• RMweb Gold

The prompt for my revisit is the impending arrival of a new item of motive power, which in turn will lead to a new layout. 

Ahead of this, I am conducting some research.....

Rob. 

20201114_105052-01.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

The prompt for my revisit is the impending arrival of a new item of motive power, which in turn will lead to a new layout. 

Ahead of this, I am conducting some research.....

Rob. 

20201114_105052-01.jpeg

Go on, Go on.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/103471893@N02/50169153928/in/album-72157714364768231/

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Rather good, methinks. Missed Ringo's voice over but impressive all the same. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• wiggoforgold changed the title to The Diddington project - Upwell Drove - Happy Christmas 2020
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It’s over a year since I last posted on this thread. With my Yelverton project progressing well, so that it will probably be scenically largely complete in the net six months or so, thoughts have turned to the next project.

A number of possibilities were considered, some of which may see the light of day at some point, but for my next project I am returning to East Anglia and giving my existing Diddington layout an update. The new project will be called Diddington mark two.

The original Diddington was conceived about twenty five years ago. Technology has changed since then, and I have learned a lot, which will be incorporated in the new layout.

I’ve given some thought about what I want to change about Diddington.  The track plan will remain unchanged, and the boards trackwork and a large part of the scenery will form part of the new Diddington, with no need to make a complete change. The biggest shortcoming is the platform length, and I’m going to insert an additional 2’ between the station and station throat boards. This will enable me to lengthen the platform, and realign the turnout  leading into the goods yard, which I have been unhappy with for years.

The signal box will be moved to the platform end, and will be a model of the one at St. Ives (Cambridgeshire) A new station building will be a model of Bluntisham, and a model of Huntingdon East shed will replace the existing engine shed, which was always the intention.

Additional point motors, and a new control panel are planned, and the new layout will at last be fully signalled. A new cassette fiddle yard will be installed, which initially will be shared with Yelverton.

The terminus of the tramway at Outwell Drove will be returned, but the Elm Lane section will not be part of the home layout, the space released providing room for the additional section at Diddington.

Work will commence in the New Year. I've been getting together items for the "new" layout, including some new engines, so hopefully work will move ahead quite quickly. 

Have a grat new year everybody - hope it is better than the last one!

Alex

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 4

• wiggoforgold changed the title to The Diddington project - Diddington mark 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I decided that the first area I would tackle on Diddington mark 2 would be the loco shed. The original shed, installed when the layout was built used the Prototype models Stamford shed, which I am very pleased with, but something more suitable for the locality was needed. I have long wanted to model Huntingdon East and drew up a set of plans back in 1987! 
A search for suitable parts led me to a company called Laser Cut Creative, who produce modular buildings in 00, and their small engine shed kit provides the basis. I have been able to extend it by purchasing additional parts from their website.

Construction has started by reducing the height of the side panels. The picture shows the cut down side panel with an original panel for comparison.

BA1C2618-D011-44DE-BA37-BFF43B9927BF.jpeg.02ddbd771ad39752792a62bf10077b49.jpeg

The sides will lock into the ends to make up the shell of the building. I’ve started work on the ends, commencing with the closed end. 
1CC1B739-C5DE-4A7F-AA43-32E4A9D04A16.jpeg.6e41c5bc2ed4ab9e281a6508841da661.jpeg

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 16

• wiggoforgold changed the title to The Diddington project - Huntingdon East locomotive shed

Basic structure of the new engine and is now complete. Essentially is an L-cut small engine shed with an extra sue panel, new ends and the roof modified so it sits between the ends rather than overhangs them. Painting is now underway.

