The North Cornwall line in 2mm Finescale

queensquare

• RMweb Premium

Last weekend John, Phil and I took Padstow, the latest and final section of the North Cornwall system to the Helston show.

Jerry

Jerry, Thanks for posting the photos of Padstow.

I'm intrigued by the supporting leg system, which appears extremely light! Is it rigid, and do I detect some sort of tensioning wires in its construction?

Regards,

David

Edited by Kylestrome

• RMweb Premium

That is looking fantastic. Shame that your attendance was not advertised at the show, I would have attended just to have seen this. 

• RMweb Gold

A promising start Jerry and with a squint I can almost see the finished article. There's always something about introducing a bridge that appeals to me, especially seeing the locos passing over the one above. I do like the Prarie ( but then I would wouldn't I ! ).

Not too sure about the alien space craft with the long legs in the 6th and 7th photos though ? :))

G

Its a very rough mock up of the water tower which is very tall and spindly. This area has been severely compressed so it was a case of making some rough models to see what would look right in the available space.

Jerry, Thanks for posting the photos of Padstow.

I'm intrigued by the supporting leg system, which appears extremely light! Is it rigid, and do I detect some sort of tensioning wires in its construction?

Regards,

David

The legs are extremely strong and rigid and take all of about 20 seconds to erect! there are indeed tensioning wires. The whole thing is hinged in the middle and unfolds like an upside down truss girder bridge. Wadebridge has a similar set of legs, I will photograph them properly next time we put a section of the layout up.  

That is looking fantastic. Shame that your attendance was not advertised at the show, I would have attended just to have seen this. 

we were down as a demo so the club left it to us what we brought.

Jerry

• Like 1

Jerry beat me to it in posting photos of 'Padstow' at the Helston show last weekend! Sure, it has been a while since we last posted photos of John's 'North Cornwall Line in 2mm Scale', mainly because it has not been to any shows recently - apart from John showing the 'St Blazey Roundhouse' portion at the Cambourne show last November.

Anyway, here is my selection of photos from a super weekend together. Needless to say, the layout - on its very first outing - ran faultlessly. Just the scenery now to complete...

post-14107-0-92534300-1524609328_thumb.jpg

post-14107-0-66958800-1524609351_thumb.jpg

post-14107-0-29952900-1524609374_thumb.jpg

The real Padstow station from a similar angle, albeit in pre-grouping days. John's target period is about 1937-47...

post-14107-0-88460400-1524614472_thumb.jpg

post-14107-0-65319400-1524609394_thumb.jpg

Jerry snapping away...

post-14107-0-62251200-1524609413_thumb.jpg

This eventually will be quite a modelled landscape spectacle as seen above: trains will depart Padstow station, slink through the curved station throat, rumble through the Iron Bridge, then re-appear on the other side of Little Petherick Creek / Camel Estuary passing in the other direction, before finally disappearing towards Wadebridge. Between the front and the back of this portion of the layout you will be looking across open water. Quite magnificent!

And now, to help orientate yourself, here is a out-take from John's 'masterplan' for the Padstow end of the layout...

post-14107-0-61682900-1524609504_thumb.jpg

John proposes a plain 'sky' view-blocker to obscure direct views towards the end of Wadebridge Town Quay (here, opposite Padstow). But most of the rest of the rear of this scene will have a conventional back drop - trains simply emerging through a gap between the two. As it transpires, the short 12" baseboard extension at the buffer-stop end of Padstow shown on the plan may now not get added.

And the whole thing together (just to remind you)...

post-14107-0-69799000-1524609561_thumb.jpg

post-14107-0-85626400-1524609584_thumb.jpg

Where John is sitting may be the best position from which to operate this end of the layout, as apart from being out of the way and getting the best views (!), it's also a good place to chat to visitors and explain things to them. Quite a cushy spot!

post-14107-0-77840600-1524609609_thumb.jpg

post-14107-0-03785000-1524609637_thumb.jpg

Above and below: The iconic 'Iron Bridge' over Little Petherick Creek. John has caught the character of this location down to a "T".

post-14107-0-35422200-1524609661_thumb.jpg

This is the real Iron Bridge for comparison...

post-14107-0-66286400-1524612500_thumb.jpeg

Jerry, still snapping away (on right)...

post-14107-0-73048300-1524609693_thumb.jpg

This is what John is attempting to depict: Padstow station and its environs, seen here in July 1930 from roughly the same angle but higher orientation...

post-14107-0-87265800-1524613303_thumb.jpg

And finally...

post-14107-0-74190600-1524609720_thumb.jpg

Comparing photos: Edna and John Greedwood with Jerry and Kim Clifford following a photo shoot. Obviously, I'm on the other side of the layout still taking photos. And that was it - a lovely sunny weekend away with the best of friends. And the layout weren't 'arf bad too! Thanks John for inviting me.

