Etching software

If if wanted to draw something to be etched what is the best software to use? I realise that there are lots of different ones and to some extent what you're most familiar with is what's best. Also, are there any good inexpensive programs? I've got a few year of Solidworks experience although I don't currently have access to it, if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Gareth

Gareth - To some extent it depends on who does your etching. If you use PPD Ltd for example [and why not!], they prefer to have artwork submitted in DWG files with layers as per their guide in their website. Obviously both CAD and vector drawing packages can both create layers and fills but CAD programmes are probably better at controlling the length of lines than vector drawing packages. Personally I use AUTOCAD as it can produce zero width lines in the appropriate colours and then fill in the space between them with the same colour [on the PPD protocol, these lines and fills are on different layers].

This is just one persons view but hopefully it helps.

I'm not sure about specific etching software, but I use Adobe Illustrator. As most etchers can receive EPS or PDF documents you'd need something that can produce these formats as a minimum. Illustrator uses layers to produce artwork, which I use to produce individual parts and the necessary tags to hold them onto the fret. It can also export artwork for use in 3D software so you can do a virtual build.

As long as you can draw accurately, can plan efficiently and can visualise what you're drawing, I think most drawing/illustration applications can be used.

What are you planning on producing, and in what scale?

I have a desire for a 4mm LNWR brake van. I also have a need for the same brake van in 2mm.

I understand that a 2mm member is producing an etch for an LNWR brake van in 2mm (I saw a test etch about a year ago). Which type is it that you're after?

Andy

Many years ago I got a copy of Autosketch 5 that came on the CD on the front of a PCPro magazine, and later got a copy of Autosketch 9 for about £25. Unfortunately its now difficult to get Autosketch for a sensible price.

Autosketch is a good 2-D drawing package and does what I need for producing artwork for etching (see the Ramblers Wagon Works thread). Unfortunately it doesn't produce output in a format that my favoured etcher (PPD) will accept (despite what it says on their website), so I export my artwork as a .dwg file and then tidy it up in TurboCAD. Now you might ask "Why not send the .dwg file to PPD" and the answer is that some of the "fill" gets stripped off in the export.

I find TurboCAD less intuitive than Autosketch but I'm getting more familiar with it, to the extent that I now don't bother doing much of the "fill" in Autosketch and leave that to the TuboCAD stage. I also do small edits in TurboCAD and have been experimenting with its 3-D capabilities. Putting my money where my mouth (or should that be "pen") is, I bought the latest issue of the Deluxe (i.e. basic) version for about £50.

• RMweb Premium

Some years ago I got a copy of Progecad 2009 following advice on a thread on here.  It produces dwg files that most etchers work with.  I have used PPD but also use Grainge and Hodder and they can now accept dwg files.  the dwg is a standard autocad file and any software that produces that will do.  It is possible to get earlier versions of Autocad on the internet for £20 so basically get anything that produces dwg.   The main thing as mentioned above is getting to grips with layers and then sticking rigidly to a specific set of layer names.

Have fun

Jamie

I use Illustrator as well, and supply to PPD as a layered PDF with no problems. This has proved to be more reliable than sending the .ai files directly.

Illy has always been ill-behaved with electronic transmissions, even back in ye olde pre-www days. As a matter of interest, did you try zipping Illy files for PPD?

Archived