Prototype for everything corner.

I repeat - the picture(s) were NOT taken in South Wales - and having worked at both Port Talbot and Llanwern any resemblance to either is no more than passing, the lie of the land being very different (in both cases for a start) apart from any railway features.  I suspect it might be the Erewash Valley but i don't know it well enough to make anymore than a guess based on the infrastructure - but it is definitely on the LMR, not the WR (or possibly LMR bordering onto ER?).

Thanks to Caradoc for clearing it up - makes some of this post a bit redundant now! 

Heh. My Dad used to drive the works bus at Llanwern in the 1970s

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They certainly were steam hauled, as there was very little loco-hauled stock available in the Cambridge area for the Fen Steam weekends. I was driving to Kings Lynn for the event, when I got stopped at the LC at Downham Market, and saw one go through. I thought how odd it looked.

Stewart

I now see where the confusion has come from.

There were two separate event days that Autumn. The 14/9/91 event was a NSE Gala Day, and the locos were all diesel, but on 19/10/91 there was a Fenland Steam Weekend which featured 70000, 34027 and 4472 running trips between Cambridge and Kings Lynn.

Thanks to Sixbellsjunction for the above info.

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Premium

Was watching VideoTrack issue 19 (December 1990)

Diesels with cl.312 units (like the examples on the previous page) inc. t/t 37s, 2x73 and mention of a 56. Shuttle to king's lynn at the Cambridge open day.

Also 2x20+31/4 or 26+31/4 on passenger trains

2x33+8TC on railtour

59104 on test with test car 6 and 5 x mk3 sleepers

3-car cl.156

https://youtu.be/IfBnOIyiftU

There are a good few of these videos available and are great for unusual workings, as well as reminding you how long ago things happened! (eg it mentions the first use of 'dutch' livery)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2

Was watching VideoTrack issue 19 (December 1990)

Diesels with cl.312 units (like the examples on the previous page) inc. t/t 37s, 2x73 and mention of a 56. Shuttle to king's lynn at the Cambridge open day.

I don't know about t&t 37s but here is 37218

post-4474-0-11253600-1457895200_thumb.jpg

The 56 was 065

post-4474-0-40588400-1457895203_thumb.jpg

And the two 73s were 129 and 103

post-4474-0-59498700-1457895206_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Must have been fun getting them through the washing plant sideways!

Simples. Poke one end into washer. Reverse out to nearest points.

Through run around loop to points at opposite end. Back up to washer to poke other end in!

I'd love to know exactly where that 59 was taken. I'm local and it looks so familiar, but....

Stewart

Could it be just north of the A14? That could be the A14 bridge on the far left and the electricity pylon might right as well.......hard to tell so just a guess really.

Are the shots of the 37, 56 and 73's taken at Waterbeach?

[Edit: I don't think my location for the 59 is correct....had the wires got that far?]

Edited by Lord-Claud-Hamilton

They could be Waterbeach, but there are no clues to location written on the slide mounts. The background seems very familiar to me and I thought it might be somewhere near Littleport but the flat horizons can all seem the same in that area, and it could just as easily be south of Ely.

From memory, every passenger train comprising more than two coaches was required to take banking assistance up the Lickey, so this wasn't an uncommon occurrence.

You do wonder though, since Lickey bankers did not couple on to the train they were 'assisting', just how big the gap was between the train and the pannier at the summit!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Those piccys are taken at the south end of Waterbeach Station (up road). The Nissan style building was removed recently for the new Locking fitters workshop....

Andy G

Fancy a bracket signal for the garden? Theres one in the undergrowth on the downside there......

Edited by uax6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In the prototype for everything category, I've just come across this.

http://www.chinarailcart.com/products/billet-handling-trailer-transfercart.html

The wording is probably a poor translation, but it seems as if the car is powered by electricity from the running rails, picked up by the wheels...

• Like 1