• RMweb Gold

Painting the Parkside Dundas Horsebox. Have a dirty grey roof, what colours are the roof ventilators? Looked at example in RM Dec 2010, but, cant really see them. Will they be the same colour as roof?

I painted my Hornby version in the colour roof dirt from Railmatch.Rooves were never white in steam days.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob, all my wagon roofs start out light grey and are then weathered with dirty grey streaks. I was asking about the colour of the ventilators, are they the same colour as the roof, or dependant on oil or gas lighting, will they be darker

I'd say so but look at this photo find shewing a white roof around 1930.Proved wrong again.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrls159.htm

I'd say so but look at this photo find shewing a white roof around 1930.Proved wrong again.

There was some discussion of this on the GWR egroup a few years ago. The consensus was that, roofs were painted using White Lead, so they would very quickly weather to gray---it reacts with atmospheric pollution (sulphur from coal fires IIRC), it's not dirt. Given painting frequencies about 5-10% would be "new" enough to be white. There was some discussion about the GWR briefly using a non-fading white for a period in the 1930s, but no clear conclusion was reached.

Mark

The ventilators will be the same colour as the roof (especially since you've gone for grey). I had come to the conclusion that pictures usually show little difference until I saw the picture on p57 of GWRJ #81 which has a pretty good view of the top of an N12 because it has two wheels on the bay platform due to some over enthusiastic and careless shunting. Here the ventilators appear to be darker around the cylindrical portion. The sun is behind the photographer so it's not shadow and therefore I guess that they darkened more quickly because they do not get washed by the falling rain. 

Instances that I have seen or read of where parts of roofs were not white include destination board brackets and a strip at the end of the roof on some vehicles during the 1912-1920 lake phase and an assortment of vehicles that were painted brown (body colour) up to the lower roof strip during earlier years.

Yerbutt....

The horsebox roof is exactly the same tone, in the photo, as the loco firebox and boiler tops. Does this mean that GWR painted the tops of their locos white?

Edited by billbedford

Yerbutt....

The horsebox roof is exactly the same tone, in the photo, as the loco firebox and boiler tops. Does this mean that GWR painted the tops of their locos white?

Of course. :P Well the person developing the photograph did. Prolonging the time so that more of the detail is visible in what would otherwise be dark areas (e.g. below the footplate) is common.

Edited by richbrummitt

• 6 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I always thought the Hornby was an N16.

You are correct, it's Rail's who are listing it as a N13.

N13 (and earlier) horseboxes have tumble-home ends. N16s are straight down.

It was a modification I did to backdate a Tri-ang horse box many years ago. For the fifties, it's not a bad model of a GWR N16 horsebox.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

N13 (and earlier) horseboxes have tumble-home ends. N16s are straight down.

It was a modification I did to backdate a Tri-ang horse box many years ago. For the fifties, it's not a bad model of a GWR N16 horsebox.

The other big difference is that N16 have the vacuum cylinder on the opposite side to all the earlier diagrams. It took me a while to spot when I was developing a chassis etch for the N gauge Lima body. Eventually I made another version in the other handing so that I could backdate the bodies I had. 

• Informative/Useful 1