Planning a new CIE Diorama

Johnfromoz

Hi to all on the Irish section.

No doubt like many, I have been inspired by nostalgia (many childhood hours spent waiting for connecting trains at Limerick Junction) and the quality of Murphy models and kit providers to plan a simple shunting diorama representing CIE from late 70s to late 80s. Somewhere in a rural setting with a small station and engine shed/goods yard.

I know the scenecraft earlier issues of an Irish stone station and shed are long gone from retailers, and am aware the station was based on Clonmel. But what of the engine shed? Wondering if anyone knows where it was based on?

I am eyeing off the current issue scenecraft stone station and signalbox which to me has an Irish flavour, even if it is UK (maybe Scottish?) based. Does anyone have any views on whether these would 'cut the mustard' on an irish layout? The stone signalbox in particular looks convincing to my eyes.

Thanks in advance for any views,

John

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply and the helpful pointer to this source. Forgot to mention that I'm based in Brisbane, Australia, but might inquire to see postage rates etc. 

Have just put sound into my 201s and 071s. Superb, and takes me back many years to my childhood (well, the 071, anyway!).

Cheers,

John

• RMweb Gold

hi John,

Yes, it's a fair way from Brisbane to Cullybackey!

Still, might be worth giving the Maine man a call. His 'shop' opens evenings in the week, which might suit the 11hr (?) time difference. Otherwise Saturday mornings (our time!).

Good luck with the project.

all the best,

Keith

There was a similar running shed at Castlerea. The signal box is  Donabate signal box.
GNR(I) style signal cabin, with green woodwork. The Station building is part of Clonmel Station, the booking hall only.
I'm doing a rough copy of Clonmel and hope to have the full station buildings.

I would put a search on ebay for these building as they come up every so often. 

Also Scencraft will be issuing some new Irish Buildings next year including a Pub.

I would also suggest you Google Eiretrains, there you will find a great picture collection of Irish Stations and you can compare the current scenecraft building

to see if they come close..

Archived