Netherwood Sidings

GWC1

Thanks to all who came to see us at Moorways today. I am sorry that I wasn't able to speak to you all, we had quite a few problems today. It started with a transformer packing up, leading to loss of the -12V part of the power supply and preventing all the points from moving in one direction (the +12V was OK, so they could move that way!). It wasn't helped when I eventually found the problem and connected in a temporary supply the wrong way round, blowing up a ULN2803 chip in the main panel. Luckily we were able to revert to the original control panel configuration of the local panels connected directly to the layout. This meant there were no track circuits, only half the signals, and they had to be manually operated. This was followed by 6 loco failures, varying from collapsed compensation beams in the 47 and 40, brake gear falling off another 47 and getting tangled in the bogie, plus the inevitable broken pans that are a feature of scale OLE on a portable layout. We got on top of the repairs this afternoon and I have just fixed the panel, so hopefully we will have some working auto signals tomorrow.

I hope to see more of the show tomorrow, there are some great layouts this year. Come and say hello if you are visiting.

• Like 1

We need to see more of this. How about a track plan? Anything woodhead related gets gold stars from me.

And a plea to you show managers, how about more invites? There are always complaints of not enought new layout in shows, and here's one that needs to be shown to a wider audience.

We need to see more of this. How about a track plan? Anything woodhead related gets gold stars from me.

And a plea to you show managers, how about more invites? There are always complaints of not enought new layout in shows, and here's one that needs to be shown to a wider audience.

Here Here :good: - How about a few down the south East - We don't see many Woodhead Layouts down here, not in 0 Gauge anyway.

Cheers, Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

Good idea about the track plan, but I will have to draw one first! I did the original in AutocadLT, so I can probably export that as a jpeg.

Netherwood's next outing is to Quorn on the Great Central as part of their big model railway and model engineering show from 20-22 June, then it is Telford at the beginning of September. That's all the bookings I have for now.

Graham

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just completed the first day at the GCR show at Quorn. What a huge show! Two massive marquees, though the layouts are well speaced out in them. Just as well as they don't have barriers. Netherwood behaved itself well today. We had a few problems with some of the diesel locos brake gear coming adrift causing short circuits but the new MERG BCS1 block cutouts did their thing and cut the power and sounded a warning. It was a shame that we couldn't hear it due to the racket from the tinplate layouts opposite! I have fitted a Legomanbiffo sound chip to the 56 and this was the first chance to try it, but even at full volume it is drowned out by the tinplate.

Being in a tent, with bright sunshine outside, the lighting is superb and I have seen some great photos taken by visitors. Must get out front with my camera tomorrow!

• Like 1

Hi,

We were positioned next to you on Oulton TMD and I was very impressed with Netherwood. Awesome models and the double-headed MGR is worth seeing.

Have you finally got the noise of the roundy roundy tinplates out of your ears yet...

Cheers

Jeff

Yes. Just after lunch, when we thought it couldn't get any noisier, they brought out a big boy with on board sound wound up to the max. After an hour or so of that I went and asked them to turn it down. To their credit, they did remove it completely. The normal background tinplate roar seemed quiter then!

• Like 1

Of the tinplate?...

No thanks Jeff :nono: - Just Netherwood Sidings please  - There seems to be a lack of good pics and video of NWS anywhere :scratchhead: - Lets hope that changes soon :yes:

Cheers, Bob.

I had the pleasure of being invited to operate Netherwood for the final hour on Sunday. It truly is a masterpiece and deserves wider recognition and appreciation on the show circuit, although the theory I have that fewer bookings are made through the traditional method of an Exhibition Manager or Scout asking for details bears witness to a perceived lack of interest.

I did hear the show organisers apologise for background clatter from the Tinplate layouts, noise at shows is a contentious issue anyway and as much as I like Lionel operating accessories, can't see the point in trains constantly thundering round at breakneck speeds.

Thanks for all your kind comments about the layout. Lots of you are asking about more photos but it is proving to be a difficult layout to photograph. The problem is trying to get low to show the overhead, then having all sorts of non-model background get in the photo. I have some, though, and will post them here. In the meantime, here is a shot of a Branch Line Society railtour we ran on Sunday. Of course, it went to parts of the line not normally used by passenger trains!

post-20179-0-13700900-1403730315_thumb.jpg

As we were packing up I had to get a picture of the Netherwood signal box next to its full size brother.

post-20179-0-20122100-1403730308_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Saw this for the first time at GCR - was superb, took me back to Rotherwood in the 70s.... happy days.

Many thanks for sharing - and I had forgotten how bad the tinplate din was!!!!

Phil