DEMU Showcase 2014, Burton upon Trent, 31 May & 1 June 2014

Revolution Mike

Well now I have finally woken up would just like to say how much we thoroughly enjoyed DEMU showcase and we look forward too being back with Hazelbank next year. Thanks to Mike and crew for organising a great show. Cannot start to comment about the quality of layouts so high was the standard. Great to see Black Country Blues in the flesh. Well done lads. Need to get running and sound sorted better but it is a credit to the modellers and is early days yet. Thanks for all the very kind comments re Tullygarth too. It will appear again soon in print in a different era. See you all at Perth/Glasgow and next year at Burton.  Si 

Very good photos there Ant, but none of the N Gauge layouts there :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

Not into N Gauge then ?? :blum: ;)   :blum:  ;)

regards

Neal.

P.S. Same comments to black and decker boy.........

errh N gauge too small for me !!!!!! :laugh: 

On a serious note, I could not obtain the photos that I wanted.

I hope to do better with Horseley Fields when it comes to our Risex 2015 exhibition in February.

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT  

• RMweb Premium

Great to see Black Country Blues in the flesh. Well done lads. Need to get running and sound sorted better but it is a credit to the modellers and is early days yet.

Always keen to hear constructive criticism on how we can improve, do feel free to post your observations on either the BCB rolling stock or general layout threads.  Intrigued by your comments re. the sound?

• RMweb Gold

I thought the sound was just right on BCB though there were a fair selection of locos so maybe some not fully 'tuned' yet? The distant burble was good but I guess this is part of the subjective view of sound, some say too quiet when set like that but go louder and it gets complaints.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ant,

Having enjoyed your pics of all the layouts, I'm sorry you couldn't get a shot you were happy with of Horseley Fields. Was there a particular problem? Anything we (the operators) could've done? We're not too precious about how we run things on HF - we often slow or stop trains if people ask us to take a photo!

Cheers

Ben A.

Looks like it was a good show... as presumably expected (or as I'd have expected). I had hoped to go this year but I got my dates mixed up thinking it was this weekend not last... so clashed with the return from a family holiday. I could have done with some modelling re-enthusing ...as it's seriously on the wane presently. Hope it all went well and it was a success... some other photos I've seen elsewhere suggest that a good time was had.

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Would that be a problem?

We photograph and post what we want, don't we?

Andy

I am with you, Squirrel was right........

Hi Ant,

Having enjoyed your pics of all the layouts, I'm sorry you couldn't get a shot you were happy with of Horseley Fields. Was there a particular problem? Anything we (the operators) could've done? We're not too precious about how we run things on HF - we often slow or stop trains if people ask us to take a photo!

Cheers

Ben A.

Hello Ben

I don’t normally like to interfere with the running of a layout, as it can spoil it for others watching.  

For me to get the best photos it is often better to have the train stopped at a suitable location on the layout, which is not necessary where it would stop in reality.

But now I know that you are happy to do this then, when I see you at Risex 2015 I will not hesitate to ask you, but during a quieter time in the afternoon.

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

I thought the sound was just right on BCB though there were a fair selection of locos so maybe some not fully 'tuned' yet? The distant burble was good but I guess this is part of the subjective view of sound, some say too quiet when set like that but go louder and it gets complaints.

That was the point. and I am sure reflective of the 'early days' nature of the operational layout..... Wasn't meant to be critical but if you are having a sound fitted fleet and it does sound particularly effective crawling towards and then away it is a shame when some locos aren't sound fitted/weathered etc etc! That was all. As I said the 'scene' is a masterpiece!

• RMweb Gold

Yes difficult decision but do you wait until all locos are fitted to switch sound on or just run those fitted? With the high cost of sound I'd say it's better to try and run both but try to run sound together then non sound etc as it's less noticeable that some are and some aren't.

• RMweb Premium

Yes difficult decision but do you wait until all locos are fitted to switch sound on or just run those fitted? With the high cost of sound I'd say it's better to try and run both but try to run sound together then non sound etc as it's less noticeable that some are and some aren't.

As an operator rather than loco owner I think that every loco had sound, other than the shutters. It is possible that the operators had not put the sound on. One of the problems of being a group without club room is that we only get to operate at exhibitions so no practising.

Each show we have been to there has been something more to learn. This time it was the ability to control the two main signals at the front from both ends, it took some getting used to and tempers were tested for a while.

Andy

Your situation without club rooms is pretty unique and I feel for your lack of 'practice' as we don't manage even with extensive space! That said the idea of an interest group like the BCB lads or the steam 57 study group in Scotland appeals to me more and more as I get older, as traditional club politics at the moment are a pain up the posterior! Anyone in Central Scotland want to start at 'Diesel Nomads club=?@?!....and have a space that we could be based in/store stuff?

• RMweb Premium

That said the idea of an interest group like the BCB lads or the steam 57 study group in Scotland appeals to me more and more as I get older, as traditional club politics at the moment are a pain up the posterior! Anyone in Central Scotland want to start at 'Diesel Nomads club=?@?!....and have a space that we could be based in/store stuff?

Finding storage space and working out the funding are both very good places to start on a communal project. The BCB project had funding but struggles for storage (let alone operating) space. 

• RMweb Premium

Your situation without club rooms is pretty unique and I feel for your lack of 'practice' as we don't manage even with extensive space! That said the idea of an interest group like the BCB lads or the steam 57 study group in Scotland appeals to me more and more as I get older, as traditional club politics at the moment are a pain up the posterior! Anyone in Central Scotland want to start at 'Diesel Nomads club=?@?!....and have a space that we could be based in/store stuff?

There are no club politics, we are friends, share the same ideals even if our gauges, scales and periods vary, we meet when we can, eat pies, drink beer and play trains and talk all manor of rubbish. That's it.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I shrank them down so may have lost some of the quality. I was sure I'd wiped the memory card beforehand but this looks a bit non-D&E to me...

:jester:

Guilty as charged................. :boast:

Cheers,

Mick

Had a good day out on the Sunday, my photos are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95470425@N07/sets/72157644699954848/

I shrank them down so may have lost some of the quality. I was sure I'd wiped the memory card beforehand but this looks a bit non-D&E to me...

14206452707_cbc3c184e0_c.jpg

DSCF0405 by sprinters1981, on Flickr

:jester:

We needed something to boil the water for the tea!

steve :-)

Archived