• RMweb Gold

With a scrunch of tyres on gravel, roving railway photographer Jonty Chambers arrived at Upwell Drove in his Bentley. In a meeting with the fat clergyman and the thin clergyman at Middle Fen a few weeks ago, Jonty had learned of the fenland terminus of the Diddington agriculturasl tramway at Upwell Drove, and had decided to take a look for himself.

First here's a picture of Jonty at work.

attachicon.gifJC at work Upwell 28.5.18.jpg

This is what he saw:

attachicon.gifD2201 Upwell Drove 28.5.18.jpg

Good to see JC armed with his trusty Thornton Pickard in action... 

• 2 weeks later...

I‘ve decided that model railway layouts are rather like swans. Serene and organized above the base board, with desperate activity going on below. Take Upwell Drove. A group of old sidings in the middle of a Fenland field, eking out it’s days before closure. A peaceful scene, occasionally disturbed by a train. But to make it all happen, it has to have… this

post-6772-0-77621300-1528658476.jpg

The pictures are of the underside of the terminus end of the layout. From left to right, we have the motors for the siding point and the slip (I’m trying Cobalts for this), the motor for the run round point, and at the right hand end are the transformer and the driver for the layout lights. All this works from two mains leads – one into the transformer box, and the other in to the led driver.

post-6772-0-57108700-1528658462.jpg

post-6772-0-59197300-1528658509.jpg

The wiring is nearly done: I’m just awaiting a couple of diodes to complete the power supply to the turnout motors, which should arrive next week, and then it’s final assembly and testing.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

The wiring at Upwell Drove is now virtually finished, and I've been doing lots of test running. I've had to make a sligh change with the power supply to the turnout motors. I was hoping to power all the motors using a system of 16v AC uncontrolled "smoothed" to 12v DC using steering diodes. The system works fine with Tortoises, but unfortunately Cobalts don't seem to like it, so I'm installing a separate 12v DC power supply for them.

There's now a joining section between Upwell Drove and the fiddle yard. It's the old "Middle Fen" section, refurbished, and renamed "Elm Lane".

Next up, completion of the backdrop for Upwell Drove. I'm currently using a roll up cloth backscene: the jury is out as to wether it is permanent.

In the meantime, heres some pics of recent operations.

post-6772-0-16885100-1531169510.jpg

post-6772-0-79916300-1531169530.jpg

post-6772-0-91009500-1531169563_thumb.jpg

post-6772-0-62793500-1531169587.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

That looks very nice indeed Alex. Bring on the J70.......

Rob

• Like 1

Upwell Drove will be making its public debut at the Paignton show on 11-12 August, so work is currently being undertaken to make it presentable. I’m looking forward to the show as a bit of a “shake down” for the layout, to identify any gremlins before it travels further afield next year. There won’t be any buildings this time round (there’s not that many planned for the completed layout), but the track is all laid, running and scenic work has started. Displaying it this way will give an opportunity to show some of the construction methods.

The joining section, which joins the terminus to the main “Diddington” section is scenically complete, or though there are still a few jobs to do before August. Today I’ve been working on a view blocker for the point where the track leaves Elm Lane, and passes over to Upwell Drove. This month’s issue of “Model Rail” contains a number of interesting articles on view blockers and layout lighting, and I read this (I got my copy on Tuesday), before starting work.

I’ve tried to disguise the point where the track passes through the backscene in the following ways:

• The “wing” at the front of the layout blocks a direct view of the exit.
  • I’ve made the hole where the line exits the board as small as possible, bearing in mind the size of stock which has to pass through it.
  • The hole is further disguised by hedges and a small tree.
  • The view through the hole will be further disguised by the back drop at Upwell Drove.

I’ve taken some pictures of work to date.

post-6772-0-28516500-1531426911.jpg

post-6772-0-86693000-1531426931.jpg

post-6772-0-40333800-1531426951.jpg

This is the effect with a train entering the scene (I know about the wonky telegraph poles, replacements are built and should be fitted tomorrow)

post-6772-0-02332600-1531427092.jpg

Finally, a view through the trees.

post-6772-0-71228000-1531427193.jpg

Oh, and we need a brake van at the end...

post-6772-0-52395800-1531427259.jpg

Alex

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff Alex. Looking very nice.

View blockers are a bit tricky. I have chickened out on Bleat Wharf and used a dirty great pub to mask the exit from the scenic section. On the other layouts I have not bothered and I can't say I am too troubled by it, neither are those who have seen them at exhibtion,judging by the lack of comment.

I think it is just a question of having something there to divert the eye, if only momentarily.

Rob.

• Like 1

I agree Rob. I think what the view blocker does is to make the appearance of the train on the layout somewhat less sudden. The points where the line enters Mutton are not obtrusive, without a need for any large view blocker as i recall. . I'm going to use buildings to disguise the entrance of the line to Upwell Drove, much as on Bleat. The thing I was reminded by this month's Model Rail was to make the roofline of the rearmost building lower than that of the building in front of the tracks. This means I have scrapped the idea of a chapel at the back of the layout. (There is a nice one in Upwell I thought of making)

Alex

• Like 1

With a scrunch of tyres on gravel, roving railway photographer Jonty Chambers arrived at Upwell Drove in his Bentley. In a meeting with the fat clergyman and the thin clergyman at Middle Fen a few weeks ago, Jonty had learned of the fenland terminus of the Diddington agriculturasl tramway at Upwell Drove, and had decided to take a look for himself.

