Prototype for everything corner.

On 25/09/2019 at 12:11, Rob F said:

I also thought it was good livery, only spoiled by the stripe around the light clusters for me. Excuse the terrible image editing but I thought it would have been better if the green stripe around the lights had been blended into the green on the body, something like the below:

1031393785_43xxxfagnewtonabbot1997.jpg.7e8d00c651b2123236544ec0a0a29cac.jpg

I think the line around the headlights styling was taken from class 91s, DVTs, etc Intercity Swallow branding just before privatisation. The GW 'Merlin' livery still had INTERCITY written on the carriages when first introduced, was there an effort to stay identifiable as an intercity service in those early privatisation years?

2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

When you are tight for space but really want to include a bridge on your layout.

FB_IMG_1569359096340.jpg

What purpose does, what looks like a check-rail, have on the right? Outside of the running rail?

I'm tempted to suggest it's the visible part of a catch point but is too close to the line it'd be protecting, an effective catch would drop the loco in the four foot in that situation. 

Just curious, C6T. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

What purpose does, what looks like a check-rail, have on the right? Outside of the running rail?

I'm tempted to suggest it's the visible part of a catch point but is too close to the line it'd be protecting, an effective catch would drop the loco in the four foot in that situation. 

Just curious, C6T. 

Maybe they had a bit of rail left over and didn't know where to put it?:jester:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, melmerby said:

Maybe they had a bit of rail left over and didn't know where to put it?:jester:

The simplest answer is quite often the right one, but it does look like it's supposed to be there. All affixed and purposeful like... 

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Perhaps their Templot program got corrupted. :)

Here's another Templot corruption -- 1 buffer stop for 2 tracks:

rlj1.jpg

It's Roe Lane Junction, Southport. The building is the maintenance workshops for the L&Y electric stock. Here's the 1927 map, the photo was taken from the footbridge:

2_100856_220000000.png

© National Library of Scotland

Here's a link to the full map: https://maps.nls.uk/view/126518903#zoom=4&lat=6551&lon=9998&layers=BT

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 12
  • Funny 2

11 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

Keeping things Irish, how about this fella from Cork..!

IMG_20190926_201501_419.JPG

What is/was it?  Frames say "tender", but the centre entry/steps seem unlikely. I wondered about some sort of early brake vehicle, given what appear to be sandpipes. And I assume that upper bodywork came about because some past railway servant needed somewhere to keep his pigeons.

Edited by PatB

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Here's another Templot corruption -- 1 buffer stop for 2 tracks:

rlj1.jpg

It's Roe Lane Junction, Southport. The building is the maintenance workshops for the L&Y electric stock. Here's the 1927 map, the photo was taken from the footbridge:

2_100856_220000000.png

© National Library of Scotland

Here's a link to the full map: https://maps.nls.uk/view/126518903#zoom=4&lat=6551&lon=9998&layers=BT

cheers,

Martin.

A practical, if somewhat unusual way of trapping the two sets of lines, anything else risks dumping any errant vehicle foul of the operating lines.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, PatB said:

What is/was it?  Frames say "tender", but the centre entry/steps seem unlikely. I wondered about some sort of early brake vehicle, given what appear to be sandpipes. And I assume that upper bodywork came about because some past railway servant needed somewhere to keep his pigeons.

It's a locomotive... Yep that's right, a (vertical boiler) loco..

IMG_20190927_095516_261.JPG

Edited by Porkscratching
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, melmerby said:

A practical, if somewhat unusual way of trapping the two sets of lines, anything else risks dumping any errant vehicle foul of the operating lines.

It's a "trap" for the sidings but a well used "head shunt" (and trap) for the depot.

(I also like the 3rd rail into the head shunt.)

Plus, it's point blades (appear) to go right up to the buffer stop negating the need to have a lever on this point - just leave the point blades floating in the middle (but still tied together) and it will always be right for which ever road attempts to buffer-up.

Kev.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, SHMD said:

It's a "trap" for the sidings but a well used "head shunt" (and trap) for the depot.

(I also like the 3rd rail into the head shunt.)

Plus, it's point blades (appear) to go right up to the buffer stop negating the need to have a lever on this point - just leave the point blades floating in the middle (but still tied together) and it will always be right for which ever road attempts to buffer-up.

Kev.

Are there any "blades"?

I assumed the the two tracks arrive at the buffer stop in parallel. There is no sign of any tie bars.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Are there any "blades"?

I assumed the the two tracks arrive at the buffer stop in parallel. There is no sign of any tie bars.

I have tended to assume that too. However, If you look at the map, you can see a switch toe drawn inside the buffer end of the track. That may be a draughtsman's wrong assumption, or it may be the result of actual survey. Buffer stops are normally drawn as a single closed end on the rails.

cheers,

Martin.

Re ClassixT's comment about check rails outside the running rail,  I think I have seen various versions of this, sometimes just an angle iron or some other bodge,  actually on the bridge decks.  I have always thought that this was to make sure any derailed vehicle plunged over the side.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, adanapress said:

Re ClassixT's comment about check rails outside the running rail,  I think I have seen various versions of this, sometimes just an angle iron or some other bodge,  actually on the bridge decks.  I have always thought that this was to make sure any derailed vehicle plunged over the side.

Surely to make sure they DID NOT plunge over the side!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

I have tended to assume that too. However, If you look at the map, you can see a switch toe drawn inside the buffer end of the track. That may be a draughtsman's wrong assumption, or it may be the result of actual survey. Buffer stops are normally drawn as a single closed end on the rails.

cheers,

Martin.

I've blown up the photo best I can and it doesn't look like the two sets of rails meet.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

There doesn't appear to be any slide chairs either.

Doesn't make sense to actually provide the working elements of a turnout here, and I think it is most likely that the two roads are simply 'interlaced'.  They can share a common set of buffer stops, but hitting the stops hard would result in a major blockage across the junction!

• Like 1