Netherwood Sidings

GWC1

• RMweb Premium

I think you meant to say that you have replaced the catenary wire, not the contact wire. That is how I planned to use it on the 'Carstairs' OLE when I bought the reel I suspect you are now using for Netherwood Sidings.

After taking advice from Graham I'm thinking of doing that on the next batch of catenary that I string on Lancaster Green Ayre. This also has compound catenary and I use brass coated spark erosion wire for the contact wire and nickel silver for the rest. I used EZ line a lot on Long Preston and it is good to work with but has a habit of tangling with anything that it comes into contact with if you are not careful. I have a trial section about 3' long that I might try the EZ line method on and see how it goes.

Jamie

Yes, Gordon is correct - I replaced the catenary wire with the EZ line on sections of simple catenary (i.e. 2 wires). I replaced the intermediate (i.e. middle) wire on compound so that this wire, when it springs back, pulls the other two clear of the baseboard joint. And, yes, it is the reel of EZ line you gave me to try on Carstairs Gordon! (plenty of it left though).

• Like 1

Yes, Gordon is correct - I replaced the catenary wire with the EZ line on sections of simple catenary (i.e. 2 wires). I replaced the intermediate (i.e. middle) wire on compound so that this wire, when it springs back, pulls the other two clear of the baseboard joint. And, yes, it is the reel of EZ line you gave me to try on Carstairs Gordon! (plenty of it left though).

Not even sure where it can be sourced from in the UK nowadays. The reel in question was bought from the late Bernard Weller when he was still running Exactoscale .

• RMweb Premium

I bought mine direct from the US after finding the supplier online the firm is called Berkshire Junction. However a quick google found several suppliers in the UK This is just a random one of them.

http://www.modelsrgo.co.uk/ez-line.html

Usual disclaimer, I have no connection with the firm and other suppliers are available.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Guys,

I'll have a hunt around - been having a discussion with Andi (of Dagworth and Ravensclyffe fame) about OHL, and he's given me a whole host of pointers too.  Its a shame that Netherfield Sidings doesn't get many invites, it looks superb - i've ordered a back issue of RM to take a look.  Maybe we shall have to take it upon ourselves to organise a Midlands/Northern rmWeb day so that some layouts such as Netherfield could be seen?  Wonder if there would be any interest?

I'm not sure if you have any, or if the layout is currently in a position where any could be taken. but is there any possibility of seeing some close-up images of the OHL, specifically the arms connecting to the wires, and the assembly around baseboard joints?

Rich

Thanks Guys,

I'll have a hunt around - been having a discussion with Andi (of Dagworth and Ravensclyffe fame) about OHL, and he's given me a whole host of pointers too.  Its a shame that Netherfield Sidings doesn't get many invites, it looks superb - i've ordered a back issue of RM to take a look.  Maybe we shall have to take it upon ourselves to organise a Midlands/Northern rmWeb day so that some layouts such as Netherfield could be seen?  Wonder if there would be any interest?

I'm not sure if you have any, or if the layout is currently in a position where any could be taken. but is there any possibility of seeing some close-up images of the OHL, specifically the arms connecting to the wires, and the assembly around baseboard joints?

Rich

I will take some close up pictures this weekend and post them here.

Very pleased with my home-made transfers on my home-made ferrywagon!

post-20179-0-72820400-1477553100_thumb.jpg

It is scratchbuilt from plasticard of various thicknesses and uses cast whitemetal bogie sideframes plus some detailing bits from the Heljan Cargowagon. The transfers were made by tracing the VTG logo in Autocad then sizing it to fit the wagon drawing that I also made in Autocad. The lettering was tricky to sort out as the photos available (I bought a couple of Paul Bartlett's) are not generally of a high enough resolution to be able to read all the small print. The transfers were printed out on laser transfer paper, white for the blue stripe and clear for the black lettering.

I just have to do the other side, add the couplings and it is ready for the Harwich-Ashburys Speedlink (which I think was the last train over the Woodhead route).

• Like 5

A small milestone was reached yesterday when the first automatically operated train ran round the layout. A speedlink train behind the pair of 20s (with added brake van for track circuit purposes) ran round completely under the control of the JMRI auto dispatcher. Next challenge is to get a second auto train going round the other way. This is a real challenge as the curves at each end of the layout are single track!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A small milestone was reached yesterday when the first automatically operated train ran round the layout. A speedlink train behind the pair of 20s (with added brake van for track circuit purposes) ran round completely under the control of the JMRI auto dispatcher. Next challenge is to get a second auto train going round the other way. This is a real challenge as the curves at each end of the layout are single track!

