Class 42/43 Warship Disc Headcode

chris newman

Only the first three (D800-802), I believe. These three were also lower powered than the rest but would have been included in class 42, in spite of their differences from the rest. However all three were withdrawn in 1968, so that point is rather academic anyway!  :)

They were all modified with four-character headcodes well before that so your timescale for using the disc headcodes is limited (if you want accuracy).

I stand corrected! :)

Hi SR,

that's the beauty of groups like this, everybody pooling their their resources and information the truth will come to light and we can learn a lot from it!! in the short time I've been on RM WEB I've found that what I thought was correct about DMU's in the SW was about 80% wrong!! but I now have links to information that I never knew before so I a very happy chap.

Here's D812 in 1962 with original discs, to demonstrate me learned friend's point:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/4311871726/

Hi chard,

thanks for posting that excellent picture, interesting to note that between the two lower discs is a recessed panel--Do you know what it is/was, as it looks too small for the four character headcode box, although it's in the right place??

regds

chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi chard,

thanks for posting that excellent picture, interesting to note that between the two lower discs is a recessed panel--Do you know what it is/was, as it looks too small for the four character headcode box, although it's in the right place??

regds

chris

It's a 3 character stencil/number holder!  ie the 3 number type that the Western used mostly on summer saturdays. 

http://g3w1.com/gwr_train_description.htm

It's a 3 character stencil/number holder!  ie the 3 number type that the Western used mostly on summer saturdays. 

Hi Metr0Land,

Ok that figures, Seen them on GWR steam loco's just not seen them on Diesels. And an excellent link that gives some explanation to what I've seen in other photo's.

regds

chris

• RMweb Gold

Here is D803 still with discs in 1964, and no yellow panels either.  The discs are being used to show the SR headcode for Waterloo-West of England:

3152056992_94c3a96c3a.jpg

D803_Woking by robertcwp, on Flickr

The other disc ones all gained yellow panels before losing the discs, such as:

3034088809_9c41178233.jpg

D805_BTM_Pad-WSM_June-63 by robertcwp, on Flickr

Robert,

thanks for those two pic's  and again saved to favourites, just goes to show how long disc's lasted!!

regds

chris

Chris

I am afraid that the portfolio of diesel hydraulic photos on the web-site is rather small.  Frankly, neither my father nor I cared for these machines very much!  There is a handful more to come, including Warships on the Royal Duchy and Cornish Riviera, both showing discs and in the latter case the use of the three figure display, however, most of these are very loosely dated to the 1958-60 time frame and I haven't had time to edit out the damage of the ages yet.  You might keep an eye on the website because I will get round to them eventually!  You will also see, on the web-site a much better B&W shot of a D600 using discs than the one linked by Metr0land:  at least, I prefer it.

Richard

Chris

I am afraid that the portfolio of diesel hydraulic photos on the web-site is rather small.  Frankly, neither my father nor I cared for these machines very much!  There is a handful more to come, including Warships on the Royal Duchy and Cornish Riviera, both showing discs and in the latter case the use of the three figure display, however, most of these are very loosely dated to the 1958-60 time frame and I haven't had time to edit out the damage of the ages yet.  You might keep an eye on the website because I will get round to them eventually!  You will also see, on the web-site a much better B&W shot of a D600 using discs than the one linked by Metr0land:  at least, I prefer it.

Richard

Hi Richard,

The more pictures the better-primarily because I never saw these loco's in service.

regds

chris

• RMweb Premium

Hi MetrOland

Thanks for the link that is great information.

And for good measure a D600 series Warship with headcode in use

http://froxfield2012.smugmug.com/BRWesternRegion/Diesel-Hydraulics/i-5fH5B4D

After the 4 figure headcodes where introduced the Warships fitted with the three character stencil frame displayed the train class (first figure of the headcode) using the old steam style disc and the remaining three figures in the stencil frame as in this photo.

Edit Whoops should read all the post in a thread, Chris has already mentioned the use following the introduction of the four figure headcodes.

In O gauge check out Tower models web site. Oh and available to order through any Heljan stockist contrary to what they make it sound like.

Although I really hope they don't do a LTD run of all over maroon with no yellow ends.

Might as well do it BR black. At least one has been painted that colour all be it in preservation.

Archived