North East Model Railway (Trenholme Junction)

dougattrenholmebar

Having just finished watching all of page 1 I'm going to have to stop as I am meant to have taken the day off for some gardening! But I'll be back for more later.

I'll also need to take a look at your blog to read more about the layout, and also how you've done all the videos. I think they're fantastic. I particularly like the banking video, with the wheel slip as the banked loco moves off, and the ride in the DMU cab is fantastic fun!

Definitely makes me want to see what I can do with video cameras... so I'd better get on and build the layout!

Thanks for some great inspiration.

Neil

Thanks for your comments Neil, if I've inspired you then I'm happy about that. I noticed from your thread you're at the planning stage of your layout. If you are thinking  of filming it, its worth reading my blog, there's some information on there you may find useful.

Doug.

• RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas and the latest video, for one week only

Doug,

Many, many thanks for posting this, and more for not removing it after the week you originally stated. I'd never have watched an hour long video if it wasn't for the shorter videos that I've watched over the last couple of days.

It is a fantastic description of a pick-up goods run that I have learned a lot from. But more than that, it's a really good social commentary on a time that is gone.

The whole thing is so well edited, and your commentary fits so well and keeps the interest that I hope you don't take it down at all. I intend to play it for my nephew who although only seven I am sure will be fascinated as he's always asking about shunting and goods delivery before all those nasty motorways took it all from the rails.

Thanks again for your work. I shall be trying to emulate it, though on a much smaller scale. I've also read through your blog and picked up some good pointers there. Though I've not yet come across any description of the tech that you use, both camera hardware and editing software. I'd be very interesting to know this as it clearly works for the subject.

Kind regards, Neil

Doug,

Many, many thanks for posting this, and more for not removing it after the week you originally stated. I'd never have watched an hour long video if it wasn't for the shorter videos that I've watched over the last couple of days.

It is a fantastic description of a pick-up goods run that I have learned a lot from. But more than that, it's a really good social commentary on a time that is gone.

The whole thing is so well edited, and your commentary fits so well and keeps the interest that I hope you don't take it down at all. I intend to play it for my nephew who although only seven I am sure will be fascinated as he's always asking about shunting and goods delivery before all those nasty motorways took it all from the rails.

Thanks again for your work. I shall be trying to emulate it, though on a much smaller scale. I've also read through your blog and picked up some good pointers there. Though I've not yet come across any description of the tech that you use, both camera hardware and editing software. I'd be very interesting to know this as it clearly works for the subject.

Kind regards, Neil

Neil,

Thanks for your comments. The Man at the Back was suggested to me by a teacher friend to show 8 - 9 year old's what life was like for parents and grandparents which is part of the National Curriculum. As I was nine years old at the time frame the layout was set, the story was intended to engage those around the same age. I left it up because people seemed to like it and it will stay.

Quite a lot of people do ask about the filming and I do intend to write an article for the blog. (shortage of time at present stopping this) 

Generally, after December 2012 the following cameras were used on most films :-

Samsung HMX-M20P 1080p Camcorder for the track side shots.

Sony HDR-AS10 1080p Camcorder for the on-board rides

The editing is done using Sony Movie Studio HD Platinum software.

Generally, its takes around an hour to make each minute of film and the channel gets around 25,000 to 30,000 hits per month.

Have toyed with the idea of a film showing the making of a film, but I don't want to destroy the illusion that people enjoy. 

Doug

Edited by dougattrenholmebar
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm very glad that the video will stay :)

Thanks for the information on the cameras Doug. It certainly looks like some nice kit. I'll look it up again once I have the track to put it on! It's also lower cost than I was expecting for such a small camera. I've tried the very cheap miniature cameras in the past, but while they can be fun, the quality is just not there. So I will be looking more upmarket once I again have something worth shooting.

I, for one, would be very keen to see a how it's done video. But I see your point re destroying the illusion. So I'll just wait for the blog when you get the chance.

Neil

I'm very glad that the video will stay :)

Thanks for the information on the cameras Doug. It certainly looks like some nice kit. I'll look it up again once I have the track to put it on! It's also lower cost than I was expecting for such a small camera. I've tried the very cheap miniature cameras in the past, but while they can be fun, the quality is just not there. So I will be looking more upmarket once I again have something worth shooting.

I, for one, would be very keen to see a how it's done video. But I see your point re destroying the illusion. So I'll just wait for the blog when you get the chance.

Neil

Neil,

Two things to look for in a camera.

1080p - this is the quality of the picture and that of most current HD quality televisions.

Glass Lens - NOT plastic.

Doug.

Thanks for another cracking Video Doug, just reading above how long it takes to make each one makes me realise  just how dedicated you are to getting it right every time.

Thanks again.

Bodge.

A new convert here!

Just stumbled across this thread after catching up on a couple of other layout threads I follow. The DMU ride video grabbed my attention. I'm slightly younger than the creator and my memories of travelling the lines around Teesside are more from the seventies than the sixties, the DMU ride sucked me right back like a mental Tardis and dumped me back on one of those rattly, smelly, smokey trips of my youth.

