Must be a few youngsters about who could pose with suitable notebooks?

Yes, but what about them wearing grey flannel short trousers, long socks rolled down around the ankles, scuffed black leather shoes, school blazers with patched elbows, school ties, shirts and shrunken school caps?  I can't see any kids I know being prepared to do that!

Oh, and something like an old gasmask 'bag' to keep the sandwiches and Tizer in.

But I do have some old Ian Allan ABC's and a Locolog book they could grasp.

• Like 1

I'm sure one or two would pose if offered a tenner. I would have as a lad, for half a crown.

Mind, a cheap day child's return to Donny was 2/9d in those days.

Looking at those figures again, the tall bloke with the "hairstyle" wouldn't be very believable for a layout set in the 50's or 60's.......

Edited by JeffP
  • Like 1

Looking at those figures again, the tall bloke with the "hairstyle" wouldn't be very believable for a layout set in the 50's or 60's.......

Your probably right, but I'm a driver on a preserved railway. For anyone modelling that era I'm perfect ;)

• Like 1

I'm sure one or two would pose if offered a tenner. I would have as a lad, for half a crown.

Mind, a cheap day child's return to Donny was 2/9d in those days.

I'll be redeveloping a few of these poses Jeff for the range proper, these were a first attempt with the Llangollen and SVR lads to see what we could come up with.  Much more to come soon!

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can I bump this and ask if anything is happening either with the figures or the layout?

Thanks.

Hello Jeff! Thanks for persevering with the thread, I can't believe it has been a year since my last update... that time has flown by.

So brief update, since I last posted in August 2015 I've been expanding the range, currently stands at about 60 figures now, loco crew, signalmen, modern image crew, railway staff, also loco and tail lamps, signal finials and lots more to come.  It has taken 100% of my time, BUT, I am about to start making time to dust of Oswestry and set about working on it again.

Next March I'll be giving another CAD beginners course at Missenden Abbey modellers weekends and I'm going to use some aspects of the Works model as examples - that gives me something relevant for the course and also gets things moving!

The other plan is to ultimately donate the diorama to the Cambrian Museum at Oswestry, which changes the scope of the project slightly.  I'm now minded to model all 12 roads again, along with the machine shop.  The model will have a see-thru roof and see-thru south east elevation.   A working traverser with the arduino may have to come later (probably much later!).  

I'm probably getting too far ahead of myself, considering nothing has moved for getting on for 2 years, but I also fancy a much smaller footprint 7mm version, say 3 roads worth of the erecting shop, to model to a much higher level of detail.  We'll see - the priority though is to get the 4mm version built.

• Like 3

Errr wow. Any chance of doing S&T figures? A signalman holding out the staff/tablet pouch, walking back from exchange, working the frame, working the instruments, stood at the box door etc. A lampman or maintainer at work or acknowledging traffic, lookout man, p-way work gang etcetc.

I too like the idea of figures capable of standing up to close up viewing for cameo images.

Hey Steve, did you ever see these :) Only taken me a year!

post-17930-0-97012300-1473891419_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Great to hear that Oswestry is going to move forward again, I can identify with other stuff getting in the way too, LOL

The figures really  are superb, they blow others out of the water.

….The figures really  are superb, they blow others out of the water.

I can't find a U-Boat Captain listed on the sales webpages anywhere  :tomato:

But I have just ordered some drivers (I think I recognise one of them!) - now to learn how to paint them……..

• Like 1

Alan

I am currently half way through building a 7mm 14XX class kit (Modern Outline Kits) which will be 1458, one of the Gobowen Rattler locos.  I have to stop off at Oswestry sometime to check with them on the correct livery of the loco circa 1958 as well as the diagram of autotrailer(s) used and their livery.  I am hoping that unlined black for the loco and simple maroon will be the case as complex painting is not my forté.

Last time I drove past Oswestry I could not find a parking place - it seems all the Cambrian Society's spaces are leased out to local businesses during the week and, with road works and the bus station nearby, I lost patience and continued on my way down the A5.

Good news about the diorama!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My show schedule for 2016 is now finished and in a few more days I'll finally be on top of orders, which means over Christmas I can devote some time to moving the diorama on a pace.  Rough plan is a 4x2ft board with a number of the works sidings represented and part of the foot bridge.  This will serve as a photogenic spot for posing locos etc.   I've also added the machine shop which will give me a good opportunity to see what the printer can do creating machine tools.

This plan view shows the sidings, the through goods line (green) and the section of footbridge.

post-17930-0-94585300-1480596234_thumb.jpg

An overall ISO view of the yard 

post-17930-0-90932100-1480596270_thumb.jpg

Edited by alanbuttler
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Planning for the trackwork sections has started, with my first attempts at Templot currently being sanity checked by a friend! Most of these sidings are cosmetic only, as the running roads and sidings alongside the works will be used for Modelu product photographs, including the auto coach siding which was GWR concrete pot sleepered, and one of the works sidings which still had Cambrian chairs. I'll also be trying out the the new GWR slide chairs created from scans taken at Didcot back in October. Methylene chloride is the recommended solvent for use with the resin and I'll be conducting some tests with it in the new year.

post-17930-0-58788200-1482337274_thumb.png

post-17930-0-96086800-1482337430_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-58225300-1482337457_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Work on the Machine Shop addition is progressing nicely after a recent visit to the works to get some reference photos. I now use Sketchup just for creating cut lines for each sheet of MDF, then exporting as DXF in 2D to add the etch detail work such as brickwork in Draftsight.

The exterior of the machine shop which has been an antiques shop for some years now.

post-17930-0-53456900-1482606634_thumb.jpg

Detail of the original doors in the machine shop, which led to the inner works yard.

post-17930-0-99366900-1482606683_thumb.jpg

Next job is designing the windows and the wagon turntable.

post-17930-0-93451000-1482606762_thumb.jpg

Another handy feature - exporting the Templot plan as a 3D solid DXF and importing into Sketchup

post-17930-0-44530800-1482606794_thumb.jpg

Lastly, a look at the Machine Shop exterior, with the works footbridge still to be started.

post-17930-0-93107700-1482606834_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking folks, have a great Christmas and all the best for 2017!

• Like 11

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Adding 4mm to the bottom of the structure has sorted the clearance.  This original entrance was quite tight for modern locos (the one of the left was a new, possibly GWR addition).

Thankfully didn't take as much as I thought to rectify and it's made me give more thought to track height in the works.   A side effect is that the windows are a little higher from the ground now, though I can live with that.

The cross section below assumes 5mm C&L foam base to recess the structure into, 1mm C&L wooden sleeper depth, and 3mm plasticard in the works to bring the floor up level with the rail. 

attachicon.gifNormal service resumed.JPG

I have a theory as to a possible cause for this discrepancy - the original brick/ground level could have been lower.  In the 70s/80s the out-buildings would have been demolished and the ground cleared and then in the recent renovation the area covered in tarmac and pavements put in.  Ground level must be at least 2-3 bricks higher taking into account the asphalt and paving, hence my height measurements being out.  That's the theory anyway :)

Alan,

In addition to the other quite valid pints about damp course work being added later and the laying of tarmac over existing ground, your problem would have arisen because you, undestandably, didn't include mortar lines between the bricks. Seven or eight mortar lines would equal a brick height.

Cheers,

Chris