Colouring LED's

skt

I want to add some LED yard lights to my layout but am struggling to get them with warm white LED's. I believe I can change the colour of the white ones by painting or varnishing but wondered if anyone had actually done this with success and if so what material did they use.

Tamiya produce a number of translucent colours amongst their acrylic range

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/acrylic_1.htm

There is a yellow and an orange available which you may use to 'warm' your LEDs and they are fairly easy to get hold of too.

Humbrol used to do some too but I cannot find mention of them in their current colour list on their website.

Anytime I've had to colour lights I've used a cheap glass painting kit that was purchased from "The Works Publishers" in the high street for 2 or 3 quid at the time. It came with some plastic window charm things. :)

Mark

It's much easier to buy these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30x-SMD-LED-0603-SUNNY-WHITE-WEISS-mit-Litze-warmwhite-/321148825898?pt=DE_Modellbau_Modelleisenbahnen&hash=item4ac5f6312a

They are absolutely tiny.  You can thread the wires down the inside of the lamp post.  For less than 50p each I think they are a bargain. 

The same seller also sells dual sunny white and red LEDS for loco head lamps.  All his LEDs are available with wires or without wires (at a significant saving) if you really think you can solder the wires yourself and are insane enough to try!  (I was insane enough to try, but not insane enough to succeed.)

• RMweb Premium

I've had success in both warming and dimming the light emitted from LEDs by the application of white or off-white acrylic paint.  It isn't so apparent wham applied to the unfitted unit but when powered up and compared with an unpainted one the effect becomes noticeable.  

Many thanks for your replies and very useful suggestions. Think I will use acrylic paint and experiment with different colours and mixes. I especially liked the idea of using Quality Street wrappers as it means that I now have an excuse to open the tin that we had purchased for Xmas.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I have ordered some warm white and yellow LED lights. Which do you think is closest to replicating the incandescent bulbs of the 1960's ? I remember most lighting of the time to be quite yellow ;  house lights, industrial  lights and most street lights had a strong yellow tinge.

Edited by brian777999

The yellow ones work for me for older filament lamps with orange for gas lamps and pre WW2 electrics which were lower wattage generally.  White I would keep for the strip light era of the Seventies on.   You can use coloured film but its too fiddly for me.