Prototype for everything corner.

3 hours ago, Jack374 said:

Ever wanted to run a mixed train of passenger stock and freight (nuclear flask wagons)? Something interesting and sure to raise a few eyebrows. They even matched the loco and coach!

HOLYTOWN 68006 DARING

(Flickr photo)

Jack.

Unusual also to see the nuclear flasks with only one locomotive, two being the norm,

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Unusual also to see the nuclear flasks with only one locomotive, two being the norm,

Clearly they didn't have a second loco spare but thought the coach is the same colour, no one will notice :jester:

• Funny 4

4 hours ago, ajwffc said:

The two flask wagons have been at Craigentinny for tyre turning 

And I suspect, after seeing a Twitter post from DRS showing part of a ScotRail 68 (cheers Cal), that this ensemble will be attending the open day at Carlisle Kingmoor on Saturday. I’ll be able to confirm Saturday morning! :locomotive:

This is possibly the reason for the odd consist...

Jack.

• Informative/Useful 1

Do you have an ex-GWR 'Toad' but are too frightened to use it on your GE layout in East Anglia for fear of derogatory comments? 

Worry no more. 

Here is B17/4  no 1663 'Everton' approaching Cambridge with a goods train on 28th July 1949. 

1663_cambridge_28:7:49.JPG.856486f62c35567e07f5acdd1ed9460c.JPG

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Do you have an ex-GWR 'Toad' but are too frightened to use it on your GE layout in East Anglia for fear of derogatory comments? 

Worry no more. 

Here is B17/4  no 1663 'Everton' approaching Cambridge with a goods train on 28th July 1949. 

1663_cambridge_28:7:49.JPG.856486f62c35567e07f5acdd1ed9460c.JPG

One even made it Ashington Colliery complete with Guard stuck in hatch in van end trying to uncouple on the move!

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

I am high-jacking my own thread (rather than starting a new one) to show this interesting photo of A3 'Humorist' at Cambridge on 3rd August 1949. 

According to sources I can find on the internet, this loco should have been wearing Apple Green livery at this time, but if that is true then the Kings Cross cleaners seem to have missed this one for many months. It was renumbered towards the end of June 1948 and painted BR blue in October 1949 and so the photo shows the brief period between the two. 

Given my complete ignorance on the details of livery variations, coupled with the fact that I do not have a copy of the relevant Yeadon, my guess would be that it remains in wartime black. 

60097_cambridge_3:8:49.JPG

Here is a photo taken in 1954 of an old coach. I have done a quick Google on DE960901 but found nothing so far. 

Does anyone know anything about the history of this, and whether it is still in existence today? It looks like some form of divisional manager's saloon. 

de960901_1954.JPG.3f301de5a39d2fde101255f20fe33228.JPG

• RMweb Premium

Departmentals.com seems to have taken its search function off, but managed to find pics of a very similar DE960902 on Paul Bartlett's site:

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/erdepartmentalstock/e21d66cc7 (plus 2 other views)

DE960902, ex-GER 4-wheel Brake Third from 1890, converted to Cambridge Inspection saloon in 1925

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, keefer said:

Departmentals.com seems to have taken its search function off, but managed to find pics of a very similar DE960902 on Paul Bartlett's site:

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/erdepartmentalstock/e206443bd

DE960902, ex-GER 4-wheel Brake Third from 1890, converted to Cambridge Inspection saloon in 1925

........... but the Carriage Register doesn't show it so presumably got broken up : the closest survivor seems to be DE960903 http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=828 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

With Hornby's new improved large prairie in the offing (although the old one would suffice), anyone fancy doing a Severn Tunnel car carrying train?

Awesomely “retro “ .We did onone occasion.Anything to avoid .....and this is so difficult to comprehend in the era of the M4 and Severn Bridge (X2)....the tidal Beachley to Aust ferry or the interminable way round via the A 40 and Gloucester then west down the A 38.. The vehicles were heavily chained to the deck of the carrying truck.The only experience later in life to compare was the SNCF Motorail from Dieppe to Avignon .But that was space age travel.

2555005_b14dee7a.jpg

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

With Hornby's new improved large prairie in the offing (although the old one would suffice), anyone fancy doing a Severn Tunnel car carrying train?

2555005_b14dee7a.jpg

At a pinch you could call it a steam hauled (Bristol) Channel tunnel train.:jester:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

At a pinch you could call it a steam hauled (Bristol) Channel tunnel train.:jester:

AKA: Cymrustar.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, rab said:

AKA: Cymrustar.

I can assure you there was nothing remotely stellar about it or its passage through the tunnel,finding a path between the endless stream of freight and passenger traffic slowly grinding its way under the Severn.It was a somewhat furtive,grubby interloper.But it was fun.It was different.

• Like 2

On 04/07/2019 at 22:04, adb968008 said:

If i said it Took 3x class 92s to rescue a set of mk5’s stuck in plat 1 at Carlilse for 3 days... would you believe me ?..

Was once on a Railtour that took 3 different 45's (not all at the same time though) to get from Sharnbrook to St Pancras - 1982 "Lindisfarne" - Old Sweats may remember the eventual 02:38 arrival in St P ……………...……. shrug me shoulders - left a message on M&D's answerphone and buggered off to Marylebone for the start of a Sunday London Depot bunking session instead of going home …………..

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I travelled on the Severn Tunnel Car Ferry several times on childhood hollys from Cardiff to points west of Bristol, and we used the Beachley-Aust as well.  The schlep around Gloucester, A48 followed by A38, was, according to my Father, about 3 hours driving taking into account the traffic in Gloucester and on the A38, notorious in those days.  The Beachley-Aust was hampered by very long queues each side to get on the ferry, and saved petrol but not time, whereas the Tunnel Ferry was a fairly smart operation which took about an hour for the whole operation, loading, unloading, shunting the stock into the platform road to board passengers, but you had to book in advance.

You could hire a tarpaulin sheet to cover your car, which was chained around the axles and chocked into position.  As in the photo, the loco was one of STJ's large prairies, and at peak times might load to 2 coaches and 4 carflats.  Furtive and grubbyis a fair description, but that prairie had to keep out of the way of the other traffic, and would attain some frightening speeds on the drop to the bottom point before hurling itself up the bank the other side.  Hymeks were used in the final days of it's operation before the opening of the Severn Road Bridge in 1969.

Pilning in those days would, IMHO, make an excellent layout; with a bit of compression there are tunnel mouths at both ends of the scenic part, and plenty of operation; as well as the through traffic and shunting the car ferry, there's the down loop where freight trains had to be inspected (unless they'd originated from Stoke Gifford or Bristol East Depot) before passage through the tunnel, and the bankers to detach and send back light engine or re-attach to down trains.  You can even justify Kings on Bristol-North to West route trains and the South Wales expresses for a short period 1962-3.  

Sideways compression would allow you to include Pilning Low Level and the Severn Beach traffic as well!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Hymeks were used in the final days of it's operation before the opening of the Severn Road Bridge in 1969.

<Pedant mode on>

The Severn Road Bridge opened in September 1966.

<Pedant mode off>

• RMweb Gold

It did indeed; yet another senior moment to add to my already impressive list.  Hymeks worked the ferry for just over a year as STJ steam shed closed 31st August 1965.

Freight trains starting from Stoke Gifford, Bristol East Depot, Bristol West Depot, Newport Ebbw Jc/Alexandra Dock, and Newport East Usk yards did not need to stop for examination before going through The Tunnel, but all others did.  There was a set of sidings kicked back off the down examination loop at Pilning for cripples to be put off in.