Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
On 28/09/2019 at 13:16, Metr0Land said:

Do you have lots of loco tenders lying around from various projects?  You could have a steam hauled weedkilling train.

4001624845_d1d8367825_z.jpgN class 31829 leaving Redhill for Tonbridge with a Weedkilling Train 21 July 1955 by Charlie Verrall, on Flickr

And if you want a bit more detail for modelling purposes ...........

Came across this on eBay and just had to buy it.

No details sadly (location, date, loco/tender type, etc.), but perhaps there will be one or two more enlightened members that could have a go at identifying the type of tender, which could then possibly i.d. a region? However, going by the dress code of the gent in the hat, I would have a guess at the date of 1920s, possibly 1930s?

Love the 'guards' to protect the rail heads.

1794707776_WeedKiller.jpg.8d23d76ef264f3b324f61175b84a8160.jpg

Edited by iands
Correcting p1$$ poor typing on my part.
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The guy in the hat certainly looks post WW2.

Quite possible, I'm no fashion expert, I just thought the guys hat, shirt collar and style of boots looked pre WW2 but am more than happy to be corrected.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

The coaches behind look like they could be Collett bow enders and the tender like a Collett 4000 gallon.

Would they be using an Collett 4000 gallon tender for weed killing?

Didn't they normally use redundant tenders from withdrawn locos?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

12100240_450_450_73045_0_fit_0_8040275f4

This is taken 21 April 1937 near Oswestry

Another:

3054768.jpg

There are several photos on the net of this in operation, including the one by iands.

Edited by melmerby
Added picture and more info
  • Like 6

A friend recently posted on FB a picture of an HST power car running light along the GN main line through Welwyn Garden city, going light to bounds Green to sub for one that had been involved in a "shunting incident". Another prototype for everything. I don't know if it's possible to post a link to the FB photo on here.

6 hours ago, roythebus said:

A friend recently posted on FB a picture of an HST power car running light along the GN main line through Welwyn Garden city, going light to bounds Green to sub for one that had been involved in a "shunting incident". Another prototype for everything. I don't know if it's possible to post a link to the FB photo on here.

Not forgetting the shortest HST to carry passengers: http://www.luxsoft.demon.co.uk/village/hst.html

Cheers

David

• Like 3

15 hours ago, iands said:

Quite possible, I'm no fashion expert, I just thought the guys hat, shirt collar and style of boots looked pre WW2 but am more than happy to be corrected.

Don't forget there was a war in between and lots of things didn't have a chance to change - though, perhaps you'd expect demobbed army boots ......... but if the photos are dated 1937 it's NOT post-war ! ( The guy on the far side controls looks the same so all three pictures probably contemporary.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

Don't forget there was a war in between and lots of things didn't have a chance to change - though, perhaps you'd expect demobbed army boots ......... but if the photos are dated 1937 it's NOT post-war ! ( The guy on the far side controls looks the same so all three pictures probably contemporary.)

Railway workers were in the reserved category so didn't have to serve in the military.

The first picture is not the same time/location as the couple I posted, which are from a group of 4 supposedly taken at the time of it's introduction.

One assumes not too long after as some of the crew seem to be the same..

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, melmerby said:

The guy in the hat certainly looks post WW2.

I'll have to disagree with you there- that is definitely a pre-war hat. Late 40s style was for a lower crown.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Railway workers were in the reserved category so didn't have to serve in the military.

The first picture is not the same time/location as the couple I posted, which are from a group of 4 supposedly taken at the time of it's introduction.

One assumes not too long after as some of the crew seem to be the same..

The Schedule of reserved occupations was drawn up in 1938, the year after the photo...

personnel ex miltary like my grandfather joined GWR 1936..

Edited by TheQ

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

There were, I believe, significant numbers of demobbed army boots around at the time even if the wearers weren't demobbed squaddies themselves ................. but we're talking 1937, after all, so that's irrelevant.