The North Cornwall line in 2mm Finescale

queensquare

Mark, I very much agree with your comment about getting on with it.... but experience would suggest this is not the easiest resolution to follow!

However, the quiet satisfaction to be seen when John is operating all that he has achieved is clearly an example to us all.

post-20006-0-56859700-1485348646_thumb.jpg

As I was leaving on Saturday John made mention of another appearance of the layout in its home town on the 17th June. For some reason it appears I might be the only additional operator in the west that day as all the others are heading for Jerry's show at Warminster. What a wonderful dilemma - to go to Wadebridge or Warminster.... and all for wonderful modelling.

• Like 7

Looks to have been a splendid day, something I regret not being able to attend myself.

We're there any memorable annicdotes from the ex drivers and staff you could share?

Hi Spams,

We had so many conversations with locals and heard lots of anecdotes from ex-drivers and staff last Saturday - which was exactly what we were hoping for. But it was Jerry and John who mainly talked with the former railwaymen - so I will leave that to Jerry to recount. But I do recall that at one point we had four or five ex-railway staff posed in front of the layout for a group portrait. Hopefully, Jerry can post that photo for you on this thread.

As you can imagine, one of the great rewards of displaying a prototype-based layout in its locale is the positive feedback and pleasure it gives to so many. Not just a nostalgia trip, but the good memories it invokes in local folks. This is particularly true of ex-railwaymen. I remember helping Keith Gowen with his 3mm 'Helston' layout at the Cambourne show a few years ago and the positive feedback we had from local people was tremendous. http://www.uckfieldmrc.co.uk/exhib03/helston.html

It works several ways: we bring pleasure to local people; they give us an opportunity to explain about the prototype and 2mm modelling; and local people bring us their anecdotes and new information. Last Saturday, for instance, several folks very kindly donated to John their treasured snaps taken when the line was still open. Not great photos, but it makes for good interactions and everyone was happy! The organisers also gave John some prints of the rare archive photos that were on display.

The other thing was, most people hadn't realised that nearly everything they saw on John's 'Wadebridge' layout is scratchbuilt (or "handmade", as I explained to them) - from the track, locos and rolling stock, to the scenery, structures and buildings. They were quite amazed! This is not just a collection of commercial train set items arranged to look a bit like the real Wadebridge, but the product of years of focused research and dedicated scratchbuilding, and the application of real model-making skills. Such "expertise" is not something you hear extolled much these days or see a lot of or appreciated in the wider world of 'instant gratification' anymore. I like to think this type of explanation of our hobby helps spread a positive impression of railway modelling and of modellers.  

So it's a win-win when exhibiting locally!

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

To follow on from Phil's post we had lots of stories, both railway and local environment related.

On the railway front we heard that the Beatties were used on passenger turns to Padstow and Bodmin far more regularly than photographic evidence might suggest, essentially whenever the O2s were out of action. It was also fun to hear stories of trying to get water to flow uphill at Pencarrow on the Wenford line following the introduction of the 13xx pannier tanks - you got the feeling the Beatties were missed! 

Locally I discovered from a relative  the breed of dog owned by the man who had the book/paper stall on the platform and that he had an old 1930s Ariel motorcycle which spent its days lent up against the side of the building. The latter was a private structure and when the railway closed they had to move it - it spent the next twenty odd years in the family garden as a large shed!!

Also, the owner of the orchard on Guinea Port, as modelled,  was remembered by a couple who said it was rich pickings for scrumping but that the owner kept a number of chickens amongst the trees. Dogs, bikes and chickens will all appear at some point!

post-1074-0-98313000-1485459063_thumb.jpg

I managed to grab the above picture of four of the railwaymen who attended. They are, left to right;

Johnny Ferret who started as a cleaner at Wadebridge in 1944 where he stayed, as a driver, until closure of the shed in 1965, finishing at St Blazey in 1992.

Tony Hallworth, cleaner/fireman 1960-64

Rod Thompson cleaner/fireman/passed fireman 1954-65

Mike Kendall cleaner/fireman at Wadebridge 1960-62 before moving on to Gloucester shed

In the background John, Phil and Maurice can be seen behind the layout - John's obviously had too much cake and is struggling to stop himself sinking below the backscene!

