The North Cornwall line in 2mm Finescale

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Wadebridge is looking superb so far.

Thats a station I have long term plans to model in, if I ever get the space to do it. I have the shed drawn up from back when I was at college ready to build it. The drawing may well have faded by now!!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I have admired John's work for years and also admired yours since I first saw Highbury. The two of you working together is a brilliant idea I might have made it to Bodmin if I had known. I look forward to catching this somewhere. Meanwhile keep posting the inspiring photos.

Don

Hi. I saw this layout at the Bodmin show today and it is much much better even than the excellent pictures suggest. Val and I spent the whole of our 3 hour visit studying it and could have stayed longer. Thanks also to John and Jerry for the very helpful and informative conversations.

Ian

Hi Stuart

The Town Quay section is indeed a delight to shunt. Almost a self-contained sub-layout in its own right and a nice quiet corner to practice shuffling wagons about, in fact. Here is a certain well known S scale modeller (Maurice Hopper) doing just that:

post-14107-0-96560900-1383609416_thumb.jpg

The track layout on Town Quay follows the real thing quite closely, as you can see by comparing this vertical view of the the model and the 1907 edition of the Ordnance Survey 25" map of Town Quay (orientated to match).

post-14107-0-04699300-1383609501_thumb.jpg

post-14107-0-70767900-1383609536_thumb.jpg

The pink lines are the Town Quay tracks plus adjacent main line from Wadebridge station (left) to Padstow (right) in yellow. The solid orange buildings are industrial and quayside structures associated with the railway. The buildings outlined in orange are town buildings iconic to this scene.

You will note that John Greenwood has taken licence and replaced the catchpoint with a very short headshunt (into which you can squeeze a Beattie and two wagons) to make this an almost self-contained operating area. This is apparent in some of Jerry's photos as well. 

Since spending a lot of last weekend operating this 2mm version of Town Quay, I keep thinking this would make a great S scale micro-layout too!

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Looking superb! Can't wait to see it.  Do you have any further exhibition appearances lined up yet?  Need any operators???

Wadebridge makes a superb layout, in almost any scale; particularly when the level crossing and quayside sections are included.

I will be following progress with great interest, does the layoiut have its own website?

All the best, dave.T

• RMweb Gold

Looking superb! Can't wait to see it.  Do you have any further exhibition appearances lined up yet?  Need any operators???

Wadebridge makes a superb layout, in almost any scale; particularly when the level crossing and quayside sections are included.

I will be following progress with great interest, does the layoiut have its own website?

All the best, dave.T

As Count Arthur Strong would put it, John's not on the "Ilfracombe". However, I'm sure the layout can be well documented by proxy.

A good few years ago now, I helped operate John's "Bodmine" layout at quite a few shows. This ran impeccably and set me a standard for quality of operation of 2mm models to which I still aspire.

I've seen bits of Wadebridge under construction over the course of time.  It's great to see it now progressing.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Delicious modelling of a favourite prototype!

At Railex in May, I recall a respected 2mm FS modeller assuring me that there was an element of smoke-and-mirrors about working in this scale. Looking at his work then, and now this, I am convinced he was merely being modest. All modelling requires a degree of sleight of hand - but seeing these S-Scale chaps clearly enjoying the much smaller experience must tell us just how good this layout really is.

• RMweb Gold

Delicious modelling of a favourite prototype!

At Railex in May, I recall a respected 2mm FS modeller assuring me that there was an element of smoke-and-mirrors about working in this scale. Looking at his work then, and now this, I am convinced he was merely being modest. All modelling requires a degree of sleight of hand - but seeing these S-Scale chaps clearly enjoying the much smaller experience must tell us just how good this layout really is.

Thanks Ian but I still maintain there is an element of smoke and mirrors in 2mm. John's work, particularly his locos are staggeringly good and are a constant source of inspiration and certainly something for us mere mortals to aim for.  

My little signal box uses pretty everyday techniques and materials - Peco embossed stonework, Ratio embossed slates and a selection of evergreen strip.

Jerry

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I can remember inspirational aticles by John 30 years ago. He was building O2s and Beattie tanks when small motors were very hard to come by. However don't knock yourself Jerry the evidence is on here in the Bath Queensquare thread (and elsewhere) of some superb modelling.

Don

• Like 1