Rapido Trains UK Release

Guest CPRAIL3000

• RMweb Gold

Thinking about what is at the heritage centre i have narrowed it down to either a class 40 cab on the back of an artic trailer with full working lights and fully stocked shop with working till

OR

A Royal mail brute pulling gurney, again full dcc, working indicators, genuine air filled pneumatic tyres and anamatronic "postie" with working cigarette

The location I would say is a red herring. Crewe Heritage Centre = Calder Northern NMRA group's home = one member being a good personal friend of Jason. A fair number of the group also model Canadian prototypes. That's why the presentation is there.

Loads of frothing going on here and with the Canadian modeller's Yahoo list. One thing I can pretty much guarantee is Jason won't be revealing the project @ Crewe. Really P*ssed that I can't get up there next Wed though.

What about the abortive "Nightstar"(IIRC?) sleeper train - didn't the stock end up in Canada?

I don't see much of a market for an OO model given that it was never used in the UK.

As for Canada, it is now known as "Renaissance" equipment and a VIA Rail model would need to be made to the smaller HO standard.  However, Jason has in the past indicated it is unlikely he would ever make a model of the Renaissance equipment given its limited appeal (limited use in Canada on 2 minor trains) and the amount of variations in the equipment.

Jason has posted more info about his UK visit in the newest newsletter.  For those who want to try and figure out what they are going to make this is where he will be:

Heathrow -> London -> Durham -> Crewe -> Cardiff -> Crewe -> Birmingham -> Manchester -> Crewe -> Birmingham -> York -> Birmingham -> London -> Heathrow.

Some of the stops may be because he will be travelling by train, and in addition to his show at Crewe he will be at the Warley Show on Sunday 24th November.

And there are 2 captioned pictures in the newsletter that may be a hint, or may be intended to mislead...

http://www.rapidotrains.com/rapidonewscurrent.html

I like the bit about the FP4's in the newsletter

"I am sure there will still be some diehards (blowhards?) out there who will look at your Rapido FPA-4 fleet basking on your layout and tell you the nose or the roof profile is wrong. It will give you great pleasure to be able to tell them, with complete confidence, that they can go jump in a lake."

Customer relations at its very best ;)

Jason has posted more info about his UK visit in the newest newsletter.  For those who want to try and figure out what they are going to make this is where he will be:

Heathrow -> London -> Durham -> Crewe -> Cardiff -> Crewe -> Birmingham -> Manchester -> Crewe -> Birmingham -> York -> Birmingham -> London -> Heathrow.

Some of the stops may be because he will be travelling by train, and in addition to his show at Crewe he will be at the Warley Show on Sunday 24th November.

Something currently at York, but with a Birmingham connection....

The Maglev...?

• RMweb Gold

Yep, it was a very interesting afternoon....and Jason did also mention that he had spent some time in the cab of the APT....great guy.

Well worth the trip there and back on SouthEastern HighSpeed and Virgin Pendolino.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Just received the two latest Rapido limited edition VIA Rail passenger cars. The dining car has an exploded diagram with all the individual parts shown. It would be worth Rapido's while to post it on here (I won't do so because of copyright considerations). It would. perhaps, demonstrate to those with a mind to complain about Hornby etc, why sophisticated model railway assembly jobs can't be set up overnight in new factories. Granted Rapido's assembly is rather more complicated than Hornby or Bachmann but those companies (and others) are all heading down the same road of ever more sophisticated assembly. I couldn't see how Rapido could claim there were 400 parts in a passenger car. Having seen that diagram, I understand perfectly how there can be 400 parts - and I can understand why your average Chinese (or anywhere else) manufacturing plant might not want the job.

There are, for instance, 10 parts in each corridor connection and (at a rough count) 40 parts to the interior (which is usually a one-piece moulding in British coaches).

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived