Squires Tools

ELTEL

• RMweb Premium

Just tried to access the Squires website without success.

I am aware and have bought items at shows, but pre Warley I put a shopping list together using the online print of the last catalogue to prompt my memory.

Has the website address been changed.

Regards

Eltel

• RMweb Premium

I emailed Squires enquiring about an order which I would collect at the recent Hazel Grove exhibhition. Never got a reply to my email. Asked at the Squires stand at the show about my order, got the reply 'don't know anything about it, I only do the shows'. Very poor.

However, after some internet searches, I got everything I wanted, plus lots of helpful advice from Railroom Electonics. I hadn't heard of them before, but very happy with the service.

• RMweb Premium

I emailed Squires enquiring about an order which I would collect at the recent Hazel Grove exhibhition. Never got a reply to my email. Asked at the Squires stand at the show about my order, got the reply 'don't know anything about it, I only do the shows'. Very poor.

However, after some internet searches, I got everything I wanted, plus lots of helpful advice from Railroom Electonics. I hadn't heard of them before, but very happy with the service.

Hi Colin

Yes I have used Railroom Electronics

They take a stand at our Stafford Exhibition a great range of products

Eltel

Squires were at the Wycombe show this weekend past and were as helpful as ever. Very courteous and friendly. Purchased all I required and the order form in the brown paper bag indicates that they still are in business at the London Road shop in Bognor Regis and email sales_at_squirestools.com (not secure for credit card payment details)

Website seems to be functioning ok

Thanks sdw7300, for the typo correction :fie:

Edited by Kenton

I actually visited the shop today to get some bits. They are still in the same place but the retail part is now towards the front, with the rear of the shop used for stock storage.

The bits I couldn't find were quickly fetched by a very helpful sales lady although they do seem to have supply problems with some lines. Also their stocks of Amarati and other 'boaty' stuff are very low and possibly not going to be stocked in future.

The catalogue available was still the 2012 one.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Anybody tried the website recently?

Every time I have tried in the last couple of months it says it is down for maintenance.

This can sometimes mean a trader has ceased trading but they have booked a place at Warley

They won't do much trade if the site is always down.

Keith

They posted on their Facebook page on October 14 that they were "still working on the website". Guess it is taking a while. 

They had a good range of stuff at the Aberdeen show a few weeks ago though.

We're very much alive at the Leeds show and are expected at Wakefield end of the month. I was told they are working on a new catalogue - which must be a mammoth task

A week or so ago I bought some electronic stuff from Squires over the phone and it arrived promptly.

But I'm worried about their web site being down. Hindsight I know but I would have set up and tested the new catalogue before taking down the previous one.

Ian

Edited by clecklewyke

Wouldn't be too difficult to put the catalogue pages up in PDF format and list the shows they will be at. I know they have Facebook and twitter but not everyone follows these. Just in this day and age "site under construction" is worse than no site. Don't mean this to sound negative but its the reality.

Wouldn't be too difficult to put the catalogue pages up in PDF format and list the shows they will be at. 

That's exactly how the old web site was organised. But it will be a massive task to update the catalogue - it's hundreds of pages long and very complex. Why did they take the old catalogue down?

Ian

IIRC the website mainly gave access to downloading a copy of sections of the catalogue, I have several on file. If the catalogue needed updating - especially the prices and a mammoth task anyway - then it may be no surprise that it is "down for maintenance".

Closing on Saturdays may result from their restructuring some time ago when the business was split, the craft side being taken away to be run be Roger's (former?) wife. That may have left them short of staff and with a need to attend shows to support the business means that Saturday opening isn't practical. They presumably have to take the stock with them to a show anyway.

It is notable that most other well known suppliers (e.g. Eileens, C&L, Alan Gibson Workshop, Hobby Holidays, SEF, etc.) don't operate from a shop, but from a warehouse/factory. While personal visitors may be welcome, they don't represent the main sales/distribution activity.

• RMweb Gold

IIRC the website mainly gave access to downloading a copy of sections of the catalogue, I have several on file. If the catalogue needed updating - especially the prices and a mammoth task anyway - then it may be no surprise that it is "down for maintenance".

Closing on Saturdays may result from their restructuring some time ago when the business was split, the craft side being taken away to be run be Roger's (former?) wife. That may have left them short of staff and with a need to attend shows to support the business means that Saturday opening isn't practical. They presumably have to take the stock with them to a show anyway.

It is notable that most other well known suppliers (e.g. Eileens, C&L, Alan Gibson Workshop, Hobby Holidays, SEF, etc.) don't operate from a shop, but from a warehouse/factory. While personal visitors may be welcome, they don't represent the main sales/distribution activity.

Yes they were gonig ot move to a different location at first with just a trade window but hten that changed ot staying in the shop but only opening weekdays. The shop is apparently being extended and they had plans to open Saturdays but that seems to have gone quiet.

As they often do more than one show at the weekends staffing is highly likely to be the reason.

Luckily we are often at a show they attend. Just handy when we were down there I could stock up on items and have bit of a browse as it was superb.

When I tried to look up their website a little while ago, my Bullguard antivirus blocked it as a hazardous site that could damage your computer. When I asked about that at a recent show i was told that the site had been hacked/infected with virus and that they had closed it down until they could sort out the problem. Some older JAVA scripts on websites could be used to hide potential viruses as I had the very same problem on a site I run a little way while ago. The only way I could deal with it was shut down all the pages with the offending code and try and re-write new pages that would be more secure from virus threats. Whether this is still the case I don't know, but it can take some time to get a working and more secure site up and running.

• 10 months later...

On another forum, a rather neat miniature socket and plug has been reviewed.  It is supposed to be available through Squire Tools and a web link is given.  Said link takes one to a page that says the web site is under construction.  Noting that the same message appears to have been seen almost a year ago, one has to wonder what is going on.

It's nice to have Squires back on line again but I'm a little disappointed that it's not offering an online shop facility rather than the old pdf pages. But something is better than nothing so 4 out of 5 stars from me. Yeah!!!

• RMweb Premium

On another forum, a rather neat miniature socket and plug has been reviewed.

Don't be such a tease. How neat how useful might it be for the rest of us?

This link should take you to the page on MRE where it's been reviewed by Phil Parker

http://www.mremag.com/index.php/reviews/20-electronics/404-subminplugsandsockets