Rapido Trains UK Release

Guest CPRAIL3000

• RMweb Premium

Ah, but remember, railway modelling isn't supposed to be fun. I was once actually told to stop referring to railway modelling as fun - by a prominent figure in the hobby, too!

CHRIS LEIGH

Actually, it's model railroading that's fun

(below the title of Model Railroader magazine when Al Kalmbach owned it.)

liking the way Rapido have marketed this first model using the original BR typeface/fonts and plenty of BR Blue splashed about.

bodes well for future models in the same vein ie;BR diesel/electric.

maybe jason can mull over the NRM class 87 once the dust has settled on APTE.......

It ran on normal Diesel fuel. Turbines can run on pretty much any fuel, only in aviation are they particular what goes in them.

And even then it isn't a lot different. I had a friend who ran his diesel car on the fuel drained out of aircraft tanks when they went in for major maintenance.

Adrian

And even then it isn't a lot different. I had a friend who ran his diesel car on the fuel drained out of aircraft tanks when they went in for major maintenance.

Adrian

Jet fuel is compositionally very similar to ordinary diesel. The main difference is that jet fuel is much higher quality, for obvious safety reasons.

Interestingly, if a batch of jet fuel fails its quality control tests, it's sold off to other users who don't need such high levels of purity. Those other users often include railways.

Ah, but remember, railway modelling isn't supposed to be fun. I was once actually told to stop referring to railway modelling as fun - by a prominent figure in the hobby, too!

CHRIS LEIGH

We get a lot of emails from people who clearly aren't having a good time.  It's sad, really.

If my hobby ever stopped being fun, I would find a new hobby.  Sure, there are times when it's hard to get over a hump in layout construction or in a scratchbuilding project, but overall it's still my favourite thing to be doing.

My long term plan, if I live long enough, is to get the HO Kingston Sub layout near to completion in about 25 years -  http://www.kingstonsub.com - and then build a 1/8 scale TurboTrain with real gas turbines.

I admit I may never get to that one, though...

-Jason

Jet fuel is compositionally very similar to ordinary diesel. The main difference is that jet fuel is much higher quality, for obvious safety reasons.

Interestingly, if a batch of jet fuel fails its quality control tests, it's sold off to other users who don't need such high levels of purity. Those other users often include railways.

The TurboTrain was fuelled by standard diesel. 

-Jason

• RMweb Gold

I'd love a Turbo Train, but it appears I've missed the boat. Any plans for a re-run, Jason? All the ebay sellers seem to have are 3 car sets and no intermediate carriages..

I'm not missing the boat on the APT-E. Already pre-ordered.. Growing up in the 70s it was an icon for me too!

Archived