Thanks for the 'how to' Alex, couple of questions. does the hairspray stick the leaves well and what was used for the  ground work, ballast etc?

I've always used horsehair for brambles but the postiche looks a lot thinner, I like the fact you can tease it out to the look you want.

Steve.

Steve

The pastiche is a bit thinner than horsehair, I've used both from time to time, but Upwell Drove is currently all postiche.

The hairspray holds well. Use one with "firm hold" (Tresemme grade theirs 1-5. Use a 5). After scattering I go over it with a hand held vacuum to pick up any story bits. Odd strands can be snipped off with scissors.

The ballast is a mixture of Chinchilla grit from a pet shop, and ash. The yard areas are more ash, sprinkled on PVA. To give the effect of grass coming through, I put static grass over the ash while the glue was wet, and vacuumed it off while the glue was still wet, to leave a few fibres poking through the ash. There's also a bit of Treemendus earth powder in there, sprinkled along the edges by the grass.

There's a few patches in the road where the surface has worn away. The basis of the landform is card mounting board. I cut away the top layer of the card, leaving the rough inner core, and filled the resultant hole with chinchilla grit (I got this idea from "Mutton".

Alex.

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Mark and thanks for your help today. We are enjoying the show and have already met lots of friends old and new. Pictures to follow when we get heme.

Special  thanks to Liz who drove the layout up from Cornwall in a hired car she only picked up on Thursday with horrendous road conditions between Birmingham and Manchester. Couldn't have done it without her.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Alex

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The layout looks just splendid, Alex. A real credit to you. 

Thanks for posting the photos, Mark. 

Rob. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Alex,

Good to meet you (and Mark) yesterday and enjoyed the couple of chats that we had during the day. The layout is as good as the photos promised it to be. 

Phil agreed with me that Upwell Drove was 'Best in Show' and made his trip up from Launceston well worthwhile. Oh, and Elm Lane is a mini-delight in itself!

David

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas, Alex. 

Well done on what appears to have been a bit of a tour de force at Manchester. 

If ever there was a layout likely to inspire me to try L&NER..:o........then this is it...

Tremendous stuff. 

Rob 

( Looking forward to catching up at Edington) 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/12/2019 at 21:01, wiggoforgold said:

A couple more pictures:

Having arrived at Upwell Drove, 68223 starts to shunt a train of vans.

DSCF2038.jpg.9404d54a8eca9df0b89720d87aafcec2.jpg

Ex LMS van anbd GE brake van

DSCF2031.jpg.ca4f1277b549a9f63fb0a2a5d842604a.jpg

Alex

I kept coming back to these photos tonight after each update. This is a really excellent layout, so glad I saw it at the RM Web day.

Happy Christmas

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have just spent a very pleasant time looking back through this thread and in particular the bud of Upwell Drove. 

Really enjoyed myself...............again. 

Rob. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Great to see Diddington and Upwell Drove once more. 

Hard to believe it was almost a year ago I helped Alex & Liz operate Upwell Drove at the Manchester Show. 

I know Alex is busy building his take on Yelverton but hopefully we can have some Fenland action once more. 

Thanks for bringing this layout thread out again Rob. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1