Complete list of Hymek Liveries

chris newman

Hi.

Firstly I would mention Model Rail  no 33 July 2001 - it shows 6 different liveries (7 if you count rail blue and chromatic blue).

The Power of the Hymeks - John Vaughan - 086093599 is fairly comprehensive.  I haven't checked how many liveries are covered, and there is no specific chapter or paragraph on liveries.  All the photographs, apart from the cover, are black and white.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Chris

Presumably you've seen this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_35

Only found it because I was idly googling the other day.

Regrettably it's inaccurate John - it continues the myth of white window surrounds and doesn't mention the fact that the lower bodyside lime yellow green was repainted in a much bluer shade of lime green on at least one loco.  I don't know how accurate it is on the various blues and associated 'trim colours' as when that atrocious style came along I totally switched off any interest in BR loco colours.

Hi.

Firstly I would mention Model Rail  no 33 July 2001 - it shows 6 different liveries (7 if you count rail blue and chromatic blue).

The Power of the Hymeks - John Vaughan - 086093599 is fairly comprehensive.  I haven't checked how many liveries are covered, and there is no specific chapter or paragraph on liveries.  All the photographs, apart from the cover, are black and white.

Hi,

Thanks for the info, re Model rail Do they have a back issues Dept -as I would like to get hold of other articles relating to loco's and liveries.

regds

chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Did any carry ploughs circa 62/63?

Possibly - it really depends when the miniature ploughs were introduced (which I can't date alas) but when they were available the London Division only had miniature ploughs for Hymeks, Cardiff only had them for EE Type 3s, and the Bristol Division had them for Hymeks and D63XX (no idea how many of each or where they were based.  And in any case locos fitted with miniature for the 'snow season' ran around with them on in ordinary traffic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the info, re Model rail Do they have a back issues Dept -as I would like to get hold of other articles relating to loco's and liveries.

regds

chris

I may be able to help you possibly with a quantity of Model Rail I have about to be sold for the Class 47 Preservation Project. I will have to see if the Hymek article is in the ones we have.

Likewise if anyone wants to PM me with a wants list I'm happy to help.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can tell you D7055 was noted as fitted on 16/02/63 with snow ploughs, D7000 during 03/66 and D7016 03/67.

I can also say the shortest fitted was D7021; fitted on 05/01/72.... and withdrawn on 07/01/72! (although official records show it withdrawn as 01/01/72 it ran on for a while banking on the Lickey until Worcester were ordered by Bristol to stop it and withdraw it).

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've somehow missed this thread- I've spent a lot of time researching Hymek liveries (I intend to publish a book one day for the Hydraulic modeller).

This was put on the Modellersunited website by me, - I don't belong to that forum any more so I'll post it here as well for any discussions.

The livery variants were largely relating to the lifetime of the locomotives, and evolved gradually alongside BR corporate policy. The first Hymeks (D7000-D7019) were delivered in overall BR (Brunswick) green, with lime green skirts, but from D7020 onwards were delivered with small yellow panels on their cabs.

From the late 1960s, the half yellow panel was converted to the full yellow ends – including (where photographic evidence provides direct proof) D7000, D7009, D7013; D7014; D7016, D7018, D7020, D7023; D7031; D7084; D7092; D7093; D7094; D7097. With the beginning of BR corporate (or rail) blue from 1966, some Hymeks received the intermediate or “Swindon” blue with small yellow panel. The best photograph of this livery that I have seen is on the front cover of the Modern Railways profile (cited earlier) (and provided here from my collection). It is a stunning shot of D7036 in this livery at Hereford. The earliest version of this livery included a literal interpretation by Swindon works to include painting the window surrounds as well – this was done on at least D7004, D7007 and D7051.

Most Hymek casualties had occurred during a mass cull in 1971 and 1972, and as a consequence many were never painted into standard BR blue. The following locomotives went to the scrapyard without receiving the full BR blue livery:

Green with half-yellow panel: D7002; D7003; D7005; D7006; D7008; D7021; D7024; D7025; D7054 (in 1974!); D7060

Green with full yellow ends: D7013; D7014; D7020;

Blue with small yellow panel: D7010; D7034; D7036; D7040; D7046; D7047; D7052; D7056; D7057; D7059

Other Meks to carry the blue small yellow panel livery (with white window surrounds) but were later amended to a full yellow end include:

D7004; D7012; D7027; D7048; D7064 and (possibly) D7086.

If anyone has any evidence to refute the above I'd be very happy to hear from them!

Edit 27/8/16 a photo of D7025 in GFYE at Swindon con yard has emerged, changed thus scrapped GSYP to GFYE. edit edit D7025 was in fact D7020

Edit 28/8/16 D7018 to GFYE list - thanks Stovepipe

best wishes

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I made a list of Hymek liveries some time ago, though I didn't keep a note of the picture references then.

These are my additions to your list:

GFYE - D7016, 7029, 7075, and 7094

BSYP incl window surrounds - D7010

BSYP with white windows - D7041

I have 13 locos noted as fitted with minature snowploughs at one time or other, including those noted by Mark above.

Edit : I did think D7025 got BFYE, but I think this picture proves that to be false

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glevumblues/8635286166

Edited by stovepipe

• RMweb Gold

Interesting - I've never seen a pic of D7010 in BSYP with blue surrounds - there are pics but only with white, would be good if it surfaced.

My notes agree with D7016 GFYE and thanks for the others!

Neil

• RMweb Gold

I'm wondering if D7010 is due to fat fingers on my part; certainly 3 is the normal number given for the BSYP no white windows locos - e.g. p38 Heyday of the Hydraulics by Hugh Dady. I may have picked the info up from the WDHL yahoo group, but the site seems to be down at the moment so I can't check.

• RMweb Gold

More photos of Hymeks are appearing all the time on the web

D7075 at Reading June 1969, BFYE

http://it.ebid.net/for-sale/railway-photo-br-cl-35-d7075-reading-jun-69-126528624.htm#pic

And at Landore earlier the same year GSYP

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p870200504/h30FD82A9#h30fd82a9

If it was GFYE it was for only a few months.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, so it's possible that D7010 made it onto my list because the white paint had worn away in some locations.

The rail online captions can be a bit dubious I find. For instance D7025 at STJ in 1971 definitely isn't D7025!

By the way can you link any pictures of D7020-7022 in Green with no yellow panels? I had thought it was just the first 20 that were delivered in all over green.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by stovepipe