Prototype for everything corner.

6 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Have you ever been tempted to just pick up a felt-tip and scrawl the loco number on the front of your class 47 model, because purchasing transfers and lining them up precisely is such a faff?

At a guess I'd say that's been in scrawled in grease, probably via the glove of a shunter or guard

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

On the other hand, both pans are up, so probably not a total failure - maybe only the 87's rear jumper cable is the one that's connected (i.e. on the invisible side of the train)?? Did they need both connected? Not sure

One journey, light load to bed the traction motor brushes in, maybe....

11 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

On the other hand, both pans are up, so probably not a total failure - maybe only the 87's rear jumper cable is the one that's connected (i.e. on the invisible side of the train)?? Did they need both connected? Not sure

The SR EMUs only needed one of the control jumpers to be connected, so your maybe is probably right...

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Not any more - there seems to be a whole mish-mash of designs to denote first class now.

Isn't that a tad confusing for the passenger.

• Agree 2

37518 & 33029 with failed 66603 at Winwick Junction on 5th April 2019 working 6H51 1101 Hardendale Quarry to Tunstead Sidings. West Coast loco's worked the train from Balshaw Lane Junction to Crewe Basford Hall Yard. 

2) 37518 & 33029 with failed 66603 at Winwick Junction on 5th April 2019 working 6H51 1101 Hardendale Quarry to Tunstead Sidings. West Coast loco's worked the train from Balshaw Lane Junction to Crewe Basford Hall Yard

Mark

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jf2682 said:

Hard to believe that with all the experience of the AEI motors that a special run would be required post works for anything at all, and surely the brushes would come pre-formed.

Not really, although they are profiled, they will never make full contact until properly bedded in. Auxiliary equipment and generators can be bedded in with 'comm-sticks' as we called them. Traction motor brushes are made of a slightly softer carbon that wears far quicker, so require replacing sooner. The only other brushes we never bedded in were those in class 50 radiator cooling fan motors, only because they run off the up to 1000 volts that the ETH generator sticks out.

Not sure if works repaired motors would be test run in the shop, but you'd need a pretty sturdy rig to do so, hence assisted test runs before re-entering traffic. Ours was 09.10 Padd-Oxford, test loco on the front though, usually the train loco on the return if passed fit.

Dave

• Informative/Useful 3

T/Ms when overhauled were usually tested on a rig, so brush would get bedded in. I remember doing so EE538 on rig at Donny as phase test when I was there as an apprentice. They were usually run up to full speed, with a short burst at overspeed.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 04/04/2019 at 18:51, 101 said:

At a guess I'd say that's been in scrawled in grease, probably via the glove of a shunter or guard

Well, whatever it was, 47567 got around a bit while the number was in place. 

Here it is passing Teignmouth....

1748127453_47567teignmouth1993.jpg.d73b7d428dcd6dc242a4c8f93d2401f8.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

That's an entirely standard Class 08 wooden door, nothing unusual about it. The unpainted frame wasn't uncommon on BR green.

Well you learn something new everyday on RMWeb.

It looked like a domestic door to me, but seeing

the other pictures which have been posted, I can

see it's a standard fitting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rab said:

Well you learn something new everyday on RMWeb.

It looked like a domestic door to me, but seeing

the other pictures which have been posted, I can

see it's a standard fitting.

The next 09 3722 has  aluminium doors fitted.