Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Bernard Roberts

mow

The renowned pianist Bernard Roberts died recently. The Telegraph obit refers to his model railway. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10430930/Bernard-Roberts-Obituary.html

"He built a model of the entire LMS railway line between St Pancras and Manchester in the basement of his home and ran the trains along it according to a 1950s timetable. It was lovingly reassembled in the attic when he retired to North Wales."

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear of any death but, in this case and in N gauge, his house would have had a basement or attic with a perimeter length of 2,200 yards - accurate reporting by our wonderful press again then.

I imagine he did something which was once extremely common - boiling down the essential features of a mainline system to a highly simplified representation of the real thing. I remember the Railway Modeller twice featuring "railways of the month" which represented the key features of the GWR. One by John Jay, whilst the other name escapes me. I have to say that, for me, this is actually more of a "model railway" than is a perfectly scale model of a single station.

Chris

Archived