Complete list of Hymek Liveries

chris newman

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stovepipe 

its certainly not D7041, it was BFYE. Here's one of my collection of D7041 taken at Cardiff

IMG_1033.JPG.29eaf3e5e7e64305bb6f617157396685.JPGit's not D7051 either as there are photos of it scrapped at Swindon with blue window surrounds. Could it be D7040/6/7 ? Swindon or a scrapyard spotter have rather unhelpfully removed the last two alloy numbers!

Edited by Downendian
Typos
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

It sounds very strange Russ. Is the number clearly visible? It would have had to have the syp removed for some reason, or swapped cabs with a much earlier loco. 

D7030 was delivered to Canton (coincidentally) 58 years ago today on 19th April 1962 and there is a photo of it looking very new, inside the depot (on the Colour-Rail listings) with a date of 6th May 1962 and it has a yellow panel. 

I remember this enigma well. The outcome (which I think was published in a later issue) was the photographer had used a type of film that reacted the same with yellow and green light, therefore it appeared not to have a warning panel but in reality did.

Steve

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The other thing with b/w photography is the use of coloured filters (e.g. green/yellow/red) to give different exposures/contrast effects.

These could also affect the apparent densities of different colours in the subject, when processed/printed.

3 hours ago, keefer said:

The other thing with b/w photography is the use of coloured filters (e.g. green/yellow/red) to give different exposures/contrast effects.

These could also affect the apparent densities of different colours in the subject, when processed/printed.

Interesting point made there as I have seen an image of a Brush Type 2 D5842 taken at Barnsley without a yellow panel yet it was delivered from Brush with one. Sorry to go OT but it does bring to the fore the issue of using possible 'film effects' when trying to collaborate historical information and correct previously supplied sources. I'm aware of the Hymek image of D7030 but have myself have always been wary of the 'story' behind it. Unfortunately with the advent of 'photoshop' and other computer image correction programmes there seems to be more danger of digital images being manipulated to achieve the desired result. You can't beat a good old negative or transparency to authenticate an image and that is why I keep all of mine despite that fact that I am digitally scanning them to enhance the original quality for better definition. There are a few of us on here who assist in trying to compile an accurate livery database and the use of 'correctional' or 'enhancement' devices does raise the question of authenticity.

Once again sorry to go OT but I wasn't aware myself that there were such filters that 'interfered' with the b&w rendition of an image as I have, in the main, always used colour transparency film.

Very interesting..................and possibly worrying!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BrushVeteran said:

Interesting point made there as I have seen an image of a Brush Type 2 D5842 taken at Barnsley without a yellow panel yet it was delivered from Brush with one. Sorry to go OT but it does bring to the fore the issue of using possible 'film effects' when trying to collaborate historical information and correct previously supplied sources. I'm aware of the Hymek image of D7030 but have myself have always been wary of the 'story' behind it. Unfortunately with the advent of 'photoshop' and other computer image correction programmes there seems to be more danger of digital images being manipulated to achieve the desired result. You can't beat a good old negative or transparency to authenticate an image and that is why I keep all of mine despite that fact that I am digitally scanning them to enhance the original quality for better definition. There are a few of us on here who assist in trying to compile an accurate livery database and the use of 'correctional' or 'enhancement' devices does raise the question of authenticity.

Once again sorry to go OT but I wasn't aware myself that there were such filters that 'interfered' with the b&w rendition of an image as I have, in the main, always used colour transparency film.

Very interesting..................and possibly worrying!

Yes, just to add to the O/T from Hymek distraction for a second - take a look at this 

d5524.jpg.7b92bd3813dbc81844da9fe98fc95fcf.jpg

I believe it was Gratispool film which gave this effect. Some photos from the late 60s/early 70s should be viewed with caution. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

On 18/04/2020 at 21:53, Russell Saxton said:

In one of the Classic Diesel and Electric mags there is a shot of D7030 without a yellow panel in 1964.
I'm sure i read something about this but for the life of me I can't recall what it said.
Anyone know more?

