EZ command - enough ooomph ?

Chrisr40

Good afternoon all

I am lucky enough to have a fairly large loft layout that is currently wired for DC on all 3 running lines but I can switch the Inner to an EZ command DCC controller and the middle line to a DCC70 black box as required.

I know this isnt ideal and there is a risk in having the two controllers feeding into track circuits that are in proximity and possibly linked to each other at times.

I have avoided a magic smoke disaster so far but dont want to trust my luck.

Does an EZ command have sufficient oomph to power a fairly large layout that would only see a maximum of 2 or 3 trains running at once

Here is a quick pic that shows about half the layout

All help  or advice very much appreciated

Chris

post-7105-0-47020700-1383066539.jpg

If you are not running DCC sound I don't see why not.

The EZ command isn't powering the track, the track length doesn't really matter, it is powering the trains themselves so you should be good to go - give it a try, the worst that can happen is that nothing happens and the trains stand still.

Hi Karl

Okay - thanks for your reply - I guess nothing ventured nothing gained.

My only other question concerns the mechanics of running a DC and DCC option on my layout. If for example I had a feed from the EZ command that linked it to all the 3 running lines would this not cause a problem when I  turned it off and tried to run DC control with individual feeds to each line as all 3 lines would now effectively be linked  to a common bus and therefore unable to be run idependently of each other ? as DC power supplied to one line would also be fed down the DCC feed and into the other 2 lines

I hope that sort of makes sense...

Regards

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Yes you are correct with that statement.

Could you not put switches in circuit?

So you have 3 feeds to each track a double pole switch in each of the feeds to the tracks so that it can be completely isolated.

When running DCC close all the switches.

When running DC open all the switches to have independant track control, if you can put a track layout diagram up i'm sure between us all we could come up with a solution.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

thanks very much for the kind offer - I dont have a track diagram unfortunately ( and with it being a loft layout and it being particularly brass monkeys tonight I didnt fancy nipping up and drawing one :blush: ) but what you have suggested makes good sense and is the only way I could think of doing it to stop DC power using the DCC bus to hop about the layout.

Many thanks again for your speedy reply

Best Regards

Chris

Ian's suggestion is spot on Chris - always best with two system options to keep everything safely separate.

Having done something similar on a layout belonging to a club we fitted a lovely chunky DPST isolating switch for the DCC with a bright red aircraft missile style flip cover to ensure no one did anything silly by mistake.

Hopefully we can sort out something for you in way of a wiring solution.

Do you know the funny thing is Karl that I work for a company that builds sticks for fighter aircraft amongst other bits and bobs - wonder if they could let me have a spare ?

I think I have an idea now of what to do - 3 feeds for DCC to the 3 individual lines from the EZ command - each of which having an isolating switch in them (Im pretty sure I have a 3 pole switch in the loft somewhere). Three seperate DC feeds to the lines from the Duette and standard Bachmann controller. For DC - close the switches on the DCC feeds so that the DC lines are isolated from each other and open them when I want to shut the DC off and use the DCC via the EZ command.

Many many thanks chaps much appreciated indeed

Chris

I suspect that any such 'dual running' scenario would be short-lived - once the advantages of the freedom of dcc operation are experienced

EXCEPT for the short-term intitial use when wanting to test and run in a newly purchased loco, before choosing which dcc decoder to install.

However, if it allows safer use of the current systems, then the earlier the switches are fitted; the better!

The 'RISK' is that when switching from one standard to the other, you will forget to remove all the innappropriate stock: the multiple locos fitted with dcc which are now in 1 ananlogue cab section, or the unconverted locos which will now start buzzing as soon as dcc power is applied to the rails 8-(

The lower risk, is the operational one of derailing stock or overunning stock at connecting pointwork... linking the 2 differing sysytems if only 1 id ananlogue, and the the other(s) dcc.

The other 'point', is that whilst such analogue-based sections remain, the full advantages of dcc and wiring simplicity are unavailable.

And I suspect a fighter's toggle switch would cost more than most peoples entire layouts!  But a Joystick is a good way of operating a Roco digital crane !

A combined switch and cover set costs a round £8 and the covers come in a variety of colours

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grayston-Flip-Aircraft-Blue-Toggle-Switch-Cover-Suits-Grayston-Toggle-Switches-/290709928964?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43afa97c04

They really do add an element of "big boys toy" to a layout and a big grin when you flip them to 'live' !