A798F8C8-0AA0-485A-8F7D-9C53AC645609.jpeg.b4451c11b8bf9a4b4299257cd43fa8c6.jpeg

8331B02C-5E6F-4AE2-9E6D-75A5DECEEF95.jpeg.4fd400c6ba8c8d75cd761e662c693891.jpeg

11857DB0-4C6D-43CF-A434-077017975405.jpeg.bdf2aaecd6fd78a2e8eab69943e6ef10.jpeg

Alex

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

64FF4362-AEF1-4EDB-AC3B-BCDE33F11813.jpeg.70681fc18650941992dd298ace8b93b6.jpegThe brickwork on the engine shed is more or less done. I gave the laser cut shell a coat of sealer, followed by a spray of primer. The brickwork was then given spray coats of various shades of  yellow/brown paint. I used Mig “New wood” and “Ochre earth”. All the articles I found on the net about painting laser cut buildings used enamels at this stage, but the paints I had to hand in suitable colours were acrylic, so I used them without difficulty. When dry, I went over the brickwork with various shades of weathering powder, mainly “concrete” and “smoke”, used both wet and dry. I was careful when using wet mixes to keep as little moisture on the surface of the model, to avoid the risk of it soaking in and distorting the laser cut parts. In places, some of the powder was wiped off with a damp paper towel.

I’ve painted the window frames ready for installation, and have made a start on tiling the roof.

Alex

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

The main work on the new engine shed for Diddington is now complete. It needs a bit of detailing added, in the form of gutters and lamps, and fitting in place on the layout.

I tried some new techniques in the construction, using ideas picked up while working on Upwell Drove and Yelverton.

It was my first attempt at a laser cut kit. I wanted something that would consistently cut out the shapes of the windows and window frames, and laser cutting provided that. I’m also pleased with the appearance of the bricks. For many years I used the embossed and moulded plastic sheets produced by Slaters and Wills. The problem with these is that the production method leaves the edges of the bricks slightly rounded, which looks most unlike machine cut bricks. The most effective method to my mind is the Pendon  method of scribing and painting individual bricks. This method produces some wonderful results, but I can’t come up with  the consistency of line and steadiness of hand to pull this off.  I prefer printed papers, such as Scalescenes, which give a consistent appearance, without the rounded corners of plastic sheet. Laser cutting provides a smooth face to the bricks, with no rounding, and gives a greatly improved appearance.

I tried a new method for the windows. The glazing was fixed in place behind the window apertures. The window frames were then dropped in to the apertures and are retained in place by the glazing. This method required little adhesive in the frames (I used glue’n’glaze where necessary) and in many cased the frames were a gentle force fit, and didn’t need any adhesive to retain them.

I used laser cut slates for the roof. Again, industrial and railway buildings used machine cut slates, and laser cutting provides consistency of appearance. I used weathered roof slates (LX410-00) from   from Scale Model Scenery, applied in strips to the laser cut roof from the kit, using the engraved lines of slates on the roof as a guide.

The louvres on the prototype looked a bit less substantial than those in the kit, so the kit parts were thinned down, and part of the end cut away , leaving just the roof supports.

Overall, I’m pleased with the result, and the redevelopment of the shed area has taken a step forward.

91494AE1-6FB7-4FB0-AAF2-4BA9190620F7.jpeg.d98f9cf799702572dd4373adeee54a51.jpeg

The white patches visible inside the shed are the glue'n'glaze used to fit the glazing. It dries clear, but was still wet when I took the photos

F374DB2E-9E30-4F16-B177-6AE68D69B0BF.jpeg.89a6393efb060d5344c2dc40a3dcbb6f.jpegD0105A1C-40DB-474F-AE81-3B51258E88B7.jpeg.35457a2a14dff21d0f4c80a329b383b0.jpegFB1ABA37-B912-4F0B-9F4B-27804918E9DE.jpeg.b8f8a71d30da2e9d1f1475c0e0e54b65.jpeg2CAEDFFB-03F0-4772-A3BC-E6A68AD56D5C.jpeg.061f66440477122989a94822af6eb62d.jpeg

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, Ivatt46403 said:

Have you got/seen a colour photo of the shed? I realise I was surprised to see you model it that colour, but actually that makes sense and I think I've only seen b&w photos....

Hi Marcus. I haven't seen a colour photo. The yellow brick is on the basis that the other railway buildings were yellow brick and in b&w photos they seem to be the same shade, and the window frames and louvres are green because in the photos they look too dark to be cream.

Alex

• Like 1