First here's a picture of Jonty at work.

attachicon.gifJC at work Upwell 28.5.18.jpg

This is what he saw:

attachicon.gifD2201 Upwell Drove 28.5.18.jpg

More soon

Alex

What I want to know is who is following Jonty around and taking pictures of him at work

#stalker

:)

• RMweb Gold

I agree Rob. I think what the view blocker does is to make the appearance of the train on the layout somewhat less sudden. The points where the line enters Mutton are not obtrusive, without a need for any large view blocker as i recall. . I'm going to use buildings to disguise the entrance of the line to Upwell Drove, much as on Bleat. The thing I was reminded by this month's Model Rail was to make the roofline of the rearmost building lower than that of the building in front of the tracks. This means I have scrapped the idea of a chapel at the back of the layout. (There is a nice one in Upwell I thought of making)

Alex

I have done the same on Bleat, Alex. The pub is higher that the barn behind. In addition a brick office then further masks the exit when looking from the front, towards the exit.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice layout that captures the atmosphere of the area but don't get too much into having everything square and vertical. They are not around here!

Telegraph poles lean in all directions and even the railway's equipment, such as the catenary masts of the Ely-King's Lynn line follow suit.

When I worked down the line I was told that they had moved so far that the contact wire had shifted so that it was on the curved edge of the pan in places!

Cracked and subsiding buildings are quite common as well. I always thought it would be good fun to model one or two of the structures in Nordelph, just down the road from Outwell.

Ian T

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The camera is a useful modelling tool. Not just for research and reference, but also to monitor work in progress.  I find that the eye sees what it is expecting to see, so sometimes things are missed which become obvious when referring to as photograph of the scene. In the context of modelling, a photograph will often reveal areas for improvement which the eye has missed. As an example, I offer the following photograph, taken this morning. It’s a similar scene to one I posted on Thursday. The photo revealed a number of points for attention, so since Thursday’s photograph was taken I have addressed the following:

• Straitened and repaired the telegraph poles.
  • Repaired and painted the fence. Adjusted some of the fence posts.
  • Glazed the phone box.
  • Painted the buffers on D2201.
  • Filled the vertical joint in the bridge abutments.
  • Replace the group of the clergymen and the car, which had been removed while I was working on the layout
  • Installed a sign by the bridge.
attachicon.gifScene complete 15.7.18.jpg

An ecumenical matter...

attachicon.gifAn ecumenical matter.jpg

Jonty's stalker has been out again..

attachicon.gifJonty at work.jpg

Alex

Very much in agreement, Alex. I take many photos of my own efforts and have changed quite a few things as a result..

Rob.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments. I must confess, that having lived in Cornwall ( a place where telegraph poles are vertical) I had forgotten about wobbly Fenland poles. I am pleased to report that there is still one on Elm Lane (out of camera shot) that isn't quite straight. I was going to straighten it, but having read the comments, will leave well alone.

It's a salutory reminder that sometimes things in the real world are not quite square, and we can risk making models too perfect.

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Upwell Drove is back home from it's first outing to the Paignton show, and is currently being re-erected next to Diddington. It was a good outing, intended as a bit of a shakedown so I could addrees any shortcominmgs for the future. I learned a bit, met some old friends and made some new ones, so it was a good trip.

Ome point I'm pondering on. The distance between the bottom edge of the proscenium and the track on Upwell Drove is quite high. I have made the proscenium the same height as on Diddington. However, Diddington is wider, and I'm thinking the visual effect may be better if I lower the proscenium. The question is then, should I keep them the same height, or lower the proscenium on Upwell Drove (and the Elm Lane section.)?

Alex

• Like 1

Alex - I think the proscenium would benefit from dropping a few inches, as you said the boards of Upwell drove are fairly narrow.

We had some really positive feedback about your layout Alex, thanks for bringing it along to the show and hopefully you enjoyed yourself.

Now the important bit, did I convince you to change over to sound etc !

Cheers Chris

I like the idea of a bell. I've been looking for a sound chip for an 04 with a bell. No doubt there will be a J70 chip with a bell.Presumably the tramway could be DCC and Diddington remain DC, with the tramway engines being DCC fitted, and the DCC controller being on the tramway.

On the subject of the proscenium, I've marked it out for lowering by approx 40mm. The saw will probably reach it later this week.

Alex

Proscenium Arch;

In mathematics and the arts, two quantities are in the golden ratio if the ratio between the sum of those quantities and the larger one is the same as the ratio between the larger one and the smaller as shown in the diagram below, expressed algebraically:  (a + b) / a = a / b = φ

Appendix27.jpg  Half the height 'a' it always looks right! (mostly)

Ian B

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jonty "Daktari" Chambers has got some new tranport. He took it on a test drive out of Diddington. Stopping at Elm Lane, he got out his camera, to be greeted by an old friend. The sentinel "Twywell" was on loan from Juniper Hill, and was being tried out on a train of vans to Upwell Drove.

post-6772-0-46399500-1535400310.jpg

A little while later, Twywell came back, with another old friend

post-6772-0-05038900-1535400393.jpg

Alex

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alex,

Nice shots of old friends... ;)  Twywell is a bit of a favourite of mine.

Hope Clarence the Lion isn't lurking in the undergrowth for an unsuspecting J'D'J?! 

Jonty's new wheels look a bit smart too..

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Looking very nice Alex.

Jonte seems very at home and no doubt his new transport will take him off the beaten track.

Does rather put Norman Lockharts Austin Seven to shame.

Rob.

• Like 1