Upwell Drove will be making a couple of public appearnaces later in the year:

12 October: Yealmpton

7-8 December: Manchester

I'm currently working on making sure everything is ready for Yealmpton. I hope to have the village street finished by then. Here's a picture of work in progress:

966276960_22.9.19J70andvancrossingstreet.jpg.0088f747eeb02886823a14c5b8b5f9d8.jpg

As alluded to above, Elm Lane has been shortened to fit the layout room at home. About 1822 was removed from one end with a saw, and the end and backscene were rebuilt.

Finally a couple of pictures of the layout in operation:

A J70 arrives at Upwell Drove with the morning freight.

619152305_22.9.1968223arrivesatUpwellDrove.jpg.29e75d25ee65a74ad299d7d24fc0d0a3.jpg

A lone van awaits unloading in the yard.

547660743_22.9.19Vanawaitsunloading.jpg.cc3ffd68de0c6c54c8e6113b31f5ea3d.jpg

Alex

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff Alex. 

Love this photo. !!! Modelling at it's very best. 

When will the tour T shirts be available? 

"Wiggers Tour 2019" 

966276960_22.9.19J70andvancrossingstreet.jpg.0088f747eeb02886823a14c5b8b5f9d8.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

Ah, merchandising. I could have mugs with pictures  of J70s on them :)

Toby Jugs !

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Nice photo's Alex. I like the brambles, weeds etc, just the look I'm going for on my new layout. I'll have to read through your thread and get some ideas. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I have been looking at Peckett's Wharf for ideas, so there is clearly something circular going on here!

Alex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

Thank Rob. Looking forward to seeing Bleat at Edington. Maybe I'll bring Jonty on a visit :)

Alex

Splendid! Norman will put the kettle on. 

Rob 

I've done a bit more work on the undrgrowth round the old cattle dock. The brambles are done with theatrical hair, hairspray, and various scatter materials. I feel I'm nearly there with the scenery - I need to build up a bit more undergrowth at the  village end of the yard.

2104259085_24_11.19cattledockentrance.jpg.a53113ed9445e31175532ea74bbc179c.jpg

791395798_24_11.19undergrowthandbuffers.jpg.8488fdcc4771fb704a3746e874eb633f.jpg

Alex

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Martyn

Theatrical hair is also known as "Postiche". I get mine from Treemendus who sell it as "canopy" and they use it in their tree kits. I'd also recommend a couple of other products from Treemendus -  bark powder and earth powder.

The "canopy" comes in the form of a plait about 15 cm long and about 1.5cm in diameter. To use it, cut off a length of about 1.5 cm, and tease it out with your fingers. It's very fine, and very fragile at this stage.

Spray the area where it is to go with hairspray. Try and get one that doesn't have much of a perfume, and go for soething with firm hold. Don't go for cheap ones that remain sticky and dry with a sheen. Smaller sprays are better than large ones, as they are more controllable.

Having sprayed the area, drop the teased out "canopy" on it. Don't be tempted to press it down with a finger. It can be teased into place a bit with a couple of darning needles or cocktail sticks.

Once in place, give it another coat of hairspray, and sprinkle it with green turf scatter for the leaves. I use various shades from Carrs and Green Scenes that I've had for ages.  Repeat the scatter process if necessary.

The aim is to end up with a fine network of branches formed by the "canopy", with leaves from the scatter material.

Get hold of Gordon Gravett's book on modelling grassland, as that has lots of ideas and techniques.

I need to build up the undergrowth at the village end of the station this week, so I'll take some pictures as I go along to illustrate the process.

Alex

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4