Prototype for everything corner.

Interesting. I presume the piece of timber is being used to assist a propelling move, rather than as a walkway between the engine and wagon. 

Called 'poling' in North America (and completely banned now!). Used, as in the picture in  post#1521, to move a car on an adjacent track. There's a short video of it in steam days in this post:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125654-unusual-propulsion-methods/?p=2831877

Called 'poling' in North America (and completely banned now!). Used, as in the picture in  post#1521, to move a car on an adjacent track. 

Some places they use buses to bring people in on Polling Day  -  obviously chose to borrow a few spare wagons instead ..........

• 2 weeks later...

Look at the rear 'numberboards' on this CN C40-8M! What would people say if a model of this condition showed up on E-bay?

post-1771-0-58793600-1533789416.jpg

Still in BC Rail colours, and with its BC Rail number (which did fit in a gap in the CN numbering scheme), 14 years after CN took over BC Rail.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Have you got signal wires on your layout? Do they run past the end of the platform ramp? Just use a redundant length of old cast-iron drain pipe and thread the signal wire through it. Job done!

Not sure if it's intended use is to prevent a tripping hazard (from the signal wire) or as a "kerb" for the edge of the tarmac ramp. I suggest it is working better as the former.

I've seen orange plastic pipe used for this purpose, upturned concrete troughing and even concrete "Propane" inverts, but this is new one on me. I suppose it does adequately serve the purpose. Taken at Gilberdyke today, at the country (Hull) end of platform 1.

post-32776-0-43167600-1533827845_thumb.jpg

post-32776-0-90111900-1533827940_thumb.jpg

Regards, Ian.

post-32776-0-43167600-1533827845_thumb.jpg

post-32776-0-90111900-1533827940_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

On another note, whilst out with the camera earlier today, I finally managed to get some photos of a redundant crane on one of the once very busy, but now defunct wharfs, on the River Ouse opposite the BOCM at Selby. I've been meaning to take some photos of it for a while and finally managed it today. It hasn't been used for quite a few years and I don't know the makers details but in the last photo I think part of the name is "Hubbard", so it could be one from "Taylor and Hubbard" of Leicester,  I'm sure someone out there will be able to confirm this (or otherwise).

Unfortunately (from a photographic point of view) the crane and wharf are fenced off, so I wasn't able to get close up to it and could only view it from one side. However, it may provide someone with inspiration for modelling one on their layout, or even just the "weathering" aspects for cranes in general, or any bit of rolling stock items. By the way, it is viewable on Google maps.

Hope the photos are of some interest.

post-32776-0-21178000-1533830879_thumb.jpg

post-32776-0-15602500-1533830936_thumb.jpg

post-32776-0-56530200-1533830963_thumb.jpg

post-32776-0-55050800-1533830986_thumb.jpg

post-32776-0-18537200-1533831013_thumb.jpg

post-32776-0-56365600-1533831039_thumb.jpg

post-32776-0-02178600-1533831083_thumb.jpg

post-32776-0-89577200-1533831124_thumb.jpg

post-32776-0-37012000-1533831155_thumb.jpg

Regards, Ian.

• Like 16

Have you got signal wires on your layout? Do they run past the end of the platform ramp? Just use a redundant length of old cast-iron drain pipe and thread the signal wire through it. Job done!

Not sure if it's intended use is to prevent a tripping hazard (from the signal wire) or as a "kerb" for the edge of the tarmac ramp. I suggest it is working better as the former.

I've seen orange plastic pipe used for this purpose, upturned concrete troughing and even concrete "Propane" inverts, but this is new one on me. I suppose it does adequately serve the purpose. Taken at Gilberdyke today, at the country (Hull) end of platform 1.

attachicon.gifDSC06719.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC06723.JPG

Regards, Ian.

I thought that tube was for mice to scuttle through safely, thus avoiding them being trodden on by people walking off the end of the platform!!

Ed Chap

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

On another note, whilst out with the camera earlier today, I finally managed to get some photos of a redundant crane on one of the once very busy, but now defunct wharfs, on the River Ouse opposite the BOCM at Selby. I've been meaning to take some photos of it for a while and finally managed it today. It hasn't been used for quite a few years and I don't know the makers details but in the last photo I think part of the name is "Hubbard", so it could be one from "Taylor and Hubbard" of Leicester,  I'm sure someone out there will be able to confirm this (or otherwise).

Unfortunately (from a photographic point of view) the crane and wharf are fenced off, so I wasn't able to get close up to it and could only view it from one side. However, it may provide someone with inspiration for modelling one on their layout, or even just the "weathering" aspects for cranes in general, or any bit of rolling stock items. By the way, it is viewable on Google maps.

attachicon.gifDSC06763.JPG

Regards, Ian.

When you enlarge the last photo, it clearly states,

TAYLOR HUBBARD

MAKERS

LEICESTER

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

How about a scenic prototype that looks straight out of an old Hornby catalogue:

post-16293-0-79230200-1534442550_thumb.jpg

This is just 'north' of Aberdeen Joint Station on the line to Kittybrewster.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

How much interest can you cram into your model?

A two platformed station (with usual lighting, seats, etc.),

a DMU (or any train/loco of your choosing),

a human figure,

a barrow crossing,

a road crossing,

crossing gates (again, type of your choosing),

PSR signs,

a set of points (admittedly just out of shot),

a semaphore signal on a concrete post (too prescriptive?, then you can make your own choice),

a signal box,

a house,

a coach (or other road vehicle of your choosing - this one is partially hidden),

trees, oh...

and an eight-sail windmill.

Too much?

Here's a photo I took at Heckington way back in 1999.

post-32776-0-43411400-1534534992.jpg

Hope it is of some interest, and perhaps encouragement to any modellers not to worry if you think your layout seems a bit on the "busy" side.

Regards, Ian.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

You forgot to mention the (rather incongruous) coal bunker at the end of the platform :yes:

Thanks for spotting my omission Andy. I also forgot to list first time round the MkII telecoms stump box adjacent to the coal bunker. Very remiss of me, especially as I've been on 'railway telecoms' for the last 40 years!

Regards, Ian.

How much interest can you cram into your model?

A two platformed station (with usual lighting, seats, etc.),

a DMU (or any train/loco of your choosing),

a human figure,

a barrow crossing,

a road crossing,

crossing gates (again, type of your choosing),

PSR signs,

a set of points (admittedly just out of shot),

a semaphore signal on a concrete post (too prescriptive?, then you can make your own choice),

a signal box,

a house,

a coach (or other road vehicle of your choosing - this one is partially hidden),

trees, oh...

and an eight-sail windmill.

Too much?

Here's a photo I took at Heckington way back in 1999.

attachicon.gifHeckington.jpg

Hope it is of some interest, and perhaps encouragement to any modellers not to worry if you think your layout seems a bit on the "busy" side.

Regards, Ian.

And if the photograph had been 20 to 30 years earlier, the track would have been double throughout and the signal would have been an ex-GNR somersault.