A DATE FOR YOUR DIARY: If you want to see the whole of John Greenwood's 'Bodmin & Wenford/North Cornwall Railway' (yes, ALL of it, as on the masterplan - that's Bodmin North-Wadebridge-Padstow, plus the Wenford Bridge Branch), make a note of these dates: Railwells, 11-12th August 2018 http://railwells.com/railway-show/railwells-show-2018/. Railwells 2018 is shaping up to be the 2mm event of the year NOT to be missed!

See you there.

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
A DATE FOR YOUR DIARY: If you want to see the whole of John Greenwood's 'Bodmin & Wenford/North Cornwall Railway' (yes, ALL of it, as on the masterplan - that's Bodmin North-Wadebridge-Padstow, plus the Wenford Bridge Branch), make a note of these dates: Railwells, 11-12th August 2018 http://railwells.com/railway-show/railwells-show-2018/. Railwells 2018 is shaping up to be the 2mm event of the year NOT to be missed!

See you there.

Hmm, I'll be in Sussex for my daughter's wedding on the 11th. Will I be in any fit state to drive over to Wells on the Sunday? We shall see...

I always applaud any display of this marvelous 2 mm depiction of Wadebridge, Wenford and Padstow as they are my ideals of what I would achieve in a 4mm version if I had the space, time and money.  I have modeled a fragment and found the research and involvement in trying to re-create even the fragment have been a fascinating enterprise.  

...if I had the space, time and money.  

Indeed. "Space time and money" are often the bug-bear that seemingly frustrates us in achieving our goals.

But for John Greenwood, as I see it, he has overcome these perceived obstacles by a) adopting a smaller scale best suited to accommodate his ambitions in the space available (a loft), b) committing to a long-term modelling project (decades) so that time is less critical (he is also now retired, but not at the start), and c) he makes much of it himself (scratchbuilding) which dramatically keeps down costs while up-ing the satisfaction levels. There are good lessons there for us lesser mortals!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Indeed. "Space time and money" are often the bug-bear that seemingly frustrates us in achieving our goals.

But for John Greenwood, as I see it, he has overcome these perceived obstacles by a) adopting a smaller scale best suited to accommodate his ambitions in the space available (a loft), b) committing to a long-term modelling project (decades) so that time is less critical (he is also now retired, but not at the start), and c) he makes much of it himself (scratchbuilding) which dramatically keeps down costs while up-ing the satisfaction levels. There are good lessons there for us lesser mortals!

I would agree with you that that the focus on a long term goal has been a major factor. 

Don 

• RMweb Gold

See you there.

A date etched into the diary! Not missing the chance to see the whole layout!

Tom.  

• Like 2

A date etched into the diary! Not missing the chance to see the whole layout!

Tom.  

Yes Tom, as one of the regular 'Wadebridge' team you get to play with all of it over that weekend too. Look forward to catching up with you there. Should be a truly memorable event in the hobby (not just for 2mm aficionados) - can't wait!

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A bump to remind people that this will be at RailWells (sadly I can’t make it).

Also picking up on this:

I would agree with you that that the focus on a long term goal has been a major factor. 

Don

Although he didn’t adopt a smaller scale, the long-term commitment and doing it yourself are also core attributes of Trevor Nunn’s success with East Lynn, etc, and of course, the late Rev. Peter Denny with Buckingham

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Don't miss this rather special model railway event. We expect that many 2mm scale aficionados and others will be travelling some distance to see this exceptional layout system. John's layout will occupy most of the ground floor entrance foyer. We look forward to entertaining and seeing you there!

I hope to be there on the Sunday, if I can get up early enough after my daughter's wedding in Sussex the day before. If I do make it, I'll come and say hello.

• Like 1

Ohhhh! Decisions decisions. Do I go 25 miles to an area group meeting in Edinburgh, or 450+ miles to Wells? :-/

All the best for the show, guys.

Jim

The decision is obvious, Jim... your hand-held Wadebridge controller awaits you! :pardon:

Edited by Phil Copleston

Ohhhh! Decisions decisions. Do I go 25 miles to an area group meeting in Edinburgh, or 450+ miles to Wells? :-/

All the best for the show, guys.

Jim

You can do both Jim ... area meeting for the faithful on Saturday, Wells show on Sunday. You retired lads have all that free time to fill up :-;

Graham

• Like 1

Don't travel with Jim, he'd take the Cambridge to Norwich via Keswick train...... Its definitely a lot under 400 miles from the Scottish Borders to Wells. 360-odd in my case.

But we're c70 miles from the border.

Jim ( currently in Birmingham)

• Like 2

You can do both Jim ... area meeting for the faithful on Saturday, Wells show on Sunday. You retired lads have all that free time to fill up :-;

Graham

Aye, right! When you're retired and have grandchildren you have no time to yourself!

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim

• RMweb Gold

But we're c70 miles from the border.

Jim ( currently in Birmingham)

One end of the border is roughly 70 miles further from Wells than the other end, so if you choose the correct end, you could still be 70 miles closer... ;)