• RMweb Gold

Looks like quite a project - the sketchup images with the sunlight are quite impressive.

Have you considered the Scalescenes windows for the build ? The come as part of the window arches scratchbuild pack and can be printed on OHP transparencies.

Stu

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very interesting project & use of 3D design & imaging tools to achieve authentic-looking mockups so quickly.Will follow with interest - good to see a railway works being model led

Dava

• Like 1

Thanks for the interest folks.  I'll be back in Wales this weekend and Oswestry isn't too far, so I'll pop over to get some photos of whatever details still remain.  It's grade 2 listed so much of the original structure is still intact.

Stu - thanks for the pointer, I've had a look at scale scenes and the brass masters windows.  I did think that it would be a good option, using the Scalescenes downloadable brickwork would mean you could import it into Sketchup as a texture, and then print the whole lot from Sketchup adding the arches afterwards. 

However reading through the Laser Cutting and 3D printing forum on here I'm really tempted to adapt the 3D model for laser cutting.  I've found that Brighton has a 'Hackerspace' place called Build Brighton and they have 2 laser cutters.   There is a training fee on the equipment and a monthly donation/subscription to use the space.  There's an open evening tonight so I might bob down and check it out.

In between the gales and horizontal rain I managed to get some half decent photos at Oswestry yesterday.  The building looks great since its been cleaned up and the conversion seems very tasteful.  Unfortunately the main area I wanted to get into is residents only and given the foul weather, everyone was quite sensibly staying firmly indoors.   I think I've enough to get started with now though.   A visit to the library there also proved useful, they have some plans and photographs which have helped fill in some gaps.

Here's an aerial shot giving a much better idea of the extents of the diorama:

post-17930-0-63241700-1383503659.jpg

And some photos of the various details:

post-17930-0-36554200-1383503691_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-40328300-1383503690_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-68265800-1383503689.jpg

post-17930-0-15215300-1383503692_thumb.jpg

Reading through some of the posts in the 3D & CAD forum, I think I've got a vague idea of how to get started.  Redesigning the sketchup model for 2D cutting is the next task, using the 3 layer method discussed here.  The current foamboard mockup is totally wrong in many ways, the bays aren't big enough, the doors not high enough, so I thinks starting from scratch with exact measurements taken yesterday should get things a bit more accurate!

Cheers

(editing for spelling!)

Edited by alanbuttler
  • Like 8

Getting there slowly but surely with the files for the laser cutter.  The large part of the front of the works are now done, both planned to be cut on 1mm MDF backed with 0.3mm card, as recommended in the 3D/Laser Cutting forum.   These will be strengthened by a 3mm inner section, with the internals walls attached to this.

I popped down to the Build Brighton workshop tonight and it was a hive of activity, must have been 20 people + there using all manner of kit.  It was good to see the laser cutter and 3D printer both working with plenty of off cuts of scrap for practise!

For the 3D printer I'm hoping to create models for the erecting shop overhead crane mechanics and the traverser.  I've not been able to find anything about the equipment in Oswestry, but Alan S Peck's 'The Great Western at Swindon Works' has 2 diagrams of a traverser and overhead crane which I can adapt.  That's the plan at least!

Here's the progress with the files for the laser cutter:

post-17930-0-85155700-1383869949_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-18896000-1383869957_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

There's a few photos of the erecting shop and works in the gallery on here, uploaded by Paul Boot.  This is the scene I'm planning to recreate in the interior, though more likely to be early 1950s

gallery_9526_1047_205955.jpg[/u

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/1047-oswestry-loco-works/

Edited by alanbuttler
  • Like 9

The front elevation of the works is now almost ready, at least I thought it was until I realised I'd made the same mistake as with the mockup... the entrance isn't high enough! Doh :)

I've been working from the photographs took of the building using brick dimensions of 1mm x 3mm x 1.5mm, 'laying them' in 3D as per the prototype.  Unfortunately, even though the numbers of bricks are identical, the scaled dimensions don't allow for enough height through the entrance still.  Scaling a works drawing of a Manor and dropping it into sketchup confirmed the worst...

