Newt-work Rail!

Ramblin Rich

• RMweb Gold

On BBC spotlight tonight - NR have set up extensive fencing & traps in the area around Whiteball tunnel (between Exeter & Taunton) in order to safety trap & remove Great Crested Newts in the area, before carrying out track work.

I don't know whether to be impressed or not - £25,000 to set up, traps to be checked daily for 60 days, so far 45 newts retrieved. Amazing what has to be done for a protected species.... :O

(sorry - couldn't resist the chance of the pun in the title!) ;)

When I did my recovery tractor course for the RNLI at Qinetic's hush hush off-road test facility*, we were not allowed to drive into the "bogging tank" until we'd all had a quick sweep for newts. Four of us walking side by side staring at the ground like police carrying out a forensic search! They're tiny. I only ever saw one in the mud the whole week I was there.

* So hush hush, I probably shouldn't say that its about 5 miles north of Bournemouth airport off the northbound carriageway of the A338 at Plant Park Road...

• RMweb Gold

Electrification schemes with third rail can have distressing results on the local wildlife. Badgers in particular are vulnerable, and can be found dead, trapped between juice and running rail. The Hastings and Weymouth schemes both included extensive provision for badger-runs under the track where there was evidence of existing crossings.

No doubt some of the Nation's farmers would wish it had been otherwise - badgers are not universally popular......

• RMweb Premium

Electrification schemes with third rail can have distressing results on the local wildlife. Badgers in particular are vulnerable, and can be found dead, trapped between juice and running rail. The Hastings and Weymouth schemes both included extensive provision for badger-runs under the track where there was evidence of existing crossings.

No doubt some of the Nation's farmers would wish it had been otherwise - badgers are not universally popular......

I would suggest that had more to do with the times on which we live. Certainly I cannot imagine the SR being that bothered about wildlife had such schemes being progressed in the 30s or even BR on the 60s.

Archived