Will's LNER West Highland Works

will5210

The K4 hybrids are interesting. I take it you've reused the Bachmann K3 footplate and cab?

Thank you.

The K3 running plate is used unchanged. Technically its 2mm too short & on my upcoming 3rd K4 I may lengthen it, but on these 2 I left it.

The cab of the green K4 is stock Bachmann with the larger boiler hole patched, but on the black one I cut out the cab front & replaced it with one with front windows which better matched the shape of the K4.

These photos should help explain:

K3 cab patched
10564332683_93ecbf1ac0_z.jpg
DSC01730 by will5210, on Flickr

K3 cab with cut out

10564473543_1fe52a92c9_z.jpg
DSC01739 by will5210, on Flickr

Replacement spectacle plate

10564190525_675111228f_z.jpg
DSC01738 by will5210, on Flickr

Fitted

10564331254_00d5aa8a45_z.jpg
DSC01742 by will5210, on Flickr
10564580544_81577f314f_z.jpg
DSC01754 by will5210, on Flickr

A marginal improvement, but worthwhile I feel.

Cheers

Edited by will5210
  • Like 7

Some months ago, I did wonder if I could use the South Eastern Finecast K3 etched chassis, footplate and cab as the basis of a K4 in P4. Dave Bradwell produces a suitable tender. Still looking at the logistics.

Well, I think that would produce a good model with the slight compromises in footplate length & cab front I discussed above.

There's also the Alexander models K4. Are there issues with springing preventing it being built to P4?

Cheers

Well, I think that would produce a good model with the slight compromises in footplate length & cab front I discussed above.

There's also the Alexander models K4. Are there issues with springing preventing it being built to P4?

The Alexander K4 chassis would require a little modification for springs, whereas the SEF K3 chassis would not.

Ah I see.

Well if SEF are willing to sell you a chassis on its own I'd say that putting that under the Alexander body would be strictly the most accurate option. 

Though the components you described + a Hornby B17 boiler suitably butchered could work too.

G'day all

The actual K3 chassis was 7'6+8'9 and the K4 7'3+9'0, but I don't think I could spot 1mm difference in the middle axle spacing.

SE Finecast supply their chassis separately. I bought one to replace an old Triang/Hornby chassis in a Wills K3 body kit that was one of the first locos that I built (c1970), but I haven't built it yet. The SE Finecast A3/W1 chassis units are amongst the best I have built, and the K3 looks the same.

Atlantic 3279 on the LNER forum converted a Hornby B17 superstructure to a K4. I think the K4 boiler/firebox length is 8mm less than the B17.

Dave Alexander does the 3500gal tender with high front, that was only fitted to the K4's and V4's.

Keep up the good work

Earlswood nob

Edited by Earlswood Nob

G'day all

The actual K3 chassis was 7'6+8'9 and the K4 7'3+9'0, but I don't think I could spot 1mm difference in the middle axle spacing.

SE Finecast supply their chassis separately. I bought one to replace an old Triang/Hornby chassis in a Will K3 body kit that was one of the first locos that I built (c1970), but I haven't built it yet. The SE Finecast A3/W1 chassis units are amongst the best I have built, and the K3 looks the same.

Atlantic 3279 on the LNER forum converted a Hornby B17 superstructure to a K4. I think the K4 boiler/firebox length is 8mm less than the B17.

Dave Alexander does the 3500gal tender with high front, that was only fitted to the K4's and V4's.

Keep up the good work

Earlswood nob

Hi, I'm pretty sure K3 & K4 share a common wheelbase (middle axle pushed pack for middle cylinder clearence maybe?), whereas K2, V1 & V3 use the tradtional GNR 7'3" + 9'0".

I'll check my drawings.

Edit: The drawings I have (Ian Beattie - Locomotives of the LNER) have K3 & K4 with 7'6" + 8'9"

Cheers

Edited by will5210

Afternoon all

Apologies to everyone

As Paul says the green book indicates 7'6+8'9, and it's amazing how memory plays tricks and recalls something that wasn't put there.

Earlswood nob

Post script: I used to have a photographic memory, but now I just don't get the picture

Edited by Earlswood Nob
  • Like 1

Superb work on the buildings and k4s, I will definitely follow this thread with interest.

I'm guessing your using plasticard for the buildings? I may be wrong, if I am then, what material are you using please?

Thanks

Nelson

Hi Nelson,

I'll try & find some pictures of the construction later, but basically I used 1mm clear polycarbonate for the shell of the building as I can get plenty of it free from work!

The brickwork on the bottom half is metcalf brick paper on the station building & embossed plastic on the signal box.

Window frames are strips of sticky back vinyl, though if I were doing it again I'd use plastic strip & clear-drying superglue like 'Sandside' uses on his Bacup buildings.

The roofs are the same clear plastic with strips of printed slates stuck on.

cheers

Lovely work. I will keep a close eye on this as I'm about to do a K4 using a Bachmann K3 body, B17 body and a Dave Alexander tender. I'm currently trying to source a Bachmann K3 chassis and then I can get cracking. Thanks for posting this, it has inspired me to move my project up the 'to-do' list.

Lovely work. I will keep a close eye on this as I'm about to do a K4 using a Bachmann K3 body, B17 body and a Dave Alexander tender. I'm currently trying to source a Bachmann K3 chassis and then I can get cracking. Thanks for posting this, it has inspired me to move my project up the 'to-do' list.

Hi, I still think the B17 boiler is the best way to go as you get all the firebox fittings ready to go. I just couldn't face sanding off all those boiler bands! :)

Looks great and it is good to see West Highland models in the slightly earlier period.  What is the precise timezone you are aiming for?

Could I caution you that Gibson wheels do not appreciate being taken on and off too much as the plastic to the boss gets a bit damaged.  I would leave them as they are and grace Colin Seymour with a few more pounds I am afraid.

Looks great and it is good to see West Highland models in the slightly earlier period.  What is the precise timezone you are aiming for?

Could I caution you that Gibson wheels do not appreciate being taken on and off too much as the plastic to the boss gets a bit damaged.  I would leave them as they are and grace Colin Seymour with a few more pounds I am afraid.

Hi,

I'm aiming for the immediate to WW2 period really, which sadly means my buildings are the wrong colour really but I'll have to sort that another day.. I also imagine 'Loch Long' would have been painted Green by 1939 but I like the variety of having a black K4.

Thanks for the heads up on the wheels. With the benefit of hindsight I'd have standardised the K4s with Gibson wheels as they are a little finer than the Hornby ones, but the lure of ready painted & lined Apple green ones for a tenner was too great!

Thanks for looking in!

Hi Will

How easily did the Hornby L1 wheels fit the Bachmann K3 chassis/valve gear? Did you use a Hornby wheel for the pony truck too? I was going to use the original Bachmann K3 wheels and live with the fact that they are 6" too big but if Hornby L1 wheels can be used I might give it a go.

Hi, the pony truck is the original Bachmann one. The wheel & axles are Hornby & with the bearings removed & the Bachmann gear added after scratching some grooves in the axle for the gear to grip. 

With the valve gear, I buy a spare L1 set & swap the return crank onto to Bachmann gear (an expensive way of doing it but at least you get a perfect fit). I also use the Hornby coupling rod bolts.

The Bachmann driving wheels are undersized for the K3 (a scale 5'4" I think) so they're not far off for a K4.