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

<p>We exhibited Treneglos, our old North Cornwall Railway layout, at Wadebridge on a couple of occasions. Not a busy or well known show but absolutely memorable for the old drivers and railway staff that spent ages telling us stories about the old days. One old driver gave us the run down on just about every loco we ran. X was a great free runner, Y was never up to much. Priceless. Wish I'd taken notes.</p>

• Like 1

In the background John, Phil and Maurice can be seen behind the layout - John's obviously had too much cake and is struggling to stop himself sinking below the backscene!

post-14107-0-18329900-1485463696_thumb.jpg

And as John crouched down, impishly peeping from behind the backscene, there were cries from us of "Kilroy!" (An American popular culture expression during World War II, typically seen in graffiti.)  :mosking:

Edited by Phil Copleston

we heard that the Beatties were used on passenger turns to Padstow and Bodmin far more regularly than photographic evidence might suggest, 

I misread that and was wondering why John, Paul, George and Ringo were regular users of trains in Cornwall. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Any points for spotting the quay, buildout for the turntable and the gap for the bridge across Little Petherick Creek?

Looks like the tide is out...

Spot on Chris,

Before dropping John off at Westbury station for his run back to Cornwall we took a few snaps of the boards with the track plan led on top. If you zoom in you can just about pick out what's going on - apologies for it being a little pale - it's a very early version of templot!!

These four boards replace the small sector plate fiddle yard by the Quay sidings on Wadebridge and, when up and running, will make this wonderful layout even more fun to play with. John has already built most of the points and crossings and is currently making the point motors. I am looking for drawings of the Padstow buildings - anyone able to help?

post-1074-0-99867800-1502889210_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-13471300-1502889241_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

How much compression have you had to use on Padstow station Track layout Jerry?

I'm not exactly sure as John drew up the plans, I just made the boards. No sidings have been lost but the overall length has been considerably shortened. That said, I think the main platform is still pretty much full length.

To give you an idea, the overall footprint of the extension is basically 8'x4', three 4'x2' boards and a roughly 3'x2' board.

jerry 

Spot on Chris,

Before dropping John off at Westbury station for his run back to Cornwall we took a few snaps of the boards with the track plan led on top. If you zoom in you can just about pick out what's going on - apologies for it being a little pale - it's a very early version of templot!!

These four boards replace the small sector plate fiddle yard by the Quay sidings on Wadebridge and, when up and running, will make this wonderful layout even more fun to play with. John has already built most of the points and crossings and is currently making the point motors. I am looking for drawings of the Padstow buildings - anyone able to help?

attachicon.gifIMG_1431.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1432.JPG

Jerry

I believe the goods shed drawing is in the Illustrated History of the North Cornwall Railway.  When I was building my 4 mm Padstow station building I used a drawing of Camelford  from the same book but redrew it with reversed location for the waiting room end.  Also the area for the Padstow restroom area is different and larger than other NCR stations of this type.. My effort is now 7-8 years old but if you look at my RMWEB thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28665-end-of-the-line-padstow/ you might see some ideas. I understand there may be more drawings available on the LSWR Circle but am not a member as I do not live in the UK so paying for membership is difficult last time I checked.

• RMweb Gold

I believe the goods shed drawing is in the Illustrated History of the North Cornwall Railway.  When I was building my 4 mm Padstow station building I used a drawing of Camelford  from the same book but redrew it with reversed location for the waiting room end.  Also the area for the Padstow restroom area is different and larger than other NCR stations of this type.. My effort is now 7-8 years old but if you look at my RMWEB thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28665-end-of-the-line-padstow/ you might see some ideas. I understand there may be more drawings available on the LSWR Circle but am not a member as I do not live in the UK so paying for membership is difficult last time I checked.

I think Chris is fairly familiar with that splendid volume, the enhanced version of which credits him with much of the fresh input. It is indeed little less than a bible for those of us interested in aspects of the line. As for the 2mmFS community, they never cease to astound me. John Greenwood is such an unassuming man, yet this layout is astonishing in its concept and detail - and I can attest that it really works. And Jerry notes John is making his own point motors......

• RMweb Premium

I think Chris is fairly familiar with that splendid volume, the enhanced version of which credits him with much of the fresh input. It is indeed little less than a bible for those of us interested in aspects of the line. As for the 2mmFS community, they never cease to astound me. John Greenwood is such an unassuming man, yet this layout is astonishing in its concept and detail - and I can attest that it really works. And Jerry notes John is making his own point motors......

Thanks for the first bit Ian. Agree to the second.