Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium

I'm guessing it's to keep diesel fumes out of the trainshed and/or provide an overrun if train smashed the buffers.

I always thought the idea of a train shed was to

provide protection from the weather for passengers

(or does the sun always shine in Tralee),

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I always thought the idea of a train shed was to

provide protection from the weather for passengers

(or does the sun always shine in Tralee),

That's a rather Victorian view of passenger service, before the Elfin Safety Zealots got hold of railways.  The sun rarely shines in Tralee.  Didn't you know why Ireland's so green?  :sungum:

• Like 2

Tralee was originally a through station. once the line to Fenit and the North Kerry line were closed a bufferstop was put at the platform end, allowing trains to still use the train shed. Later the goods yard was converted to an additional car park, accessed through the site of the buffer stop. The new arrangement moved the bufferstop further down the platform, as shown above.

Edited by 108

• RMweb Gold

Tralee was originally a through station. once the line to Fenit and the North Kerry line were closed a bufferstop was put at the platform end, allowing trains to still use the train shed. Later the goods yard was converted to an additional car park, accessed through the site of the buffer stop. The new arrangement moved the bufferstop further down the platform, as shown above.

Interesting but still does not fully explain why the buffers are at the opposite end of the Tran shed to the car park access. The first picture below is taken from the car park access and shows a fence separating the road from the Fenit end of the train shed.

post-158-0-91116500-1511766012_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-55544800-1511766293_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-58847600-1511766129_thumb.jpg

Renumbering a pre-TOPS loco and not sure whether to include the 'D' prefix or not? Why not hedge your bets and do both, as in this picture of Meld​ - the leading end is 9003, the far end is D9003.

post-24907-0-40840900-1511858905_thumb.jpg

9003/D9003 at Darlington on 24th March 1970

Trevor

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The shot of Meld at Darlington is very atmospheric, with the secondman looking back for the 'tip' and the steam heated mk2 stock, not often photographed in steam heated action.  Another anomaly is that I cannot see (perhaps I don't know where to look!) any electrification warning stickers on Meld.

The shot of Meld at Darlington is very atmospheric, with the secondman looking back for the 'tip' and the steam heated mk2 stock, not often photographed in steam heated action.  Another anomaly is that I cannot see (perhaps I don't know where to look!) any electrification warning stickers on Meld.

Having looked through a number of photos, I haven't spotted any Deltics with Electrification flashes in the late 60's/early 70's, so not really an anomaly, although I hadn't spotted they were missing before. I wonder when they started to receive them. It is an excellent atmospheric photo. I can recall being in the some sort of pose on many occasions working on them.

13929467359_5952b7d233_h.jpg55013,. [ECML-27] by Paul James, on Flickr

Paul J.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Probably when displaced on the ECML by HSTs and began to work over the Pennines into LMR territory with OHLW.

They worked under the wires for the last four or five years of there lives from Hitchin to King's Cross

Still has a 34G shed plate.

• RMweb Gold

If Deltics in general never had OHLE warning stickers, and if I'm honest I'd have to say I've never looked but will now, they are pretty unique; the stickers were more or less universally applied everywhere, even to Southern 3rd rail 750v dc stock which would hardly have been expected to run under 25kv cables under any circumstances.  I used to be mildly amused in a juvenile sort of way at the thought of some poor railwayman on the SR electrocuting himself on the 3rd rail while gazing skywards looking for the lethal cables he'd been so thoroughly warned about, but that was the sort of silliness I went in for in those days...

• RMweb Gold

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone proved me wrong (I love this site!).  Of course, 25kv flashes would be particularly inappropriate on a 1,500v loco, even if they did work in to Manchester Piccadilly.  I officially give up!

What exactly was the BR policy on applying OLE warning flashes; Did they really consider every type of loco and vehicle, and decide how likely it was to actually work under OLE, and apply the flashes accordingly ? I would have thought it more likely that the flashes would have been applied universally.

• RMweb Gold