The North Cornwall line in 2mm Finescale

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for posting that Phil. I was thrilled with the performance of the 1F, the ability to pull twenty five wagons with ease was important as it will be required to haul freights out of the arrival road in the Midland yard for sorting and to release the train engine.

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The layout is operational all year round but pictures are very difficult in the loft. We take it out twice a year and I try to get some pictures and report any progress then. It's next trip out is to Trainwest in March 2016 and I have some more buildings in the High Street, replacement of some of the mock up buildings on the quay and some much needed vans as my target.

John has some locos to finish, the terrace behind the goods sidings and more work at the east of the station. Then of course there is Padstow. John has already made the pointwork and I'm hoping to get the baseboards done over the winter...........

Jerry

Great news. Trainwest is reasonably local for me.

Indeed I will, or rather, I have now! First up is a general shot of John and Jerry behind the layout at the Hayle show, with admiring onlookers:

This is looking from the west end of Wadebridge towards Bodmin. In the foreground is Town Wharf goods yard, one of three on the layout.

And from t'other end: this is Jerry's smart little Midland 1F 0-6-0T on loan to the Southern for the day, strong-arming a 25-wagon goods towards the North Cornwall line junction past Wadebridge East Box. And very able it is too - no slipping or faltering, a very strong hauler. And it will also creep along at less than 1 mph, so will be a pleasure to shunt with at Bath Queens Square in future.

John, Jerry,

Fabulous modelling - I am very much looking forward to seeing it at TrainWest 2016.

John

• Like 1

Indeed I will, or rather, I have now! First up is a general shot of John and Jerry behind the layout at the Hayle show, with admiring onlookers:

Jerry needs to get his 'uniform' sorted out. That red/pink shirt is not nearly loud/garish/awful* enough

*delete as desired.

• RMweb Gold

Jerry needs to get his 'uniform' sorted out. That red/pink shirt is not nearly loud/garish/awful* enough

*delete as desired.

Hi Rich, I have to stay reasonably subdued when operating with John. Can you imagine the dazzle if there were two or more shirts like John's behind the layout?

• 5 months later...

I recently came across a video on YouTube of a journey in the 1960s from Padstow to Bodmin North. What intrigued me was that at Wadebridge West the Up Home bracket had a upper-quadrant arm on the RH doll (for the main platform road), but a lower-quadrant arm on the LH doll (for the loop). With one exception, I've never come across such a mix of quadrants on the same signal post before. Has anything related to this 'oddity' turned up in the research for the model perhaps?

I recently came across a video on YouTube of a journey in the 1960s from Padstow to Bodmin North. What intrigued me was that at Wadebridge West the Up Home bracket had a upper-quadrant arm on the RH doll (for the main platform road), but a lower-quadrant arm on the LH doll (for the loop). With one exception, I've never come across such a mix of quadrants on the same signal post before. Has anything related to this 'oddity' turned up in the research for the model perhaps?

YouTube link please! I searched for this, but couldn't find it.

I seem to recollect that at one period Bodmin North's home was similarly adorned and I don't think that they were the only examples at the far end of the "withered arm".

• RMweb Gold

Not quite in Cornwall, but at the LSWR gateway to it, Halwill Junction's Down to Ashwater Advanced Starter was lower quadrant, while the Up Home from Ashwater was upper quadrant, and these were on two dolls on the same post, i.e. facing both ways. Since in the final decade the track passing these signals was 109 lb flat-bottom on concrete sleepers with some cant, there really was a mix of eras!

Up until the recent re-signalling at Stirling there was, IRC, a Stevens lattice post with an upper quadrant signal, carrying a bracket with a CR lower quadrant subsidiary signal and at its base were a modern disc signal alongside which was a Stevens drop-flap ground signal.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Up until the recent re-signalling at Stirling there was, IRC, a Stevens lattice post with an upper quadrant signal, carrying a bracket with a CR lower quadrant subsidiary signal and at its base were a modern disc signal alongside which was a Stevens drop-flap ground signal.

Jim

If it's the one I'm thinking of at Stirling Middle it had gone before the resignalling - it would have been on the right side of this view and the line it had applied to was either the one immediately inside the green fence or the next one to the right (removed).  Although we are looking at what would have been the back of it in this 2003 view it had gone by then but on my first visit to Stirling in 1993 it was still there.

post-6859-0-30189100-1455575801_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I had the pleasure of being able to operate this magnificent 2mm masterpiece on Saturday at Trainwest 2016. Many thanks must go to John, Jerry, Phil and Tom for putting up with me. 

The Layout just keeps get better and better everytime you see it. 

A view of the town area, Molesworth Street level crossing and West box. 

Looking East.

Jerry and the bear??

This photo really does not do any justice as to how good John's King Arthur looks and runs. 

The quay, an interesting area to operate on its own. 

post-22850-0-40235700-1460311334_thumb.jpg

The three Beattie Well Tanks. 

post-22850-0-83014600-1460311357_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Great show, great layout, great company, great weekend!

Wadebridge is truly a fantastic layout and whilst initially daunting it's really very intuitive once you get the hang of it.

Tom. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am really looking forward to seeing this layout in the flesh now that its virtually completed. Its a location that I really would like ot model in 4mm.

Superb photos and layout.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

I am really looking forward to seeing this layout in the flesh now that its virtually completed. Its a location that I really would like ot model in 4mm.

Superb photos and layout.

Ian

Still a long way to go Ian, many parts of the layout are still only sketched in but there is more done each time it goes out. Your next chance to see it will be at Uckfield in October.

As Tom said it was a great weekend. I didn't take any pictures but Phil will be along in the next day or so with some highlighting a number of the new bits.

I did manage to get a snap of the new loco for Bath John is building for me ( I've done a lot of the buildings on Wadebridge and am currently making the baseboards for Padstow). It really is a stunning bit of work and will be finished as number 83 which recent photographic evidence suggests kept it's tender cab into the early 1920s. It was photographed on running trials at Penzance(St Ruth) as it doesn't have a chip in it yet. Unsurprisingly it purred along like a Swiss watch, the fully working motion was an absolute joy to behold

.post-1074-0-12566900-1460449622_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I was really annoyed to miss this. he layout looks great and 83 looks superb. 88 was out on the WSR/S&D gala. The reason I had to miss it was due to a recent house move and have too much to do at home. The compensation is although no views the sounds of the trains makes a nice backing to work.

Don