• 1 month later...
Guest Isambarduk

When I received my Ixion Fowler GWR No.1, I planned only to paint the rods, fly cranks and buffer stocks in a red to match the buffer beams but then I noticed that the flanges of the buffer stocks were missing, although the packings were represented. 

I mounted the 0.015” plastic card blanks for the flanges on an arbour and turned, milled and drilled them to shape in exactly the same way as I did for the Hudswell Clarke but they were rather simpler.  The blanks were retained with a 10BA nut and a bespoke washer that was machined along with the blanks.

GWR-No1BufferBases.jpg

In the photograph above, one flange remains on the arbour (left), two lie in front of the washer and the 10BA nut, and one is shown in place on a buffer stock (right).  Below (left) is the before and (right) after.

GWR-No1BuffersBA.jpg

In an idle moment, I looked at the control desk (below, left) and thought ‘Those gauges could do with brass bezels.’ It was but a few minutes work to turn them up but it made a huge improvement to their looks (right), it’s just a shame that they will hardly be seen when the cab is replaced.

GWR-No1Bezels.jpg

Well, I suppose you can just about see them.

GWR-No1Cab.jpg

Here is my finished model:

GWR-No1_3-4RHS.jpg

As my model was a present, I did not want to alter it too much so, apart from the modifications described above, I made only a few tweaks; in no particular order:

· Made the splits in the fly cranks deeper with a slitting saw

· Turned down the hexagonal heads on the crank pins

· Replaced the rectangular section three-links with round section

· Reprofiled the drawhooks, made an upper slot and drilled a new hole at the rear to provide some pre-load to the springs

· Made cross shafts to fit between the lower ends of the brake hangers

· Added brackets to the upper ends of the brake hangers

· Added projecting pins to the upper and lower ends of the brake hangers, and to the brake shoes

· Relieved the edge of the keeper plate to reduce its prominence below the frames

· Replaced the bendy plastic rod on the linkage to the hand brake standard with screwed brass wire

· Added an exhaust pipe within the chimney

· Replaced the Fowler horn with a GWR whistle (as per photos in GWR service)

· Added a grease point to the RHS frames

· Made longer oil pots on the tops of the bosses to the rods

· Replaced the red plastic handle on the brake standard with one of polished steel

· Painted dirty black (very dark grey): frames, sandpipes, brake gear, buffer heads

· Painted black: wheels (treads and flanges masked off), draw gear

· Painted red: buffer stocks, bases and packings; rods, fly cranks

· Lined tan (Humbrol No. 9): frames

· Lined black/orange (Humbrol No. 18): edges of buffer beams, outer ends of buffer stocks

· Varnish with Floquil Flat Finish

That was it.  Now back to what I was supposed to be doing!

GWR-No1_3-4LHS.jpg

David

Captioned pictures of my 7mm models at www.davidlosmith.co.uk/railwayengineeringmodels.htm

Edited by Isambarduk

That is fabulous, looks very smart David.  I particularly like the bezels but how on earth did you turn those down, I think I'll sort some tube finesse it in my lathe and slice them off with ................. nope I think my lathe is a bit too physical being an old, very old Myford on a 5' or 6' base.  Mind you I have no motor in it presently so maybe it will be brass tube, piercing saw and a pack of wet & dry, well there is only 3.

Lovely model David.

Regards

Edit:  just thinking a little to the side I know I can get some plastic bezels as I used to use them in my model R/C planes so maybe I can get a fret of bezels like O.s and paint them up. 

So to paraphrase the 2 Ronnie's I want some O's

Edited by Barnaby

Guest Isambarduk

Thank you, Barnaby.

"how on earth did you turn those down,"

I was asked this question (well, something along those lines) on the G0G Forum so if I may just repeat an edited version of what I wrote there, I think it'll answer it.

Now the ‘obvious’ material to make them out of would be a bit of suitably sized brass tube but, apart from the challenge of finding a bit of suitable thin-walled tube (3.8mm OD x 3.5mm ID), I am not sure about slicing off such small rings.  As I have said several times before, people who make things with only hand tools are far more skilled than I am because I just resort to machine tools, which have the precision/skill built in.

If anybody does make similar bezels from brass tube, I’d raise my hat to them and I would be very interested to learn how to do it – a posting here please!  I have never tried it but I think I'd have trouble holding onto such a thin-walled tube tightly enough to be able to part it off without crushing/coggling it so I'd be thinking of making a tightish fitting wooden or Tufnol plug to support it so that I could treat it like a solid rod.

However, I started with a bit of brass rod (5/32” or 4mm would be ideal but larger would be quite suitable) in the lathe and I drilled it 3.5mm diameter (first with centre drill then followed by a pilot drill ~ 2mm) to a depth of only 0.5mm at the full diameter. I turned down a length of a few mm of the outside to 3.8mm diameter and I then parted off the ring that was only 0.4mm deep (long); in this way, the 0.5mm wide parting off tool was working mostly in solid material and the ring came away cleanly.

