The North Cornwall line in 2mm Finescale

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif6-2013-11-03 13.22.09.jpg

And two suspicious-looking characters in hot debate (possibly over the relative merits of 2mm versus S scale) and NOT gettin' on wiv da shuntin'! 

These photos were all taken last weekend. Enjoy!

Many thanks for the pictures and potted history Phil. Looks to me like Maurice and I are waiting for that Padstow train to clear the section before tripping some wagons over to the goods yard. As for the relative merits of 2mm versus S........no contest really :sungum:

Jerry

• Like 2

Now here's a fun activity... sign up for 'Britain from Above' and then you can pan and zoom on 1930s photos of Wadebridge...

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw039812

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw033048

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw033049

There seem to be several businesses with their names apparently painted in white on the roofs by 1932. Was this real or was it some 1930s 'Photoshopping' by Aerofilms?

Is that a couple of Micas (or their SR equivalent) being shunted in the low angle 1930 picture?

Regards, Andy

Now here's a fun activity... sign up for 'Britain from Above' and then you can pan and zoom on 1930s photos of Wadebridge...

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw039812

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw033048

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw033049

There seem to be several businesses with their names apparently painted in white on the roofs by 1932. Was this real or was it some 1930s 'Photoshopping' by Aerofilms?

Is that a couple of Micas (or their SR equivalent) being shunted in the low angle 1930 picture?

Regards, Andy

I've seen quite a few buildings around the country that still have their names painted on the roofs; surprised they didn't have to paint them over during WW2, just in case the Luftwaffe used an old Trade Guide to navigate with..

They'd have been done during the early days of aviation, just in case the crew of a passing aircraft fancied a pint/ some pork pies/whatever else was on offer.

• Like 2

Talking about roof names.  There were a number of places where the Southern Railway painted the station name on platform awnings to help early aviators find there way around, and check that they were following the right railway line.  One such example came up on one of the first Britain from Above pictures to be posted on their website in mid 2012.  

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw001418?search=tonbridge&ref=0

Edited by Maurice Hopper

On the inspiration front, how much I agree with Don, Jerry and others.  

It is just over 9 years ago that I got back into serious railway modelling.  I had thought of 4mm RTR as there was so much stuff coming out that was good and suitable for the North Devon Line, especially the Bachmann Mogul.  

Then I spent a day operating Trevor Nunn's goods yard at East Lynn and to put it simply, the world changed.  Well, not quite, but my little part of it and my view of railway modelling did.  As Dave says, "Size (or should that be scale) isn't everything."  

It happened to be Trevor, it could have been John, Jerry or Dave, but it triggered a need to move to something more demanding and more rewarding both for me as a modeller and hopefully for those with whom we are lucky enough to be able to share our endeavours.  It is not the scale that matters but the quality that counts.

It is too late now to take on another scale, but I still have plans to put some rather more fine scale track down for my German N gauge collection which will greatly improve the look of Holtzapfel.  Time forces a compromise!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have now updated my website with exhibition dates for Tucking Mill, Highbury and Wenfordbridge/Wadebridge for 2014. I will be adding photos of Tucking Mill over the next few days and hope to find time for a number of other updates over Christmas.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

I've seen quite a few buildings around the country that still have their names painted on the roofs; surprised they didn't have to paint them over during WW2, just in case the Luftwaffe used an old Trade Guide to navigate with..

They'd have been done during the early days of aviation, just in case the crew of a passing aircraft fancied a pint/ some pork pies/whatever else was on offer.

Not just for aviators. Two long-established inns in our town (The Fountain and The Two Brewers) had names painted on the roof long before that as they can be seen from the hilltop town centre.

What a magnificent layout! Like others I had not realised that Wenford Bridge was just part of a much bigger project. Surprising that Wadebridge has not been modelled more often as a compact station that allows short mainline trains to be run. It really has just about everything.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Thank you so much for starting this thread. What a wonderful model railway, I'm really impressed by the scope, detail and integrity of the modeling here.

Agreed, thanks Jerry & Phil for posting these photos, some superb modelling on show here! 

Tom. 

Wonderful stuff - I had no idea that Wenford Bridge, which I have marvelled over several times at shows, was just one bit of a huge empire!

Yes indeed, '10800'. John Greenwood is one of those few British modellers who have embraced the concept of modelling a 'whole railway' (or as our American cousins put it, "a complete railroad you can model"). Another is Jas Millham with his erstwhile S scale exhibition layout the 'Yaxbury Branch', now permanently ensconced at home in his attic - with 'Rookfield' as a removable exhibition portion. 

In the past, modelling complete portions of railways (as opposed to stations only) was popular within the British railway modelling scene, now dominated by the smaller portable exhibition layout. A browse through the modelling magazines of the 1950s and '60s will reveal further examples. As an operator, you drive your train through a landscape from station to station on a proper and realistic journey, not popping in an out of a limited scene. Having operated both John's and Jas' layouts, and other 'basement empires' over in the States, I can attest to complete satisfaction with this this type of operation! 

