passing, this film looks at the gentle side of railways in the sixties, the Hymek eases an unfitted train out of the marshalling yard followed by an 08 shunter moving tanks from the reception road into the sidings.

A class 31 couples up to the parcels coaches in the station bay and finally a Standard steam locomotive passes through with a cattle truck train.

The inspiration for producing these films was sitting beside the railway where I grew up in South Bank near Middlesbrough in the North East of England in the late fifties, early sixties. I was fascinated by the endless variety of trains passing through the station at the bottom of our street.

This is a simple film where four trains pass the Marshalling Yard and through the Lower East Station on a beautiful summers day. Simple pleasures.

If you are self isolating, there are several hundred of these films on the channel on YouTube - see the links at the end of the film. Keep Safe.

• Like 1

There is a stiff breeze blowing at Trenholme Junction and as grey threatening rain clouds are moving swiftly across the sky a Pullman Train hauled by crosses the southern junction and makes its way up the long incline and off into the distance.

The Pullman is followed by a Black 5 on an express passenger train and and a BR Standard locomotive with a train of Bogie Well wagons, some with steam locomotive boilers.

Another Black 5 heads south with a train of BRT bulk grain wagons in Scotch Whisky liveries.

Finally, the only Diesel hauled train, a local passenger stopping service leaves the Upper North Station and descends the long incline towards the Main Station.

Filmed from the embankment and the Lower East Station.

This film is a re-make of one I made about three years ago. The main difference between them is this version has moving sky. Its one thing to add sky to a static image, that's difficult enough, but to add it to a moving image is something else. Many many hours of work in this one. It usually takes me around one hour to make one minute of video but this one, lost count. I think for the most part it works well, there are some defects, all part of learning. The photograph of the inside of the 44 is used with the kind permission of Nigel Kidd. The locomotive travels from the Diesel Shed to the locomotive road at the Lower Marshalling Yard. An 08, the yard shunter, removes a rake of Sand wagons from the yard and places them in the departure road. We reverse onto the train and then travel through the south junction, past the south carriage sidings and then through the south bay platform at the Main Station and into the tunnel. If anybody has some sound files of a 44 from the cab, I would like to add them to this film if they would allow me.

In this film, more experimenting with moving sky from a moving train, we jump on board the first class section of the fifth coach from the back of the train.

The Class 24 D5100 leave the Main Station and we pass the Lower Marshalling Yard. Filmed from inside the coach we see the 08 Shunter in the yard and then a Class 20 with a train of empty mineral wagons drifts by. We leave by the southern junction.

The original coach view is from a photograph by James Culver who has kindly given permission for its use.

• Like 2

Its a bright sunny day at Trenholme Junction with almost clear blue skies as a Class 24 appears at the north junction and comes to a stand in the reception/dispatch road at the Lower Marshalling Yard.

From the southern end a Class 20 crosses the south junction with a train of new road vehicles travels north.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2020 at 08:11, dougattrenholmebar said:

In this film, more experimenting with moving sky from a moving train, we jump on board the first class section of the fifth coach from the back of the train.

The Class 24 D5100 leave the Main Station and we pass the Lower Marshalling Yard. Filmed from inside the coach we see the 08 Shunter in the yard and then a Class 20 with a train of empty mineral wagons drifts by. We leave by the southern junction.

The original coach view is from a photograph by James Culver who has kindly given permission for its use.

Very nice video, what software or technique do you use to get the effect of looking out of the coach window

I took advantage of some good weather to film the backgrounds for this episode. The lack of any vapour trails which are a familiar sight for us nowadays, virtually did not exist at the time period Trenholme Junction is depicting.

In my ongoing quest to blend the model and real world, this film is another exercise in creating the huge distances in which the railways exist in the real world. There's a new version of the software here which helps with the blending process.

All diesel powered in this film, re-creating the sights and sounds witnessed by a young boy and inspiring a lifetime interest in the subject.

Note the birds and the insects buzzing about in the final scene.

• Like 2

There's a change in the weather at Trenholme Junction this week and storm clouds are gathering as we settle down to watch the trains passing by.

Ex-works pacific is on running in trials with the milk train whilst the Black Five hurries through on a semi fast passenger train.

A Warship passes with a bulk grain train and a Rat passes north to south with a train of new cars, a Land Rover and Anglia van for the Post Office and others of unknown make and model in the Mogo vans at the rear.

Finally, another Black Five traverses the south junction and into the Lower Marshalling Yard to collect the breakdown train.

This short video is experimental. Prompted by a suggestion from one of my subscribers', (thank you Mark), I decided to have another go at replacing both the back scene and the foreground in this production. Tried before to do this but software and hardware not up the the job.

New software, Vegas Post, is definitely up to the job. Please do not be too critical, still learning how to use it.