Hi Russ,

I remember this, it actually started with a b&w shot of D1033 Western Trooper in maroon apparently without a yellow panel at Plymouth North Road on 17 April 1964 on the front cover and inside the quarterly Western Power magazine, Issue 1 (September 2007). There were a few unconvincing theories and it remained a mystery until a year later when Issue 5 (September 2008) turned up with that b&w photo of D7030. It was me who flagged up that this was suffering the same issue as D1033, that its light green band also appeared to have faded and that both photos were taken at Plymouth North Road probably on the same day (it's dated just April 1964) and most likely by the same photographer; both images were from the same Stewart Blencowe collection anyway. Having noted photographic anomalies similar to Jonny777' s weird photo of 5524 above in the past I suspected something similar was going on with these, but didn't have the technical knowledge to explain it myself. Contributors to the next issue of WP suggested that it was either ageing negatives of a certain type or the use of a filter. Maybe it was a combination of the two. Any suggestion of image tampering by SB was rejected, a conclusive technical explanation was never reached but perhaps jonny777 has just supplied it.  Just to add to the confusion the same issue included a shot of D6305 & D6341 at Laira from the same source, both apparently devoid of the yellow panels they should have had!

By coincidence the above story occurred to me only yesterday when the subject of absent wasp stripes on Class 08s cropped up in another thread, although I don't think this applies there - I would imagine the black/yellow/basic livery contrasts would be too great (??)

Neil

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Friends my first train set had the ubiquitous Hymek 1A20 with full yellow ends with containers.  My question is how realistic was this scheme was as I was thinking of getting a more realistic DCC enabled Heljan model and going back to my childhood, but with a more prototypical feel 

24 minutes ago, deepfat said:

Friends my first train set had the ubiquitous Hymek 1A20 with full yellow ends with containers.  My question is how realistic was this scheme was as I was thinking of getting a more realistic DCC enabled Heljan model and going back to my childhood, but with a more prototypical feel 

Headcode 1A20 on Hymek D7063 in Rail Blue with full yellow ends.  The headcode was not appropriate for its Freightliner duties, not that it mattered too much in a train set, and in any case Hymeks weren't really used for Freightliner services!

The livery is perfect especially on a large number of Hymeks between 1967-ish and withdrawal, Heljan and now EFE Rail provide what you seek!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Willoughby Glen said:

Hi All

Is there any evidence of green locos having the D painted over like you see on some of the Blue locos?

Yes indeed - the two stovepipe mentioned, and also 7011 GSYP (Bristol 19/7/69), 7014 GFYE (Taunton 12/8/69) - and a John Vaughan pic of the rarely-photographed 7077 in scruffy GSYP on the 10.40 Cardiff - Portsmouth service near Alderbury Junction on 4/4/69 appears to show it with newly painted-out Ds. Not common though, as stovepipe says. 7014 is on my to-do list! 

4 hours ago, stovepipe said:

7092 at Gloucester Horton Road MPD_MSS0161_300971

Bizarre location for the data panel, but the first one below the works plate has disintegrated and perhaps the surface was too damaged to apply new over old - hardly mattered as it clearly due works attention anyway. Also surely the location of the 86A allocation stencil wasn't normal either, it was usually right of the cab door level with the number. The BR emblems on these high-numbered Hymeks seemed more prone to wearing away than those on the earlier locos.

For me 7092 was Hymek cop number 97, at Canton depot 4/4/72 (blue by then of course) - of the four I scored that day this was the only one still working, the other three (7021/64/67) were all withdrawn at Bristol SPM. Later that year I copped 7023 then 7018, and that was it - never did catch up with 7071/9 :(

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Bizarre location for the data panel, but the first one below the works plate has disintegrated and perhaps the surface was too damaged to apply new over old - hardly mattered as it clearly due works attention anyway. Also surely the location of the 86A allocation stencil wasn't normal either, it was usually right of the cab door level with the number. The BR emblems on these high-numbered Hymeks seemed more prone to wearing away than those on the earlier locos.

For me 7092 was Hymek cop number 97, at Canton depot 4/4/72 (blue by then of course) - of the four I scored that day this was the only one still working, the other three (7021/64/67) were all withdrawn at Bristol SPM. Later that year I copped 7023 then 7018, and that was it - never did catch up with 7071/9 :(

Also lacking the floor level door handle mod. One of only a few not to receive this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Downendian said:

Also lacking the floor level door handle mod. One of only a few not to receive this.

By then, agreed, although it must have collected them during its upcoming overhaul and repaint as I've never seen a blue one without them. There were a few green 'uns, including D7002/54/60, which went for scrap without ever getting them. Must admit I've never attempted a definitive list........something to keep me occupied on one of these now colder, and soon to be darker, evenings? Unless somebody's already beaten me to it (won't matter, I have lots of other things to do instead!) Logic would suggest that photos of green Hymeks with data panels but without the lower handles, which went on to be withdrawn still in green livery, identify those which never got the handles as their next visit to Swindon wouldn't have had a happy ending.......

Edited by Halvarras
Grammar!