Prototype for everything corner.

33 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

This would be fun to take to an exhibition.....

You could probably put the 73 between the TC and the wagons and drive from the front of the unit too. (Or could you? No EP brakes on the wagons... best wait for a proper expert to come along)

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

This would be fun to take to an exhibition.....

IMG_20190531_152548_531.JPG

Looks like just to the east of Brockenhurst taken from the footbridge that replaced the crossing at that point, with the playing fields of Brock College to the left. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Zomboid said:

73s (like most dual fitted locos) can translate air to vacuum, so it's plausible that they could convert an EP signal to air. They're doing that anyway for the loco brakes.

You had to use auto air if there were any non-EP vehicles in the formation otherwise those vehicles would not respond to brake applications and would effectively be just through piped*.  This was also true for a 33/1 or 74 propelling TCs.

* The RB in the 8VAB and the two RMBs which were fitted with 27 way jumpers and waist level air pipes did not have EP brakes and so ran unbraked in emu formations when the EP brake was in use.  The boat train TLVs did have EP brakes.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

An ex-colleague of mine was working in one of the larger depots on the Southern in BR days and needed to shift a few wagons. (I think he was unloading something but it was a long time ago) The operating kicked the passengers out of the rear unit of a train at the local station uncoupled it, then used it to power his engineering train. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nick Holliday said:

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, as there is over a hundred years between this and most of the posts here, but I couldn't resist its oddity.

Hidden away in the quietwomansrow website, referred to in another thread on refuelling diesel shunters, is this gem. Who would think of including a siding running diagonally across a simple lifting bridge? The scene is, I believe, somewhere around Pill.

4572095961.jpg

As you say, an absolute gem - well found!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, as there is over a hundred years between this and most of the posts here, but I couldn't resist its oddity.

Hidden away in the quietwomansrow website, referred to in another thread on refuelling diesel shunters, is this gem. Who would think of including a siding running diagonally across a simple lifting bridge? The scene is, I believe, somewhere around Pill.

4572095961.jpg

It is alongside the Eastern Valleys line just to the north of Mill Street in Newport.  The building on the further bank of the canal is the Cordes (Dos) Nail Works originally founded by J,J. Cordes  c,1857 although the original company (J.J. Cordes)  went into liquidation in 1903 to be succeeded by Cordes (Dos) Works Ltd. (Gwent Archives reference below in respect of the company history).

The Eastern Valleys Line is to the right of the picture and the visible track layout seen in the photo matches that shown on the 25" OS map for the period prior to WWI.  The signal near the bridge was worked by Mill Street South Signal Box.

http://www.gwentarchives.gov.uk/media/21567/d169-d372-cordes-dos-works-ltd-mss.html

• Informative/Useful 2

Further to Mike's post above, I have found a much better copy of the photo in Canals of Wales by Ian Wright.  His caption confirms what Mike says and adds that it was taken in 1914.  The canal boat is carrying coal and apparently headed for Allt-yr-ynn brickworks on the Crumlin arm of the Monmouthshire canal.

Location can be found here: https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/331010/188741/12/101138 (you will probably have to zoom out a bit to see it).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

What's even odder is that it ISN'T just ONE simple lifting bridge but TWO and the track obviously crosses from one to t'other on the skew .............. nah, totally implausible - whoever built a model like that end expected anyone to believe it ??!?

I assume maybe it's done like that so that track isn't impeded by the lifting wires as would happen with one wide leaf?

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

Probably more due to keeping the pivot columns out of the way of the track than the wires, I  think.  That and keeping the weight down for manual lifting.

Weight shouldn't be a problem as they should be counter-balanced

In theory - practice was somewhat different.  Somewhere in the family archives there is a film of my 15 year old self going up and down like a yo-yo while trying to open one of those things of similar construction on the Llangollen canal.

• Funny 2

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 13:55, Nick Holliday said:

...I couldn't resist its oddity.

4572095961.jpg

It has one possible problem from an operating model railway perspective, it is probably worked by horse (note the cleats on the bridge deck) unless it was gravity right to left, capstan haulage left to right (could that be a guide roller on the bank to the right of boat?). But quite wonderful withal. 

14 hours ago, dana said:

A Pub that allows dogs (rarity here )  spotted in Fairhaven  Washington usa

dog_saloon2.jpg

pub_4.jpg

Don't get too excited, the age restriction is going to be a little challenging for most canines.