progression of 3D modeling

after searching for countless models online i can't really find what i am looking for and then I thought why not just ask for base models to be 3D printed and have a thread so people can request 3D print models for their layouts.

What I am after is modern bridge supports in OO that are 4 inches high. similar to this:

20111223-kjans-Concrete-Bridge-Substruct

That has to be one of the easiest things to draw on sketchup!

Best thing to do is to have a go at it, as if you could do them it would cost you a lot less than if someone else were to do them for you.

Alistair

Agreed, that's what modelling is all about - give it a go, this 3d lark is catching.....!

Regards

Richard.

I echo what other people say,   download one of the free packages and try it.  Sketchup is the most widely used,  I personally use freecad.   There are lots of good tutorials on youtube.

Took me about 20 minutes do to a mock up,  To get it printed in white strong flexible plastic in shapeways in 9.10 euros + shipping and handling costs.

post-13823-0-51247100-1383331778_thumb.png

:D

We choose to computer model and 3D print. We choose computer model and 3D print in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organise and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

:D

We choose to computer model and 3D print. We choose computer model and 3D print in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organise and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

I hear what you say - and understand where you are coming from - but it seems to me that if something is simple and can be made easily, and cheaply, at home, the time and money it will cost to draw it up, and have it 3d-printed. (and the waiting time) could be better spent on something else - but then I'm here in Scotland, and we're notoriously tight!

I think if its simple stuff I totally agree with you Jack but the level of detail you can get in to a model where you are good at CAD but not so good at modelling, as I am :) is a big pull well for me anyway. As it becomes more wide spread home printing will become more accessible and open up the possibilities to pretty much make anything either personally or via local club(s)

Just a new way of doing things...

Anyway back to bridge supports.

I agree that 3d printing is most useful for really complex designs that would be hard to make by hand.  However, to get the CAD skills to draw something like that you need to get used to drawing simple things first.  While it might not be the easiest or fastest way to make a simple pillar, the skills gained can pay for themselves down the line.

It is well worth keeping and going, and giving it a go though. The bridge support is a good example... draw one bridge support, and you've drawn it and only need to print it out again to build a larger bridge... before you know it, you'll have Barmouth Bridge ready to go.....!

Regards

Richard.

Starting simple is the best way to do anything, learn the basic skills like the pylon, and what goes into that, and you can start working on more complicated things, that's how I've done my 3d stuff. Started with very simple things, and have steadily been working on designing and printing more complicated things. To my mind, it's no different than any other part of the hobby, you start simple and build skills to do more complicated things and to achieve more.

Starting simple is the best way to do anything, learn the basic skills like the pylon, and what goes into that, and you can start working on more complicated things, that's how I've done my 3d stuff. Started with very simple things, and have steadily been working on designing and printing more complicated things. To my mind, it's no different than any other part of the hobby, you start simple and build skills to do more complicated things and to achieve more.

Well said Sir!

I started with a simple platform for the game trainz:

Jd1sKDh.jpg

And that was the only thing I was able to make at that time.

The next thing, around 2 years later, I heard about Shapeways and 3d printing.

So i took me a few months before i was able to make something that was 3d printable.

a dwarf signal:

674x501_18983_87591_1338413385.jpg

The model is actually quite simple (i have a real dwarf signal at home which makes stuff easier too), you start simple and add layers of details on the fly.

The more you do this, the more experience you will get.

For me it took "a few" trains before I got to the point where I am right now (picture is 2 years old):

5448519386_853e8e5a70_z.jpg

And eventually you will start updating your old designs, both made from scratch took around 8 hours:

(old and new, sorry it's in dutch :) )

6864272899_24f2513f89_z.jpg

And now I create this in just a few hours:

GFWpoq3.jpg

while this took me double the time:

N2NkfBB.jpg

Edit: bonus picture:

5743387176_64ee35cee6_z.jpg

Enjoy making 3D designs! :sungum:

I can guarantee that your first own 3D print will feel like christmas!

Mitchell

• 1 year later...

Archived