I was back there riding from Darlington to Stockton, I'm wiping condensation off the windows to peer at the passing world, I can almost smell the stale tobacco and feel the horrid grubby seats! My Dad was a railwayman so I had a card for cheap travel and used the trains more than my mates. For that reason I'm on my own. Tonight, it's winter, I'm wearing a duffel coat, jeans and trainers and my hair long, there is a group of rather drunk "Teddy Boys" who are "taking the mick" out of my hair and I am worried they are going to give me kicking when we get off. I have never been able to fathom what "Teds" were doing in the 70s - perhaps some temporal displacement of their own? Any how they are obviously looking for someone to pick on and I'm it. So, at Eaglescliffe I make dive for the door at the last minute and as the DMU pulls away into the night I can see their sneering faces at the windows. Eaglescliffe station in the 70s was a desolate place, all that remained of the NER station was a bridge to the island platform and the platform (I think there is now a bus shelter?) still it's not too far to walk to home in Stockton and I'm not getting a kicking! Then as I start my walk home it starts to snow, right in my face, it's coming straight out of the north, I hunker down into my duffel and walk. When I get in, the front of the coat is completely white and I'm frozen to my core.

All that from watching a video of a model train.

Thank you. That's not just a model it's a time machine.

A new convert here!

Just stumbled across this thread after catching up on a couple of other layout threads I follow. The DMU ride video grabbed my attention. I'm slightly younger than the creator and my memories of travelling the lines around Teesside are more from the seventies than the sixties, the DMU ride sucked me right back like a mental Tardis and dumped me back on one of those rattly, smelly, smokey trips of my youth.

I was back there riding from Darlington to Stockton, I'm wiping condensation off the windows to peer at the passing world, I can almost smell the stale tobacco and feel the horrid grubby seats! My Dad was a railwayman so I had a card for cheap travel and used the trains more than my mates. For that reason I'm on my own. Tonight, it's winter, I'm wearing a duffel coat, jeans and trainers and my hair long, there is a group of rather drunk "Teddy Boys" who are "taking the mick" out of my hair and I am worried they are going to give me kicking when we get off. I have never been able to fathom what "Teds" were doing in the 70s - perhaps some temporal displacement of their own? Any how they are obviously looking for someone to pick on and I'm it. So, at Eaglescliffe I make dive for the door at the last minute and as the DMU pulls away into the night I can see their sneering faces at the windows. Eaglescliffe station in the 70s was a desolate place, all that remained of the NER station was a bridge to the island platform and the platform (I think there is now a bus shelter?) still it's not too far to walk to home in Stockton and I'm not getting a kicking! Then as I start my walk home it starts to snow, right in my face, it's coming straight out of the north, I hunker down into my duffel and walk. When I get in, the front of the coat is completely white and I'm frozen to my core.

All that from watching a video of a model train.

Thank you. That's not just a model it's a time machine.

Wow - There's nothing I can add to that........

Thanks, Doug

• Like 2

That brought back memories of 1970! I used to get the train up to college from Finsbury Park to Newcastle, and then change at Eaglescliffe  for Durham. The train was the Highwayman. In the snow, below freezing, with no shelter and I don't think there was even anywhere to sit. I just remember that long, bleak platform...

Good morning Doug,

Thanks to Neil's earlier post, I have just made time to watch the 'man at the back' video. Took me straight back to when I lived in railway accommodation adjoining the shed at Hurlford (67B) in the early fifties. My bedroom window looked over a marshalling yard which was predominantly mineral due to the proximity of a large number of pits in the Ayrshire coalfields. I spent quite a lot of time with 'the man in the back' when dad did a run to the mines with lots of empties - the NCB shunters took over to organise the filling of the wagons while we sat in the guards van where 'the man' would rustle up tea and often something to eat on his pot bellied stove. Surprising how hot that got when using best steam coal! Once again RMweb, through your efforts, has triggered memories from a long time ago - thank you.

I have to congratulate you on your film making skills and really admire the trouble you must have gone to when preparing and laying the track - a superb smooth ride!

Your thread is truly inspirational although, like Neil, I'm still at the planning stage. Due to illness and finances, as well as not having cleared the area where the layout will go, I probably won't start now till early spring but I will certainly be combing your thread for detail ideas!

Thank you once again, I've now put your layout down for regular daily visits!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Morning Doug, another excellent ride,  Its nice because there all just a bit different, i.e. stock Motive Power and the ones coming the other way are always a nice surprise as well.

Really good mate, well done yet again.

Bodge.

Doug,

Lost touch with your thread (probably reality as well!) for a while but managed to find it again through AndyP's post which took ages to find in the crowded pages of 'Lunester Lounge'. Glad I did though, the latest couple of videos are especially good! Might just get away with a DMU on my planned layout if I stretch it to the early 60s. I'm still marvelling at how well laid your track is - the smoothness is very evident from the film!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Doug, I watched the latest on Saturday but had to dash out and didn't have time to post.

As Jock says, the track laying with Peco Code 100 on foam underlay not only shows the quality of your workmanship, but also just how good the Peco product is.

I'm also impressed with just how smooth that 08 runs, all in all some really good stuff.

More freight passing freight with Standards and Black 5's please, hhahah

Bodge.

Doug,

Lost touch with your thread (probably reality as well!) for a while but managed to find it again through AndyP's post which took ages to find in the crowded pages of 'Lunester Lounge'. Glad I did though, the latest couple of videos are especially good! Might just get away with a DMU on my planned layout if I stretch it to the early 60s. I'm still marvelling at how well laid your track is - the smoothness is very evident from the film!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks for your comments Jock, the DMU's were of my time, they were the reason for my life long interest in railways. As a kid the were like a panoramic view of the whole thing.

You can view the channel directly by clicking the link below. Doug.

https://www.youtube....gattrenholmebar