Anyone who follows the channel will know I have a thing about distance, this model was built to show a railway in a natural setting with long straights. Extending the horizon with a background video certainly adds depth but adding a foreground video adds a certain breadth as well. Good to see the grass and the weeds blowing about as well as the clouds and the trees.

Moorhen mum and the two chicks are making their debut the beginning.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

This is the second experimental video in this series and this one explores the possibility of straightening out the corners of the the train shed. There are no corners in the real world.

For those who keep asking how its done, I use Magix Vegas Pro 17 Post which is a video editing software package.

The model is shot in the train shed complete with floor, walls and ceiling in the shot. The background (walls and ceiling) are removed by a combination of Chroma Keying (blue screen) and Masking and replaced with the video of the view which was shot around the area where I live. The foreground (floor and baseboard edges and layout lower level) is then masked out using Bezier Masking and replaced with the video of the lower part of the outdoor video.

If there is enough interest in the post production, I may be persuaded to make a video on exactly how its done.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

The weather has turned and we have a sunny day down at Trenholme Junction.

A Black 5 and its train of mineral wagons sweeps around the southern curve and ambles up the long drag past the Upper Marshalling Yard, through the Upper North Station and on off into the distance.

The scene opens with the train on the lower level, mainly model with the sky as the only enhancement, gradually, as the it moves towards the last scene more and more of the model is replaced by real world video until all the scenery is real.

Continuing the theme of blending model and real world. Heavy.

Another short practice piece, testing new computer and software, this time on the lower level at Trenholme Junction. This video opens up more possibilities of camera angles when the camera is facing the other side of the layout and removes the back of the 'other side from the shot and the upper level as well.

In this film the cameraman has moved to the Upper West Station at Trenholme Junction for a day out watching the the trains go by. I have not filmed this station very much in the past because it was difficult to get a good long shot without showing the lower level, and the floor.

My recent, work producing the hybrid, model and real world, has opened up new possibilities and now this area of the layout can be filmed as well as anywhere else.

Model railway and Yorkshire scenery. Extremely heavy.

• Like 1

In this film we see a locomotive which probably never made it to the North East but it is one of my favourite early Diesels. This is such a superb running and highly detailed model its a shame not to run it. We follow it and its train emerging from the tunnel at the Upper North station and crossing the North Junction and down the long gradient to the lower level.

Once the junction is clear, then a BR Standard class on parcels duties arrives at the north end of the lower level on the goods lines and crosses over to the passenger lines just north of the Lower East Station and passes through the station and off into the distance.

These scenes are taken from previously issued videos and are practice pieces to experiment with different techniques for interchanging model and real world scenarios.

In this film the activity is centred on the long incline which links together the upper and lower levels at Trenholme Junction.

At the bottom of the incline is a four into two junction reminiscent of Bowesfield Junction in at Stockton (next to the original Booking Office of the Stockton to Darlington Railway) where the lines diverged north to the coal fields and south to Eaglescliffe.

At the top of the incline, a sophisticated junction splitting the tracks into two tunnels, Upper North Station and the Upper Marshalling Yard.

The first Black Five with a tanker train enters through the Upper North West Tunnel, glides through the station across the junction and down the incline to the Lower South Junction. A Rat, on a shorter tanker train then ascends the Long Incline and joins the goods line avoiding the station roads.

The second Black Five then ascends the incline and crosses the upper junction and leaves by the North West Tunnel.

Finally, A DMU leaves the Upper East Station and pauses at the Upper North Station before leaving by North West tunnel, whilst an 08 puts in an appearance and wanders off to the Upper Marshalling Yard with some coal trucks.

Its been quite while since the last Marshalling Yard film has been produced.

There is probably no greater pleasure, (for a rail enthusiast), than to sit on an embankment and watch shunting operations breaking up and re-forming trains.

Here, a Class 16 type 1 diesel is deputising for the usual 08 shunter and is making up a train of empty tankers before hauling them off to the Upper Marshalling Yard to meet its locomotive for the onward journey.

More special effects experimentation with these scenes, using the lower level in this case and removing the upper.

There's a new update on the blog (see comments) Latest Computer and Software Specs.

In this film we are once again at the Lower Marshalling Yard and D7672 with a mixed goods arriving via the reception/despatch road and into the headshunt.

After disposing of the brake van, the two vans at the rear of the train are then split to a separate siding and the remainder is shunted into another siding.

The locomotive then takes an unfitted brake van from the brake van road and separates it before picking up a train of bogie well wagons from another siding and attaching the brake van to the train. Pauses.

To the north of Trenholme Junction, in the far distance, another Class 24, D7645, appears on the horizon and drifts down the Long Incline before disappearing into the distance at the south end, followed by our train.