How's that?

David

Guest Isambarduk

" Bezels and I would be up for at least two sets ... and another two sets of bezels! ... And then there's the question of 8 x buffer stock flanges…………..  "

Good grief ... oh well, it's not as if I had anything else to do! Any more orders? :laugh: 

David

I'm brave enough to have a go at the bezels, but if you're making some buffer stocks... Well, you have made the tooling, it would be a shame not to get some use out of it...

Just the 4 for now, if you wouldn't mind!

Best

Simon

Hello David.

I was going to have a go by hand using tube but if you can do 1 more set for me that would be great.

Not got my Fowler yet but hoping to have it by the middle of next month.  It also looks like a mod I could do and which adds some more depth to the model.

Regards

Guest Isambarduk

"Oh drat, now look what you've all gone and done……….  "

Indeed!  When I wrote "Any more orders? :laugh: " I naively thought that the :laugh: would show that I was joking!

"How easy is it to remove the buffer stocks to fit the flanges?"

Dead easy.  Just wiggle and turn them and they'll let go of the buffer beam.  They are a tight fit so I replaced them with just a push fit, no glue.  Of course, it could be the stray (spray) paint that made the tighter fit but they're not going to fall out!

On the bezels and flanges: the bezels are not so bad but the flanges are rather more exacting work, actually.  Leave that one with me .... while I hear offers of sweeties and 7mm goodies to encourage me :-)

David

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Isambarduk

I have nearly fulfilled the orders for bezels but I have recently been asked "How do you remove the cab to gain access to the dials without breaking anything?" which is a question I had been asked before at an exhibition so, thinking others might be interested, this is what I wrote:

Without breaking anything?  Yes, that is the question.  I think Ixion's manufactures in China must have found a new bottle of super glue because it's not so easily persuaded to give up as that used on the Hudswell Clarke.  Nevertheless, if you are patient and careful, it is possible to bother the joints between cab and footplate by wiggling until the glue fatigues. I read somewhere that popping the assembly in the freezer for half an hour and working with the job cold helps; I did this bit I cannot say for certain that it was any help, but I reckoned that it could do no harm.

Once the glue has let go, there also some little barbed tags on the cab side sheets (visible from underneath) that need to be sprung back to release the cab from the footplate.  The cab is not glued to the bonnet but the interlocking spigot is not keen to let it pass by  although it will do if you gently bend the footplate.  The last challenge is the rear sandpipes which are held loosely in the sandboxes in the cab but they are held in their correct positions (relative to the wheels) by rectangular plates under either side of the cab floor.  I managed to remove one of these, which made releasing that sandpipe a doddle but the other plate refused to come adrift so I just had to manipulate the sandpipe with some 'strong words' until it came out.

Putting the whole lot back is just a matter of reversing the procedure (although you can safely skip the sojourn in the freezer!) but it requires even more patience and care; the thing is though, this time you can repeat to yourself 'Well it came out, so it can go back', whereas on the outward journey, nothing was so certain.

David

Thanks David large lorry delivered the bezel load Monday this week and a return "thank you" delivery shipped out for you today to enjoy with a mugga.

That's like a cuppa but coffee not tea.

Regards

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

This just in........

post-2660-0-58281400-1409568700.jpg post-2660-0-65426200-1409568764.jpg

Ixion Fowler, DCC & Sound fitted with EDM Models sound & keep alive system. Full repaint and weathering to workaday appearance.

This was going to be the one I kept for myself (I have a further cunning plan for my own model now)  but its available for sale.

PM me if interested

This one now sold. I could do you one just like it. PM me if interested   

Edited by ngtrains.com
  • Like 14

This just in........

attachicon.gifFowler in Maroon800.jpg attachicon.gifFowler in Maroon2-800.jpg

Ixion Fowler, DCC & Sound fitted with EDM Models sound & keep alive system. Full repaint and weathering to workaday appearance.

This was going to be the one I kept for myself (I have a further cunning plan for my own model now)  but its available for sale.

PM me if interested

That is very nice indeed Paul, but sadly I have quite a few already.

Chris

Agreed, awesome needs to reserved for something like this one in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWzFgUB_D_g

And pictured below:

post-9747-0-47594800-1409660811.jpg

In fact, you might find the whole thread a very entertaining read:

http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3795-brookford-now-with-o14/page-70&do=findComment&comment=225439

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 5

Agreed, awesome needs to reserved for something like this one in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWzFgUB_D_g

And pictured below:

attachicon.gifWeathered blue Fowler.jpg

In fact, you might find the whole thread a very entertaining read:

http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3795-brookford-now-with-o14/page-70&do=findComment&comment=225439

Kind regards,

Paul

Also very nice indeed. It is gratifying to see what can be done to the basic model.