post-17930-0-94119300-1384201636.jpg

It's about 4mm needs adding, shouldn't be too big a job to alter.  Thursday night I'll hopefully be getting the first test parts cut, probably one of the erecting shop crane supports as it will be interesting to see how well this stuff snaps together

post-17930-0-94508700-1384201633.jpg post-17930-0-47201900-1384201633.jpg

Back to the virtual drawing board!

post-17930-0-77544200-1384201634_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-98730000-1384201635_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Adding 4mm to the bottom of the structure has sorted the clearance.  This original entrance was quite tight for modern locos (the one of the left was a new, possibly GWR addition).

Thankfully didn't take as much as I thought to rectify and it's made me give more thought to track height in the works.   A side effect is that the windows are a little higher from the ground now, though I can live with that.

The cross section below assumes 5mm C&L foam base to recess the structure into, 1mm C&L wooden sleeper depth, and 3mm plasticard in the works to bring the floor up level with the rail. 

post-17930-0-44533400-1384211258.jpg

Edited by alanbuttler
  • Like 4

It's time for another mock-up to check clearances and scale as I'm still not happy about the height of the original entrance to the works.  Adding another 4mm has improved things without putting the things too far out prototype, but the mock up says otherwise.  I guess in 3D where 5mm means 5mm its fine, but in real life where 5mm foamboard is more like 5.75mm its another matter :)

post-17930-0-19166800-1384379303_thumb.jpgpost-17930-0-16439100-1384379304_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-18104700-1384379305_thumb.jpgpost-17930-0-35549000-1384379306_thumb.jpg

A couple more mm will do the trick, maybe just raising the height of the entrance arch 2mm instead of increasing the height of the whole model by 2mm.

Unfortunately I've got to work late the next 2 evenings, so I'll miss my slot on the laser cutter tomorrow.  It'll have to wait until next Thursday but there is plenty to do in the meantime!

• Like 1

Err just a thought. Have you allowed for the combined thickness of the mortar courses? On my prototype I measured the overall dimensions of key sections of brickwork and sampled some individual brick dimensions as well as noting the number of courses, headers, stringers and closers and if the mortar lines (approx 1/8-1/4") weren't factored in then the measurements never tallied, despite it being clearly visible how many bricks were used and  how they were arranged.

In the photo in post #9, one of the loco's has it's cab removed, was this to allow it to get into the works via a low doorway?, were Cambrian loco's lower than GWR ones for this not to be a problem? Just a couple of thoughts.

Mike.

That's a good point Mike, I think the original entrance must have definitely been an issue for some higher GWR locos.  The squarer entrance was a later addition as far as I can gather from diagrams and photos, possibly post grouping.   You can see the remains of a blocked up window above the entrance.  

Err just a thought. Have you allowed for the combined thickness of the mortar courses? On my prototype I measured the overall dimensions of key sections of brickwork and sampled some individual brick dimensions as well as noting the number of courses, headers, stringers and closers and if the mortar lines (approx 1/8-1/4") weren't factored in then the measurements never tallied, despite it being clearly visible how many bricks were used and  how they were arranged.

Another good point! But mortar has been taken into consideration I'm pretty sure - I've taken the brick sizings from the findings of the folks posting in the 3D/Laser Cutting forum.  Just double checking now, taking one of the supporting pillars as a reference point - they are 3 stretchers wide, so 9mm in the model, taking the prototypical measurements of a 215mm stretcher and 10mm mortar that's 665mm, so 8.75mm in OO.

Header wise, they are 1mm high in the model, 65mm + 10mm for mortar in prototype = 0.98mm in OO

I guess I need the actual measurement of the entrance, and then I'll adjust the model brickwork to fit.