What John is demonstrating here with 'Wadebridge' and 'Wenford Bridge' as contributory portions towards his overall plan, is that it is possible to combine both layout concepts by building in stages towards the larger - and I think more satisfying - home-based model railway 'empire'. Given enough space and commitment, this is perhaps a modelling approach worth revisiting.    

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 3

I couldn't agree more Phil.  It's horses for courses as always of course (one of the great things about this hobby) but I like the idea of showing the railway actually moving stuff from place to place.  This is something that Re6/6, myself and others are trying to do in P4 for Balcombe/Ouse Valley Viaduct/Lewes/Eridge. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It was interesting how many 2mm scale layouts we had at the show, I was sitting in the corner of the opposite side of the hall with a small table next to two other N gauge layouts.
Here's some of my pics taken at the Bodmin show earlier this year. The buildings were really interesting, in particular the signal boxes were nicely done :) Thanks for letting me round back to have a look!

1453389_581560161892857_2080877270_n.jpg

1385890_581560198559520_541004165_n.jpg

1459110_581560275226179_369053768_n.jpg

1422507_581560301892843_293143200_n.jpg

1425746_581560335226173_833647366_n.jpg

1391695_581560365226170_2092483445_n.jpg

1456778_581560438559496_1257855845_n.jpg

1451530_581560515226155_157494822_n.jpg

1456556_581560571892816_1130985912_n.jpg

Cheers, Reece

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

It was interesting how many 2mm scale layouts we had at the show, I was sitting in the corner of the opposite side of the hall with a small table next to two other N gauge layouts.

Here's some of my pics taken at the Bodmin show earlier this year. The buildings were really interesting, in particular the signal boxes were nicely done :) Thanks for letting me round back to have a look!

Cheers, Reece

Thanks for posting the pictures Reece. We had a really good weekend at Bodmin, make sure you come and see us at Helston in April.

I have only just found this thread and wow!  I can only echo Maurice's comment about scale, and quality. 

Wadebridge is a favorite prototype (You can tell by my avatar!).  I grew up only 15 miles from the town, but never found out about it until after it had closed. So through a model such as this I can revisit the location.  

Bizarrely, a copy of the BR(S) signal diagram for Wadebride East box came into my possession many years ago.  For a small country location, the signalling arrangement is interesting and the interlocking in particular was rather complex.  

Only just found us .........where have you been Paul, its been in my post signature for ages  :blind:  ;)  !!

We are taking it out a couple of times next year - see the list on my website.

Would be interesting to see the signal box diagram sometime - we should have working signals by the time the layout goes to Aylesbury.

Merry Christmas all, Jerry

Cheers, Reece

Reece: Thanks for the excellent additional detail photos! Judging from the images, you must have taken these on the Sunday before opening - hence the lack of stock, track-cleaning in progress, and our hung-over looks. Oh dear...  :blind:

On a small point of clarification, lest any readers think otherwise, 'Wadebridge' was the only 2mm finescale layout (1:152) at the Bodmin show. The others were N-gauge (1:148 or 1:160), of course.  

Anyway, as Jerry says, please do come and say hello to us at the Helston show in April, where 'Wadebridge' will be on display in Cornwall again: http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/7880-FalmouthandDistrictModelRailwayClub_ASpringModelRailwayShowinCornwall ('Wadebridge' not yet showing on invited layout list)

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Too absorbed in the twin worlds of 7mm and BR in the 70s!!

I trust that the ground signals will be working.......   :jester:

Ok Paul, as your 70's thread is so good with all those pictures around Bath I'll let you off  :sungum:

As for the ground signals, one of the joys of 2FS is that, like the emperors new clothes, you can tell people they work and they'll believe you because they can't see them  :jester:

have a great Christmas, Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely, when I build stuff in the larger scales its terrifying as not only do I need to know what all the widely bits are but I can't leave them off!!

Jerry

And you also get through a scary amount of material.  I scratchbuilt a 7mm scrap wagon and used several entire sheets of plasticard.

• RMweb Gold

You think it will be easier in a larger scale but you do need more detail. I thought it might be easier in 2mm then your find Missy posting on how she made a padlock for a goods shed.

I doubt I could pick up bits that small. However Jerry is right if something is too small to be seen clearly ( say by the viewer at an exhibition) the eye and brain often fill in detail that is missing. It is overscale details that shout model.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jerry,

Did you see the PM I sent before Christmas re Wadebridge East box?  Or is it a case of too many drams......  :jester:

Many apologies Paul, I have now replied. An administrative c**k up on my part........possibly related to too many drams!!

Jerry