Doesn't that take the fun out of actually running trains.?????

Jamie

Doesn't that take the fun out of actually running trains.?????

Jamie

Trying to run two trains at once, with them passing in the fiddle yard and on the double track at the front, is a challenge of coordination. JMRI lets you run trains entirely automatic or partly auto partly manual; I can run one and the computer run the other. Ideally, I could have trains running round on auto while I shunt the yard. Handy for lunch breaks at shows!

The auto facility also lets you program in 'actions' like sounds. I had the 20s start up the sound as they ran onto the scenic section then fade out again as they returned to the FY. I could also program the pans on the 76s to go up and down automatically, but as I don't have pan clearance from the timbers in the loft I won't do that at home!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After much sweat and toil Netherwood Sidings has left its home in the loft and is now crated up ready to go to Stevenage. Let's hope that the Met Office predictions of bad weather are as over-hyped as they usually are!

Netherwood sidings is all crated up and standing in the garage awaiting the arrival of the van. We look forward to seeing you all at Stevenage this weekend. The weather here in Derbyshire is fine, nice and sunny with just a light sprinkling of snow here and there.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who came and saw us at Stevenage. The layout ran well, though we did have a few problems - like when a controller started to show odd messages and not do anything. Thankfully, the writer of the handset firmware was on the stand next door and spotted that we had a damaged push button - thanks Pete! Having the system software designer on the adjacent stand was an incredible level of software support for the MERG DCC system! 

The star of the layout was the Dapol 08, though. With its Zimo sound chip it looked and sounded amazing and lots of visitors asked about it. It ran faultlessly shunting trains of 10-15 wagons up and down the yard for the whole 2 days without any wheel cleaning or other attention.

• Like 5

Glad to hear all went well at Stevenage ... and photos of the layout in action from the weekend?

Really hope I get to see it at an exhibition!

Rich

Sorry - I didn't actually take any! I don't know whether anyone else here has some, there were a few photographers looking at it.

I don't have any other firm exhibition bookings at present though I do have an enquiry for a show in late 2018.

Sorry - I didn't actually take any! I don't know whether anyone else here has some, there were a few photographers looking at it.

I don't have any other firm exhibition bookings at present though I do have an enquiry for a show in late 2018.

I'm astounded you haven't got more bookings. I saw it for the first time last weekend and was thoroughly impressed by how you had captured the look and feel of the MSW system. It certainly brought back a few memories.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hiya,

Are there any further exhibition bookings for Netherwood in the diary for 2017 at all?  Im assuming your 76s are all kit-built, who makes the kit if you don't mind me asking?

Really looking forward to seeing Netherwood at some point.

Rich

Hiya,

Are there any further exhibition bookings for Netherwood in the diary for 2017 at all?  Im assuming your 76s are all kit-built, who makes the kit if you don't mind me asking?

Really looking forward to seeing Netherwood at some point.

Rich

Rich,

I don't have any more bookings for 2017 (though I am open to them, if anyone needs a 'last minute' exhibit!). I have an enquiry about a show down south in October 2018 and it is booked for Stafford in Feb 2019.

Rich,

I don't have any more bookings for 2017 (though I am open to them, if anyone needs a 'last minute' exhibit!). I have an enquiry about a show down south in October 2018 and it is booked for Stafford in Feb 2019.

I understand Deepcar has also been enquired about for Stafford, not been at the club for a week or two due to work. I've given it a clean and run something round the inner circuit this afternoon :sungum: . The outer has a couple of joints needing attention :scratchhead:

• 7 months later...

...A line-up of most of the 76s we had at the time. We should have 9 at Wakefield.attachicon.gifRIMG0054a.jpg

Looks surprisingly impressive with 5 of the same class locomotive lined up together. I wouldn't typically think having several models of the same train would be good. 'Not another one!' Is what I'd normally say, but this looks great!

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

• RMweb Premium

Looks surprisingly impressive with 5 of the same class locomotive lined up together. I wouldn't typically think having several models of the same train would be good. 'Not another one!' Is what I'd normally say, but this looks great!

Funnily enough that was one of the things that attracted me to the original line in the early 70's.   Because most trains were double headed and a lot banked you often seemed to see large groups of 76's together.  The way they achieved this on Netherwood was one of the things that lead to me inviting the layout to Wakefield.

Jamie

• Like 1