I have a theory as to a possible cause for this discrepancy - the original brick/ground level could have been lower.  In the 70s/80s the out-buildings would have been demolished and the ground cleared and then in the recent renovation the area covered in tarmac and pavements put in.  Ground level must be at least 2-3 bricks higher taking into account the asphalt and paving, hence my height measurements being out.  That's the theory anyway :) 

When the building was converted it is highly likely a layer of insulation was laid (for current building regs) then a new levelled floor on top - since there is plenty of height there would be no need to excavate. Also in the photos a layer of blue brick is just visible at the bottom, on many similar buildings this layer of (waterproof, pre-damp-proof course) brick is much taller. So your theory of a raised ground level is a good one, I reckon it could be 1 to 2 feet.

• Like 1

When the building was converted it is highly likely a layer of insulation was laid (for current building regs) then a new levelled floor on top - since there is plenty of height there would be no need to excavate. Also in the photos a layer of blue brick is just visible at the bottom, on many similar buildings this layer of (waterproof, pre-damp-proof course) brick is much taller. So your theory of a raised ground level is a good one, I reckon it could be 1 to 2 feet.

This photo pretty much confirms what we thought - the opening on the right was accessible by a wagon turntable at the same ground level. You can see clearly how the ground level outside the windows has been risen by at least 2 feet.

post-17930-0-16395400-1384703313.jpg

The model has been corrected now and clearance is no longer an issue.  With that little hurdle cleared I've been thinking a little about the extents of the diorama and how to include some limited operation.  With the plan to place a mirrored wall down the centre-line of the traverser, operation is limited to the 2 entrance roads and not that interesting.  The only way I can see to have some interest is by modelling the actual traverser which means modelling the tender/boiler shop.

So here goes with a very rough mock-up of what the whole locomotive works could look like (minus the machine shop);

post-17930-0-17770400-1384703321_thumb.jpg

Now I've seen it I don't think I can do anything other than model the whole thing!  It's quite a large scope change, but from a 3D/Laser cutter perspective its a simple operation to extend from 8 roads to 12.  It will likely have to be in 2 parts for transport/storage, the works and the yard, with some kind of board connection.   This now gives me the challenge of modelling a working traverser and actually have some operational potential.

Hopefully I won't look back on this moment and think 'why didn't I keep things simple...' :)

• Like 10

Well, they used to be, Golden Arrow did etched kits but they are out of stock/production right now. I think it had an etched chassis too. Might be worth making contact to express interest.  

There is also a 3D print from Shapeways courtesy of prolific designer Tebee. I guess as usual the surface finish would take a little work, and you'd have to sort your own chassis. As the loco was outside framed that could be a challenge, the Roco HF110 or a Bachmann 08 shunter with a valve gear etch from RT models might be good starting points.

Given it is such a popular line I'm surprised there aren't more options for W&L locos and stock, though Worsley Works do coach etches.

In between the gales and horizontal rain I managed to get some half decent photos at Oswestry yesterday.  The building looks great since its been cleaned up and the conversion seems very tasteful.  Unfortunately the main area I wanted to get into is residents only and given the foul weather, everyone was quite sensibly staying firmly indoors.   I think I've enough to get started with now though.   A visit to the library there also proved useful, they have some plans and photographs which have helped fill in some gaps.

Here's an aerial shot giving a much better idea of the extents of the diorama:

attachicon.gifOSW Layout.JPG

And some photos of the various details:

attachicon.gifPharmacy.JPG

attachicon.gifOSW Window.JPG

attachicon.gifGutter.JPG

attachicon.gifWindow.JPG

Reading through some of the posts in the 3D & CAD forum, I think I've got a vague idea of how to get started.  Redesigning the sketchup model for 2D cutting is the next task, using the 3 layer method discussed here.  The current foamboard mockup is totally wrong in many ways, the bays aren't big enough, the doors not high enough, so I thinks starting from scratch with exact measurements taken yesterday should get things a bit more accurate!

Cheers

(editing for spelling!)

This looks like a great modelling project. Well done!

But don't forget, your photos show a heavily altered building and in which none of the windows and smaller features (such as sills, gutters, down-spouts, etc.) you see are original. I surveyed the whole of the Works inside and out over three years in the mid 1980s for my Degree dissertation before any of the current 'conversions' took place and when most of the original features survived. Wherever you can, refer to historic photos of these Works, cautiously filled in by modern observation.