I suspect that any such 'dual running' scenario would be short-lived - once the advantages of the freedom of dcc operation are experienced

EXCEPT for the short-term intitial use when wanting to test and run in a newly purchased loco, before choosing which dcc decoder to install...

In support of this, it is really worthwhile in making the layout wiring revisions to plan ahead so that the switch gear can eventually be used to provide a selectable DC test circuit on what is normally a DCC operated layout; and ideally eiher a dedicated piece of track or a convenient layout section such as a small dead end siding to serve as the programme track.

I am lucky enough to have a fairly large loft layout ...

Totally off topic, but it is not often that one sees a fairly typical size parish church with a believable churchyard area modelled approaching true scale as it appears here.

Thanks everyone who has added to this topic - I was off line yesterday having a nose around the tower of London so could not reply. Whilst I understand the allure of full DCC I think the additional cost and skill required to fit chips is what makes me hang on to the middle ground of part DC / part DCC.Where I can buy DCC ready I tend to so so. For example I have a Hornby Triang Evening Star in A1 condition still with tissue paper etc from the year i was born and the idea of trying to chip would seem a bit wrong...dont know if thats just the old fogey in me coming out ?

I am hoping to make it to Warley this year so will keep an eye out for a booster for the EZ command as if the right price it could be a worthwhile investment.

Finally - thanks for the comments on the church - its only a metcalfe one but I have put in stained glass windows with internal lighting - I havent put many pics up before of my layout because to be honest everyone elses seem so good that I am a bit embarrassed by mine - its in no way prototypical but it keeps me and my sons happy.

Thanks again for everyones comments and suggestions

Chris

Hi Chris,

I think I would be tempted to fit the switches, as Ian suggests

Just some of my thoughts for you though
I bought an EZ command ages back
and I love it :)

Now, I know I only ever build small layouts
but I did set up a large "round the room" layout just to play trains with my nephews
I had some set track curves & odds n ends of track - so I set up as big a circuit as possible...
Much to the pleasure of the 2 young lads

The EZ command had no trouble, even when we had 3 sound-fitted locos running around the circuit at the same time
Also, I have been told "You can't run O gauge on one of them!" whilst exhibiting O gauge at a show
"Well, what am I doing here then?" was my reply...

In fact, I've run 2 O gauge sound-fitted locos using the EZ
one of those locos being a current-heavy Heljan!

You could always pick up a unit 2nd hand, and flog it again later?

BTW. I have a more elaborate controller for programming,
but for shows, I always use the EZ - it's so simple

Let us know how you get on
Marc

Fwiw Iike the ez command. I don't bother with sound and its useful and ez for my young children to have a go with. I'm told there are issues with decoders with stay alives as the unit pits out a bit more than 16v (which is fine for normal decoders) and the low current output may be limiting.

I looked at the cost kf the Bachmann booster ( gutted at not buying an end of range one for 40 quid a few years ago) and was advised to get the tam valley booster instead. I have bought one but not tested or installed it yet.....

I started with a EZ command station and out grew the LOCO stud ability it has but I ran 4 sound locos and a DC loco with it at the same time .. no problems a dual track circuit 8 foot diameter with two marshalling yards with lots of points which where insulfrog at the time, used lots of droppers and the wire length was greater than the track length. Later I added the companion so 2 operators could work trains and it worked great no problems.. I have since scrapped that layout and moved to a Lenz LZV100 and Roco Multimause set up on a bigger layout under construction. I would think you will have no problems running DCC and DC operation of 1 loco at the same time with the Bachmann controller.

Fwiw Iike the ez command. I don't bother with sound and its useful and ez for my young children to have a go with. I'm told there are issues with decoders with stay alives as the unit pits out a bit more than 16v (which is fine for normal decoders) and the low current output may be limiting.

I looked at the cost kf the Bachmann booster ( gutted at not buying an end of range one for 40 quid a few years ago) and was advised to get the tam valley booster instead. I have bought one but not tested or installed it yet.....

I have recently fitted a stay-alive decoder to a Hornby 08 shunter

Running with the EZ command is absolutely brilliant!

I have had no problems at all

I think I may well fit stay-alive decoders into other locos

especially 08's - both Bachmann & Hornby

Most of my locos are sound fitted, but only 1x 08

The one with the stay-alive decoder runs incredibly 

It's the slowest running loco I have, and never seems to stall..... ever

No issues with running it on EZ command for me :)

Marc

Archived