Netherwood Sidings

GWC1

Name: Netherwood Sidings

Scale: 7mm finescale (32mm gauge)

Size: 10m x 3m

Era: 1976-81

I started building this layout in the loft many years ago and it finally reached the state where it was exhibitable in 2011, when it appeared at our club show in Nottingham. Since then it has returned to the loft and show invites have not been forthcoming. Until now that is - it is having its second outing at Wakefield later this month and is booked for Derby next May. If any RMwebbers are at Wakefield, come and say Hi. There should actually be enough of us operating it for me to be able to speak to you (unlike the first outing wher I was on my own most of the time!).

I will add some posts with stuff about specific aspects of the layout, stock, OLE, etc as I get chance, but please ask if you would like to know more.

Graham

post-20179-0-95260600-1383853744_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Saw this at Nottingham a few years ago awesome layout woodhead route in 7mm my kind of layout can't wait to see it at Wakefield love the 76's and if I remember really liked the class123 dmu looking forward to updates

Brian

Well spotted Rob D2! The footbridge does indeed just stop in mid air. I ran out of space. It is based on the real one at Rotherwood which has the stairs straight in line with the bridge and goes down over the railway fence into the land beyond. I didn't have space for that. I could have squeezed the stairs in parallel to the railway but it would have been two close. In the end I took the easy route and just cut it off (like the two road bridges) close to the baseboard edge.

• Like 2

Great looking layout can't wait to see it again and get some inspiration for mine which is set in the same era and place

It says on the website it has a shed when I saw it at Nottingham I can't remember seeing it is it a new addition or is my memory just playing games with me .anyways 76's,37's,56'sand plenty of coal trains I might be loitering sometime at Wakefield

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Just found your thread Graham.   We're looking forward to seeing you at Wakefield.  There will also be another 00 layout with OHLE, Acton Parkway a WCML setting from the Halifax club.   I just hope that my OHLE work on Lancaster will look as good.

Jamie

Thanks for spotting the error in the website bri.s, a paragraph from a club layout crept in!

I am looking forward to the layout's second outing, Jamie, and a lot of preparation is going in. I have rebuilt the power supply and done a number of reliability improvements since Nottingham. The layout is entirely DCC now, apart from a visiting analogue 76, and we have 5 diesels fitted with sound. I have built 2 more 76s, and there are baseboards on the (exhibition configuration) layout that they have not yet run on! Dismantling has begun in preparation for the show and as I type this there are 2 boards behind be receiving some more vegetation in bare areas.

I will stop now and get on with some more modelling.

• 3 weeks later...

Wakefield show is behind us now - what a great show! We had some problems on Friday evening as we didn't really set up quickly enough, we are not practiced at this yet. Sorry if you saw the layout on Friday and didn't see many trains. Nevertheless, we couldn't have been that bad as we won the visitor's trophy!

We had problems with the contacts on the tortoise motors failing to make contact and causing trains to stall on the pojntwork. Gordon Hopkins, of MERG fame, was a guest operator and pointed out to me that the PCB tracks that make up the switch mechanism in a tortoise are not rated for DCC current. The answer is to use a relay to do the switching and I am planning an upgrade to the wiring to do this.

We also had a problem with the DCC system in that the sound fitted locos would shut down as soon as a controller went to move them. This bug was fixed by a firmware download to the MERG CANCMD on Sunday morning.

The operators are from the 'Deepcar' crew and operated the layout like Deepcar, i.e. lots of trains going round. We had two trains leave the fiddle yard at the same time in opposite directions, pass at the front then return to the yard. That sounds simple until you realise that we only have a single track offstage. At times we had four trains running and that demanded a great deal of concentration.

On Sunday Nick Dunhill brought along his superb prize winning EM1 'Tommy' - what a treat!

post-20179-0-56807700-1386282975_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

That's interesting Graham.  When I first bought tortoise motors I actually read the instructions and so went for the relay option and have never had problems with them even switching quite high currents.   Other people have criticised the extra complexity in the wiring but I feel it's worth it. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Look forward to seeing this (again) at Derby, it captures the weight of the Woodhead electrics like no other

Dava